(Archive) Advertising District / Valley of the Kings

• Segaman75%s's Photo
    Hmmm... maybe some of you are sitting here wondering to yourselves why I'm posting here again. I've been lurking for awhile, my interest in RCT rekindled somehow. Yeah, I know. You can hold the applause, thank you. ;) Just kidding.

So there I was about two weeks ago... watching a bunch of shows about Egypt, and off of work while I changed jobs. I got the bright idea that, "Hey, I haven't built anything in RCT 2 in like... well, I've never built anything in RCT 2." I started messing around with building an Egyptian theme park, having so much inspiration from all those cable shows, and this is what I've been able to come up with so far:

Posted Image

Posted Image

So this is the entrance area, Thebes... or, at least what it would've looked like if it were shrunken down and made by a wannabe theme park designer sitting in front of a computer screen. ;) Go easy on me, it's my first attempt at a park in a looooonnngg time. Let me know what you think.

Justin
  • Brent%s's Photo
    Let me get it out first...

OMG SEGAMAN!!!!!!1!!1!

Ok, now... well welcome back first off. Screens look really cool/original from what's show. Although some of the scenery is kinda... not good looking, you somehow make them look fitting. Except for those tables... those... could probably go/change. But that's just me. The awnings look a bit out of place too now that I look at it again.

But still, nice. I'd say 7.5/10.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Fuckit, I'm gonna second it.

OMG SEGAMAN!!!!!!!

The bad news is that while it's nice, I find it a little too plaza like. You've got a lot of path and then just like squares of rides and stuff. In terms of a layout, I think it looks blasse here. But that could be from the limited screen view.

It's not bad. Sort of a toned down ancient themed area.

The good news is that this would probably still beat Internet City. Just cuz it's realistic. :p
  • eman%s's Photo
    I like it. The style's different, and somewhat refreshing really. It is a bit bland as Corky said, but still, not bad at all.
  • geewhzz%s's Photo
    ^Aww come on :(

Anyways, when I first looked at the screens I thought I was looking at a LL park (I can only conclude you played LL a lot!)

The way the doorways are and the roof-tops are remind me of LL.

I think it looks good though, except I agree with Cork that it's a bit too squared off. Some of the scenary is questionable whether it's RCTish looking, but it's okay I guess.

Keep it up, can't wait to see more.
  • posix%s's Photo
    ^he was a legendary rctll player in the good days?! wtf do you expect?

anyway, my turn.

SEGAMAN !!!!!!!!!! :eek:

not that i ever knew you, but certainly do i know your parks. i love them, so i'm much delighted to see you play again :)

i like the screens, but we're missing rides.
    of course, it's the entrance, there are hardly any rides, but where's the carousel? not saying it's a must, just thinking it's a segaman-park-trademark ;)

the theme convices me. maybe add a few banners at the gates.

can't wait to see where that bridge leads to.
  • mantis%s's Photo
    I'm not a fan of those scenery items that try and look more real than the original rct scenery - i.e. those awnings, the statues, the Parthenon-style columns... I prefer seeing interpretations of real things made with rct scenery that looks like it belongs (which is partly why i've been sceptical of most custom scenery).

But aside from that complaint I think it's obvious why you've always been held in such high regard - your screens are just so classy. I always admire parkmakers who produce work that is understated but oozes talent, and you've always been one of the best examples.

It's nice to see you back.
    (aside: did you used to have hulk-Homer (Incredible Bulk!) as your avatar? I miss him.)
  • artist%s's Photo
    Yeah get rid of the scenery Mantis mentioned and you will have two very wonderful looking screens.
  • Turtle%s's Photo
    I think it looks a little too flat. A couple of elevation changes for the path would be nice here and there. The screens also make it obvious to me that you've come from a strong LL background (hell, one of the strongest, i'd say). While this gives you an instant advatage over 90% of people here (you already know what looks good and what doesn't, that much is also obvious from the screens), I think that the buliding forms would benefit from a little bit more detail here and there. However, this may go against the rather elementary Egyptian architecture style. It's your call.

Anyway, nice to see you back, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
  • Segaman75%s's Photo
    Wow... thanks for the response. Hopefully I can actually finish a park or two before I go away again. ;) Just kidding.

So, too bland and flat and blocky. Yeah, I agree somewhat. However, you have to remember that Egyptian architecture was really blocky and fairly bland. There were a lot of painted hieroglyphs and carved statues, but that's fairly hard to recreate in the game. Oh, and I did come from a really strong LL background... if only that game worked on my system. :)

I appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming. Any thoughts, help, advice on how to make this better is appreciated.
  • mantis%s's Photo
    How come LL doesn't work for you? I'd be surprised if a system that runs rct2 couldn't also run LL.
    As for the statues, just some combinations of the statues that come in the game might look better (at least to me). I just think as soon as you start using images that are obviously not rct-like you ruin the overall look of the area.
  • Milo%s's Photo
    This is really strange. I was just looking at some of your old LL work. To bad you can't play it again :( .

The park looks pretty good. Especially after coming back after so long. It is kinda flat and bland but overall is nice. Maybe add some more landscaping and such. Welcome back.
  • Outlaw%s's Photo
    :X :X :X :X

Best realistic parkmaker ever.

I think the screens kick ass, though I am waiting for the midway carousel.
  • mantis%s's Photo
    Outlaw?! Heh everyone's emerging from the woodwork now :p
  • inVersed%s's Photo
    ^I agree with mantis

I quite like these screens. The architecture really reminds me of some of the older RCT2 stuff. I know where your coming from with the color scheme so the bland colors work for me. Glad to see some older faces comin out once again
  • JDP%s's Photo
    Why am I getting a realistic vibe off of this park?... intresting.

Basicly they^ said everything I was going to...
    -JDP
  • Ge-Ride%s's Photo
    I think it's a pretty nice screen. It's somewhat random, but in this case it works better that way.
  • RCFanB&M%s's Photo
    Good job...
    That looks pretty realistic, but it also looks boring...I like how you placed the buildings and stuff, but the colors are just *argh*...well, not that bad, I mean, it doesn't look bad, but I think you could use more vivacious colors.
    The foliage is nice, and you're making a good work with the theming...except for one thing...it's supposed to be an egyptian theme, right?...well, those rock columns with roof, "partenon style", are more for a greek theme, don't you think?
    Keep going.

Edited by RCFanB&M, 28 July 2006 - 06:17 PM.

• Segaman75%s's Photo
    I finally realized that there was an LL patch for Windows XP. Duh. I'm a fucking idiot. I got the old game to work again, finally. Now I'm just going through each scenario and winning so I can open up the Mega Park. Ahhh, the memories... ;)

Oh, and about my Egyptian park. I will make some modifications as suggested, but I really like what I've done so far. I know it seems bland, blocky, whatever, but that's honestly what the architecture was like. We'll see how it turns out when I've progressed more.
  • mantis%s's Photo
    You know you could just download a workbench :p Check out posix's LL thread in the Ask The Experts section.
    But then again, I suppose it would be fun to do the scenarios when rediscovering the game after a long break.

edit - and awesome to see the incredible bulk back :D

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading