General Chat / Revolution...

• ƒirst?ay%s's Photo
    http://www.jeux-fran...03721_0_big.jpg

http://www.jeux-fran...12321_2_big.jpg

http://www.jeux-fran...12320_0_big.jpg

http://www.jeux-fran...12320_1_big.jpg

I hate to say it but they look kind of cool. Not that the controller allows any ports from other consoles (well...that's going to stop anyway, because the specs are so diverse).
  • hobbes%s's Photo
    Very, very interesting.
    It will revolutionize (pun intended) FPS as we know it. But what else? Baseball games, sure, golf as well, archery, fishing, jousting... Football I suppose, if you hold the controller backwards. Soccer would be a bit more difficult. Tennis would work well. Multiplayer games could get crazy... I'd love to have a SuperSmash Bros. with this, where you're swinging the thing like mad to wallop on the other characters. RPG's might be a bit more difficult, though the menu systems will be quick and easy to navigate. Sword-swinging would be awesome, and magic as well. Walking might be interesting if you have to hold the stick down whilst pressing buttons and/or moving the controller. I guess the control stick is in the other hand though. I think a Zelda game would work well, but a game like Obivion would fit excellently, if the Rev can handle it. Based on these screens though, I'm surprised at the power the Rev has. Nintendo isn't known for the best hardware anymore, but this appears to be up to par with or above some of the 360s games. I haven't seen many PS3 shots, but I imagine it will be the strongest graphically.

To summarize: I'm surprised. Very, very surprised.
    I initially didn't take to the idea, but after seeing it in action and the immersion it will bring... Hell yeah I'm waiting for the Rev.
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo
    shh... nintendo is doing this in response to the childhood obesity epidemic.

actually i don't even know. but i do know that this looks pretty fun. i want to play smash bros on it.
  • Blitz%s's Photo

Very, very interesting.
    It will revolutionize (pun intended) FPS as we know it.

View Post

I've been saying this forever =)
  • JBruckner%s's Photo

I've been saying this forever =)

View Post

GAWD UR SUCH A PUNDIT.
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    it's my way of concuring, please don't misjudge my intent.

Edited by Blitz, 09 April 2006 - 08:45 PM.

• Coasterking2k%s's Photo
    How the fuck are you going to play racing games on that thing? My favourite genre, that's why i'm asking. IMO that controller should be released seperately alongside a standard joypad style one so people can choose to use it if it suits their favourite genre.

Or the other way round, a standard pad available for people who don't have the room to use that one, can't get used to it, or play the wrong kind of games for it.

I'm wondering if this will cause the console to have a much smaller choice of games than the other next gen consoles? With the PS3 and 360 looking amazing and having great games either released or in the pipeline, this is going to have to pull off something a little more exciting IMO. It all seems a bit gimicky to me.
  • ƒirst?ay%s's Photo
    ^ I am pretty sure they are releasing a "normal" controller as well...If not, you can always play Racing games with the analog addon.
  • Janus%s's Photo
    I'm not sure I understand this entirely, from those scans.

The Revolution controller will be less of a traditional controller and more like a remote control that you point at the screen and move around, right (and possibly also with add-ons)? Wasn't that information released months ago?

If the above is correct, how will it revolutionise the FPS genre? Laser shooter games is nothing new. Swinging a controller like a sword isn't new. And so on. It just seems like Nintendo is going in the opposite direction of Microsoft, that is, more towards the "consoles as arcade games at home" than "consoles as computers only with more restrictions." That is a very good thing, sure, but it doesn't seem very new or revolutionising to me.

Am I missing something?
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    I believe what's supposed to be revolutionary about Nintendo's approach is that everyone else is moving forward on the existing videogame console model with bigger and better graphical capabilities while Nintendo is trying to go after a more casual crowd. The reason they aren't selling the thing with a gamepad is that the gamepad has become such a fixture of videogame culture and Nintendo doesn't want to cater to videogame culture with this project. I don't know if this will work out or not, but the plan anyway is to get people who normally wouldn't think about playing videogames to play by giving them a control interface that is 1)not intimidating [less buttons not more] 2)immediately intuitive [point at the screen to shoot, swing like a bat to play baseball, etc] 3)familiar [most people are used to using a remote control, you can turn the system on with the controller]. There's this gamer culture now where kids play videogames and they continue to play them when they grow up a lot of times, but it's not really a family thing. Nintentdo wants this to be a family entertainment center, not something the kids do while their parents are in another room watching American Idol or something. Sure it's going to be a challenge to figure out ways to make things like racing games work. I've got some idea -- they've already shown a seperate analog stick that attaches. You can perhaps steer with that and use the control as a shifter with the buttons to accelerate and break? Maybe a car combat game where the control stick moves the car and you can look and shoot anywhere by moving the controller? Part of the point I think of changing the interface so radically is to get designers thinking of something new instead of retreading the same old cliches that everyone else is doing.

And yeah, you're right that the sword thing and the gun thing are not new, but what is new is that you don't need to buy some extra controller to play those games with this. I've only seen one home sword controller and that costs a ton of money. And this whole revolution idea in a way takes it's cue from DDR I think, which thrives on taking a simple idea and going far with it. Nothing about the console itself is all that revolutionary, but what is revolutionary is that Nintendo is not producing a 'traditional' console system to back this up. They're going in with this as their flagship model and challenging game developers and consumers to try something a little bit different than they're used to.

The only thing that might be surprising about these pictures is that it looks like the graphics will keep up with the next generation of console systems, even if the control interface is changing completely.
  • RMM%s's Photo
    But what about them times when you just wanna sit down and play a game? You don't really feel like moving a lot. Or lets say that you cant move. You have a sore elbo. How the hell are you gonna play like that?

Thats where it gets me at.
  • spartan%s's Photo
    I think the new controler is a neat idea and some of the games would be really cool to play on it, like Super Smash Bros. like hobbes said. But I dont want to have to stand up and jump around like a dork every time I play a game though. So its got its pros and cons.

But what about them times when you just wanna sit down and play a game? You don't really feel like moving a lot. Or lets say that you cant move. You have a sore elbo. How the hell are you gonna play like that?

View Post

Yea, I mean how do cripped people get to play or if they are paralyzed or something.

O well at least the people who play all the time will get some exercise while there playing atleast.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    It's not the parapalegics you need to worry about. It's the fat lazy people.
  • lazyboy97O%s's Photo
    The GameCube controller will work with the Revolution.
  • Tyler%s's Photo
    i'm pretty sure it will fail at games. and, that fucking controller. WHAT THE FUCK. i mean, sure it's "revolutionary". but. why? OMG YOU CAN REALLY CAST A FISHING ROD!!! because those games are so popular. i mean, i love Nintendo. but. PS3 will totally demolish everything else.
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    That's the point Tyler. Nintendo isn't trying to compete with PS3 or X-Box anymore, they're trying something different. You know what you're going to get with PS3 - it's an evolution of every other video game console for the past 20 years. Nintendo's console won't be an evolution. Probably the term 'revolution' is too big of an exaggeration, but that's PR for you.
  • Dixon Steele%s's Photo
    http://www.redsteelgame.com

Just a teaser site, though.

I cannot wait for E3.
  • laz0rz%s's Photo
    Good thing I have a subscription to GI.

Unfortunately I don't have a scanner.

But there's some cool pics in that story where they show the player and then a screen of the game to show how the controller concides with the action in the game.
  • Nic%s's Photo
    Theres also going to be another normal controller which the "remote" bit fits in to.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    Why are you all talking about things you don't really know anything about?
    Has anyone of you held the controller in his/her hand already?
    No.
    Has anyone been playing PS3-Games already?
    No.
    It'd be more saner if you talked about all the thigs when the things are ready.
    A discussion like this here is a bit senseless IMO.
    Maybe the PS3-Graphics will look crappy, WHO KNOWS?
    Maybe the Revolution Controller will be crappy, too. Maybe it'll be heaven, WHO KNOWS?
    Summary:
    Come back to this when you know something accurate.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading