General Chat / Memoirs of a Geisha

• Rhynos%s's Photo
    Oh my, God! If this wasn't the most overall best piece of cinematography, then someone tell me. I don't know if my heart is so in love with this film just because I love the culture or because it's a masterpiece, but the movie is STILL giving me goosebumps 5 minutes after it's been over with. The sound/score is more amazing than I thought. The acting is sublime, as well as the setting and awe-inspiring environments. I had no idea such amazement existed in today's abilities. I know this came out back in December (I think), but I just got the chance to see it on DVD and I now have a higher set bar in which movies are now compared to. I guess you could put whatever you thought of the film here (I didn't find anything in the database, so I assume this thread is new.)
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo
    I saw it recently. It was much better than I expected. I wasn't expecting much though, considering the score on RottenTomatoes.com. However, I can't say I love it. It was pretty good in all regards, and I agree that everything you mentioned was well done, but I didn't find it particularly interesting. Still, the fact that it kept me watching fairly intently the whole time means it was pretty good. Just not really my thing, I guess. Plus, I've watched enough anime to have already seen the geisha story done plenty of times, though this obviously went into a lot more detail. Maybe I've been oversaturated in the culture from going to UCI, so I didn't find it quite as interesting as I could've.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    I will have to see this now, thank you.
  • vTd%s's Photo
    It wasn't any good. It looked and sounded nice, but it was utterly empty, and had more in common with a terrible afternoon soap opera than anything else. The acting is mostly abysmal (stemming from the fact that no one in the cast beside Yeoh or Watanabe can properly emote in the english language), the writing was even worse.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading