(Archive) Advertising District / Fox Studios World

• RCTNW%s's Photo
    If you place the fence first then the path, it won't glitch in the last pic
  • Cena%s's Photo
    All the diagonal path looks like shit, really, a bit is okay, but everything with it, is killing the screen. 
  • Alpengeistfan1%s's Photo
    It kind of looks like you're trying to put as many different kinds of scenery into one building, it doesn't look very good.
  • thirstydeer%s's Photo
    Not an update, but a question...

By far my biggest weakness when it comes to park creation is architecture. Whether it's design ride station buildings, restaurants, or "fillers" throughout the park. I made sure I chose a wide variety of custom objects that could be twisted and turned into different things (such as NE's ProTour objects) but I just can't seem to do it.

I was hoping there are any suggestions out there so I can work on this. I've tried the basic suggestion of doing a basic building, then changing one thing at a time, making it less boxy and more "shapey". I've looked at many custom parks made by others as inspiration but in the end, I can't seem to translate this into success.

Any help is appreciated... I'm very serious about making a good park.
  • prodigy%s's Photo

I've looked at many custom parks made by others as inspiration but in the end, I can't seem to translate this into success.

But that's still the right step. I would say you have to look closer.
    First you have to check out, what kind of builder you are. In my opinion there are two kinds:
    1. The ones, who start with the raw structure of buildings and than do the details / claddings at last.
    2. The ones, who start with the claddings and all the details and than go on like this till the whole building is ready.

If you're sure, which way fits better for you, it should be easier.
  • JoeZia%s's Photo
    this had got to be one of the most perfected parks ive seen on ne and its not even close to be finnished! looks as if chris sawyer did it, only times ten. way to go!

(though people like levis & geewhz will remain the best) :p

needs a tad bit more detail and buildings.

EDIT: that last screen is disguisting, cover the diagonal fences w/ trees or something.

Edited by JoeZia, 19 March 2010 - 03:39 PM.

• thirstydeer%s's Photo
    It's been a while but as I've had to do in the past I put RCT off to the side as other parts of life got in the way - namely switching jobs and moving cross-country.

I wish I had a huge update that justifies the vastness of time that has elapsed since my last update but I'm afraid that since getting back into RCT I've had a nasty bout of "creator's block". That is, I've been unable to do solid architecture.

That being said I wanted to show a screenshot of some custom supports I've been working on a flying rollercoaster to see how you think it looks. It's the first time I've attempted semi-realistic supports on a large coaster.

This is for my Death Star Assault coaster in the Star Wars section of my park.

DEATH STAR ASSAULT

Posted Image

I'm not showing the whole coaster intentionally as I'm still working on some of the architecture - namely the station, but other then that the ride is done.

This and other screens can be viewed in previous threads or by visiting my site (banner is below).

Opinions are appreciated.
  • Alpengeistfan1%s's Photo
    The supports actually look pretty good, but not very realistic.
  • Luketh%s's Photo
    I agree with Alp. Also, extend the supports under water with 8 cars on the ones over the river.

Rest looks alright. Looks fun. :)
  • thirstydeer%s's Photo

I agree with Alp. Also, extend the supports under water with 8 cars on the ones over the river.

Rest looks alright. Looks fun. :)

I would do that but unfortunately using 8 cars is difficult because only a fraction of the time does it actually work when I turn it on.
  • thirstydeer%s's Photo
    It took a while, but I finally managed to put together some architecture to complete my Death Star Assault coaster. Most of it has been done for months but I've had the most difficult time putting together some sort of station building and supporting architecture.

After many different attempts, I settled on the following structure to be my "inspiration" for the station. To see the image I used as my main reference, CLICK HERE. I decided to build a station similar to the Massassi Temple that was the Rebel base that launched the attack on the Death Star. The temple is located on the moon of Yavin IV, and is named after an older civilization called the Massassi who worshipped an old Sith Lord called Naga Sadow who enslaved the people.

DEATH STAR ASSAULT

Posted Image

The Death Star Assault is a flying coaster and it was one of the first ideas I envisioned when I originally thought of the park. Many have suggested an inverted coaster but I have other plans for one so that's why I didn't make this coaster inverted. Essentially you leave from the temple and make your way through a semi-forested area until you hit the trench run in the Death Star. At the conclusion of the trench run the ride pretty much ends as you enter the transfer station. Another popular comment is that the supports are too close together. I am leaving that for now, but may come back to it later and adjust them. Just a note that the open space beside the lift hill will be filled eventually.
  • thirstydeer%s's Photo
    Just a quick announcement that the park has been lost due to an unforeseen computer problem. Unfortunately, the backup file isn't working either. I am going to start over again so you'll be hearing from me down the road again. It is a mixed blessing as parts of me wanted to start over again anyway - guess I got the push I needed.
  • Turtle%s's Photo
    That Death Star trench is an absolutely brilliant idea, hope you can refine that in the remake.
  • nin%s's Photo
    I advise you to use a more modern bench, it will really help bring the park to a new level imo.
  • thirstydeer%s's Photo
    Well it's only been... like a few years or so since I lost my park in progress. Lately I found my old hard drive from my previous laptop and was reminded of the game I left behind and I just couldn't resist coming back. It's actually been like half a decade or so since I first started making my second ever custom park, but I'm a stubborn guy and by gosh, I'm giving it another go...

So with that in mind, I've begun construction on Fox Studios World - a movie themed park based on the 20th Century Fox brand. The park will have the following themed areas: the as of yet unnamed midway, Star Wars Galaxy (with a sub-themed area Tatooine), Hollywood Boulevard, Marvel Studios, and two kids areas based on the Ice Age franchise and either the Simpsons cartoons or the Robots animated movie.

I do intend the park to be as real as I can make it, so I'm trying to be detailed in the layout, thinking of the "extras" that you'd find in a park, and just overall trying to improve on my archy skills, especially compared to my first ever park, Six Flags Xtreme Canada.

I've actually begun work on the park a few weeks ago, and I can only do bits at a time due to the other demands on my time, but I do have some updates to show you. The same screenshot updates you find on here can be found on my own personal RCT2 site, ThirstyDeer Online!. Now onto the screenshots...

OVERALL VIEW OF ROAD AND PARKING LOT

Posted Image

You can see here I'm working on the park from the outside in. There is one main road outside the park grounds, with two separate entrances into the parking lot. One of the entrances also leads to the RV/bus parking area, the transit shelter area, and the staff entrance. In the middle of the road is the "kiss n'ride" area where you can safely pull off the road to drop off people.

CLOSE-UP OF THE SOUTH ENTRANCE

Posted Image

This is the entrance that gives access to the RV/bus area, transit shelter, and the staff entrance. First thing to say is ignore the brick walls you see on the road. They are there temporarily and they do serve a purpose. They will be deleted when I get a bit further into the park. The parking entrance has 8 lanes to pay for parking lot entry ($6 per car). If you look closely you can actually see green and red indicators on the booths to tell you if the lane is open or closed. The RV/bus entrance is a parking lot where those bigger vehicles have room to park. It includes some picnic tables for their lunches if they eat out of the park. In keeping with one of the park design guidelines, there is ample greenspace and trees.

THE TRANSIT SHELTER

Posted Image

The transit shelter is for scheduled regional transit buses to drop off and pick up people. There is ample benches and even some vending machines for the parched ones. As you can see it's basically a big roundabout. I wanted the look to be modern but somewhat simple. In this screenshot you can also see a long road that will lead to the back area of the park where staff go to park their vehicles and to access the staff buildings such as the offices, infirmary, powerplant, etc.

VIEW FROM THE ROAD

Posted Image

As you drive along the main strip going passing the park grounds, there are several movie billboards on a brick backing along the outer field of the parking lot. Each movie billboard represents an attraction in the park (whether it be a coaster, flat ride, or live theater show). Such titles you'll see include Die Hard, Predator, Avatar, Jumper, Behind Enemy Lines, and others.

So that's it for now. I'm currently working on the section of the park entry ticket booth through the main gate.

Comments welcome.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    I like it as always. Good start.

I'm not sold on the big movie signs however. They are well executed, but they're also massive and awkward. I'd choose to pick a few movies/rides that you want to advertise as a park, for example because they're (relatively new). It's a bit weird to randomly encounter a big sign with a twenty year old movie title on it, so I'd stick to the more recent movies. Since it's a movie park by the way, it can't hurt to make them more movie-themed anyway. A casual billboard will do here actually; movies tend to be advertised in the style of movie-posters. ;) Lastly, you might want to turn the signs around 90 degrees so it's easier to read from the road.

If you like the signs too much to delete them (I like them!), you might recycle them inside the park. It will look good at the entrance for a main ride.
  • Six Frags%s's Photo
    I like your website! So you're married I see and active since 2005, you're like a veteran!
    I agree with Liam about the movie signs, they seem a bit too big and yeah, a park usually has newer movies presented. Or they have like an ongoing legacy, like Batman, Spiderman, Superman etc.. Anyways, I kinda like the realistic style you got, reminds me a bit of rctnw.
    I see you said you want to improve on your architecture, and as it's probably the hardest aspect of rct it surely pays off if you invest time into improving it. Just start simple, with like 2x2 forms and then expand on those forms, with like balconies, overhangs, windows, an entrance etc.. Just approach them like if you're designing a real life building. It worked for me at least that way (not that my architecture is top-notch tho :p )

Anyway, good luck with it and looking forward to more!
  • thirstydeer%s's Photo

I like it as always. Good start.

I'm not sold on the big movie signs however. They are well executed, but they're also massive and awkward. I'd choose to pick a few movies/rides that you want to advertise as a park, for example because they're (relatively new). It's a bit weird to randomly encounter a big sign with a twenty year old movie title on it, so I'd stick to the more recent movies. Since it's a movie park by the way, it can't hurt to make them more movie-themed anyway. A casual billboard will do here actually; movies tend to be advertised in the style of movie-posters. ;)/>/> Lastly, you might want to turn the signs around 90 degrees so it's easier to read from the road.

If you like the signs too much to delete them (I like them!), you might recycle them inside the park. It will look good at the entrance for a main ride.

The funny thing is my plan is to do the exact opposite of what you're suggesting. At the roadside will be those big signs, and in the themed area of the park where these rides are, I was going to design the path system as a road-style with large billboards at the entrances of the rides. Not sure if I want to reverse that, but I'll give it some thought.

I like your website! So you're married I see and active since 2005, you're like a veteran!
    I agree with Liam about the movie signs, they seem a bit too big and yeah, a park usually has newer movies presented. Or they have like an ongoing legacy, like Batman, Spiderman, Superman etc.. Anyways, I kinda like the realistic style you got, reminds me a bit of rctnw.
    I see you said you want to improve on your architecture, and as it's probably the hardest aspect of rct it surely pays off if you invest time into improving it. Just start simple, with like 2x2 forms and then expand on those forms, with like balconies, overhangs, windows, an entrance etc.. Just approach them like if you're designing a real life building. It worked for me at least that way (not that my architecture is top-notch tho :p/>/> )

Anyway, good luck with it and looking forward to more!

Well to say I've been active since 2005 isn't really right. I got active around then, designed one park, and then I eventually started on a second one, but on more occasions then I care to count, I ended up losing the park file or having to drop it altogether.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading