General Chat / More bitching about dell

• minnimee85%s's Photo
    So I just got off the phone with tech support (after speaking to one fillipino(he actually admitted it), a mexican, and an indian---odd because I have special support which allows me to talk to americans), but after much todo I got them to send me another hard drive. Now you say thats not so bad, but this is my third, count it third hard drive in this system. The first one fried itself, and now this one fucked up the op sys, and repairing doesnt work.

How the hell does one have three hard drives on a two year old system?
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    It's your fault.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    Well, for the next time:
    Don't buy a Dell/Alienware(...)-PC.
    Buy the pieces and assemble it by yourself.
    I did it with my new PC and it worked fine.
    And whe something's f*cked up, you know that you made the mistake and not a below-ranked, unaware
    Dell/Alienware(...) probationer.

Edited by MiFuNe, 05 August 2006 - 10:05 AM.

• ACEfanatic02%s's Photo
    Erm... don't get a hard drive from Dell?

-ACE
  • minnimee85%s's Photo
    Well if I'd of had a choice, I would have built it.
    And its kindof under warranty, so technically have to get Dell's hard drive...
  • Regulatin%s's Photo
    I suggest you get an HP, they are the best in my opinion.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Not really. IMO. Well, not the laptops at least, altho supposedly they're getting better. :lol:

I plan on building my own desktop sometime after I graduate. I'll probably call on you guys for help then. :lol:
  • minnimee85%s's Photo
    Hps suck. Ive blown up about three or four...
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    My HP desktop worked like a charm for 3 or 4 years. It was a little slow but it never gave me trouble.
  • ACEfanatic02%s's Photo

Hps suck. Ive blown up about three or four...

Sounds like you've just got bad luck for computers in general.

... Not that I can talk. I'm on my fifth.

-ACE
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    HP Laptops are great. Never had a problem with this one and I even have it under 3-year warranty.
  • minnimee85%s's Photo
    My girlfriends hp laptop has this problem where it likes to overheat..a lot
  • tyandor%s's Photo
    You can always have bad luck with computers with any brand if you ask me. So Mifune self assembling doesn't garantue anything since you always have a chance of a weak part. I personally have a Dell and I did have problems with it. I went through three graphicscards, but they were all replaced after the day I called them. I do have the advantage that we have our own dutch helpdesk here though. The card I had (9800pro) did have a name though for having a design flaw in the coolingfan I believe. Ah well they replaced it last time with a 9800XT with 128mb more memory, so I'm not complaining (although I'm going to replace it within a few months anyway)
    Also don't blame your system builder for it when a certain part keeps breaking down. They just assemble the computers, they don't make the parts.
  • Casimir%s's Photo

You can always have bad luck with computers with any brand if you ask me. So Mifune self assembling doesn't garantue anything since you always have a chance of a weak part. I personally have a Dell and I did have problems with it. I went through three graphicscards, but they were all replaced after the day I called them. I do have the advantage that we have our own dutch helpdesk here though. The card I had (9800pro) did have a name though for having a design flaw in the coolingfan I believe. Ah well they replaced it last time with a 9800XT with 128mb more memory, so I'm not complaining (although I'm going to replace it within a few months anyway)
    Also don't blame your system builder for it when a certain part keeps breaking down. They just assemble the computers, they don't make the parts.

I didn't affirm that you'd have a guarantee..
    I mean, that in the case something wouldn't work properly, you could test the hardware in a friend's pc.
    (No waranty clause)
    If that wouldn't work, you'd know surely that the fault was on you, not on the system.

Edited by MiFuNe, 08 August 2006 - 11:15 AM.

• minnimee85%s's Photo
    Well the hard drive came today, and they gave me a seagate this time as opposed to a maxtor(any thoughts on the brand, ive never heard of them..)

Two problems though, they replaced my first hd with a 250 gb maxtor *Mistake as my sys only is supposed to have a 160...
    The new one is of course a 160 as the system told them it should be, Im not sure if I'm gonna be ethical here though...

Also the bitch on the phone is like "we arent trained to help in pc recovery" meanwhile the guy who origionally handled the case told me it would be no problem to hook it up and do a backup(ive since had to purchase an additional sata cable..no big really)...

Im thinking that it all depends on who you talk to at Dell. For the most part, everytime ive talked to a woman tech, shes and idiot and is very unhelpful. About 60% of the male techs I talk to are extremely helpful and know what theyre doing...so go figure..
  • tyandor%s's Photo
    Maxtor and Seagate are pretty common harddrives and as far as I know an A-Brand. I've always had Western Digital drives and they have always worked fine. It sucks that you got a smaller one, but in theory you can't say anything about it...
    The 'techs' can be stupid, but I had a common problem so that probably helps. If they can't figure it out you'll get redirected to the real techs though. Some hardware failures are hard to recognize, so I can't entirely blame them.
    btw on my previous comment I said that it's not always right to bash your assembler although I have one side note since it was Dell's fault that the first card died since they put the soundcard directly next to it denying it a good airflow.
  • Brent%s's Photo
    Apple has the best tech support... only Americans, speaking English you can actually understand.
  • sixflagsfreak56%s's Photo
    Should've gotten a mac.
  • marinersfan59%s's Photo

Well said Ty. The only time it is Dell's fault is if they mess something up with the assembly causing something to fry, or as you mentioned their air flow design issues (I just put a fan on my video card to solve this problem and moved it to a new PCI-e slot where it would have more room and it solved the issue you mentioned.

Well the hard drive came today, and they gave me a seagate this time as opposed to a maxtor(any thoughts on the brand, ive never heard of them..)

Seagate has a pretty decent reputation, however their customer support blows. I hope you like talking to people in India or the Phillippines if you need them. Also, Seagate recently bought Maxtor, so there probably won't be too many differences, especially if it's a newer model. If you're worried about overheating, you can usually find some really good deals on fans at NewEgg.
  • minnimee85%s's Photo
    Yeah, the seagate seems to be running nicely enough..

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading