General Chat / Back from Cedar Point

• penguinBOB%s's Photo
    I have been starting to get queasy on rides recently, but to prevent that, I had a "scope patch" (I think that's what it's called) that was left over from our family going on a boat ride. Those things work wonders, and last 3 days!

Anyways, here's the trip:

Wednesday:
    Leave town at 2:30pm in a big brown van. My friend's dad driving.
    Alternator blows out as we started to watch "V for Vendetta."
    Stop at Sikeston MO to get it fixed. Eat at Lamberts (home of throwed rolls)
    On the road again. Play Super Smash Bros, watch "Hidalgo," sleep.
    Check into a crappy hotel at 3:00am.

Thursday:
    McDonalds for breakfast.
    Get into the park at around 10:30am, overcast skies, lower 80s, sprinkles here and there.
    Mantis
    Mellinium Force
    Sky Hawk
    Mine Train
    Lunch
    Mean Streak
    Gemini
    Magnum XL200
    DDR at the arcade. I got my ass kicked by a friend. I suck at it.
    Wait in line for Top Thrill Dragster, I'm about to fall asleep. It gets closed due to weather.
    We decided to head to the entrance to go back to the hotel for a nap.
    Raptor
    Sleep for an hour and a half.
    Fazolis
    in the park again around 7-7:30ish
    the next five rides within an hour:
    Wicked Twister
    Power Tower
    Corkscrew
    Magnum XL200
    Gemini
    Melinium Force
    Magnum XL200
    Raptor
    Leave the park at closing (10:00PM), sleep at same crappy hotel.

Friday:
    Starbucks for breakfast
    Get into park at about 9:10ish, clear skies, lower to mid 90's temperatures when it warmed up
    Top Thrill Dragster--we were about the fifth train. Good thing we read the signs because we would have shat our pants because it didn't make it over the hill! That was awesome because we got to ride it twice. :D
    Iron Dragon
    Mantis
    Walked over to the water rides because it was hot, but the lines were rediculous.
    Gemini
    Magnum XL200
    Go Karts
    Arcade--We beat the old X-Men game.
    Magnum XL200
    Raptor
    Gift Shops--I got a nice green hoodie. (I'm starting to stock up on green because of the school I'm going to.)
    Leave Park at 7:00
    Eat at Panera Bread, on the road
    Super Smash Bros
    Sleeping

Today:
    Get home at about 7:00am

Great trip. Would have been better if we weren't tired at that one point.
    My Favorite would have to be Magnum XL200. Then it's a toss up between Mellinium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, and Gemini. Then Raptor.... Man there's too many to rate, and we didn't go on all of them.

The first ride on Magnum the second day, the brakes before the pretzel turn-around didn't work. That was awesome. :D

So yeah. Has anybody else been on Top Thrill when it didn't make it over the top?

EDIT: Oh yeah, does anybody know what they're building by Thunder Canyon and Mean Streak. There were tan supports coming out of some water, and red Intamin track. I was going to guess some kind of water coaster, but I don't think Intamin does that. The supports that were in place weren't too tall...

Edited by penguinBOB, 06 August 2006 - 12:32 AM.

• JJ%s's Photo

My Favorite would have to be Magnum XL200.

IMO that's the worst coaster there :|
  • ACEfanatic02%s's Photo

EDIT: Oh yeah, does anybody know what they're building by Thunder Canyon and Mean Streak. There were tan supports coming out of some water, and red Intamin track. I was going to guess some kind of water coaster, but I don't think Intamin does that. The supports that were in place weren't too tall...

AquaTrax?

Who knows.

-ACE
  • RCFanB&M%s's Photo
    Was there many people?, because, by what you said, it seems you rode many coasters.

Edited by RCFanB&M, 06 August 2006 - 08:49 AM.

• ekimmel%s's Photo

A teaser sign at the construction site reads "Ya'll up for some serious sidewindin'?" -- adding some creditability to the rumors that the new roller coaster will have a western theme and possibly be called Maverick.

Cedar Point was originally trying to hide this track under blue tarps. Seems they have given up on that as the tarps have been removed.

From RCDB...
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo
    Thursday was nice because the longest we waited for anything was about 30 minutes. Friday was crowded and we avoided the longer waits. The longest we waited was probably 45 or 50 minutes for Raptor. We had to wait for Top Thrill for about an hour and 20 minutes, but that was because we got into the park an hour before the rides opened.

Yeah I saw that on rcdb. But still, it looks like it'd be small, and would they name a ride Maverick if it were something water related? That's just my guess though.

JJ, I liked it better than the Mellenium because of the sequence of hills after the turnaround. Those are amazing. Mellenium is a great ride, but didn't have enough ejector air, and didn't go through a tunnel at the top of a hill. I'd take ejector air or quick toss-you-around turns like at the end of Mantis over inversions anyday.

The coolest part of the trip was going backwards on Top Thrill.
  • RCFanB&M%s's Photo

The coolest part of the trip was going backwards on Top Thrill.

I'd have liked to be there. :nod:
    Anyway, weren't you kinda scared, when you realized that the train hadn't reached enough speed? when the train stopped and suddenly you were going down backwards...
  • Ge-Ride%s's Photo
    How's that scary? You just get two rides for one wait. It would be awesome if the launch system failed four or five times and finally worked.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    I had a similar time a couple weeks back. Millennium is the best thing there to me. Raptor, Wicked Twister, Magnum and Mantis (if they let you adjust the seat right) are all pretty bad ass. Blue Streak and Gemini are great fun.

30 minute waits though... Jeez that's good... I guess no better than I got though. Only MF and Dragster were longer if we hit them at the right times.

My guess on the new coaster (nothing's been announced) is a looper of some sort. My personal favorite theory is that they're going for the inversion record with either 11 or 12 including maybe a new element (pun, heh) or two (duckbill anyone?).

But yeah, glad to here you enjoyed it, even though it's almost harder not to.

Ride6
  • hobbes%s's Photo
    Posted Image
    Surely this is available at other places, but I took a picture of the construction.
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo
    I don't know how much room they really have to build there, but for a park that size, they could use some more inversions. The supports didn't look too tall, so I don't know if it could be that or not. It'll be fun to see how it shapes up.

RCFanB&M, the sheer launch was amazing. I don't think I got over that. I knew I was safe from reading the sign, and I was kind of hoping for it not to make it anyways. And lucky me it happened.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    ^Oh, I meant to curse you for that. I've seen it stall 3 or 4 times now but none of the three times I rode it has it... The first time it seemed slowest, but still went over just fine.

Damn you for getting MY RIDE!!!!! Grrrr

Ride6
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo
    :D
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    Haha you got a short shot on Dragster? Cool stuff. I've never even seen on at Xcelerator (bad timing). It happens every once in a while. :lol:

Rumors for CP's new 07 coaster include the ball coaster, an aquatrax, and a multi looper. Looking at the supports so far, they sort of suggest aquatrax. We'll find out soon, I guess. They're keeping this in secret very well! :lol:
  • JJ%s's Photo

JJ, I liked it better than the Mellenium because of the sequence of hills after the turnaround. Those are amazing. Mellenium is a great ride, but didn't have enough ejector air, and didn't go through a tunnel at the top of a hill. I'd take ejector air or quick toss-you-around turns like at the end of Mantis over inversions anyday.

Well now i think of it its a toss up between Mantis and Magnum...
    I had a severe headache after magnum and I could barely walk after and during Mantis. I hate them both.

Was there many people?, because, by what you said, it seems you rode many coasters.

You say that. But when I went the longest time I had to que was 30 minutes and that was for Top Thrill Dragster. The rest were under 20.

Edited by JJ, 07 August 2006 - 10:39 AM.

• Magnus%s's Photo

Rumors for CP's new 07 coaster include the ball coaster, an aquatrax, and a multi looper. Looking at the supports so far, they sort of suggest aquatrax. We'll find out soon, I guess. They're keeping this in secret very well! :lol:

ball coasters is technically impossible:
    1. it can't go arround curves
    2. what are the 3 tube rails doing there if it is a ball coaster

I still would like to see a ball coaster with that kind of layout. So maybe they developed new trains to make it possible, but then again that seems very unlikely at this point.

And you should probably mention the duelling coaster rumors aswell.
  • RCFanB&M%s's Photo

You say that. But when I went the longest time I had to que was 30 minutes and that was for Top Thrill Dragster. The rest were under 20.

You are really lucky.
  • Metropole%s's Photo
    Pbob, an aquatrax doesn't have to have water, its more based on the unique trains. There is only one in the world, so we don't know what they are capable of yet. Doesn't look like a multilooper, too low to the ground and appears to have a launch rather than a lift. Ball coaster is impossible as previously stated.
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    Might be something similar to the Kanonen (sp?). But that's just a quick look at it.
  • JJ%s's Photo

You are really lucky.

Not really it was my summer and it was a weekday and the state was back at school :p
    So there weren't as many people there. Plus the staff were more efficient and generally nicer, much better than the 2 hours 30 mins had to wait for Kinda Ka :|.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading