General Chat / What are you doing after high school?

• chapelz%s's Photo
    I myself played it pretty safe and applied to:
    Georgia Tech
    Tulane University
    University of Houston
    University of Texas-Austin
    Texas A&M University

So far I have only received letters from Georgia Tech and UH both of which I got in.(Full-ride to UH-Honors) I will most likely go to UT though depending on if I get into the Architecture school which I most likely will. So where did everyone apply and where have you heard from so far?

Edited by chapelz, 30 January 2007 - 07:04 PM.

• MachChunk 3%s's Photo
    I think this topic should have been named: What are you doing after high scool, Class of '07? Then it would apply to everyone.

I for one enlisted in the Army. I'm getting an 11,000 dollar enlistement bonus for signing up to be a truck driver while I'm in. I'm also getting a 4,000 dollar bonus for learning to jump out of planes. Once I've been in for a few years I'll probably look at colleges then.
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    community college, woop woop.
  • Ride6%s's Photo

I think this topic should have been named: What are you doing after high scool, Class of '07? Then it would apply to everyone.
    I for one enlisted in the Army. I'm getting an 11,000 dollar enlistement bonus for signing up to be a truck driver while I'm in. I'm also getting a 4,000 dollar bonus for learning to jump out of planes. Once I've been in for a few years I'll probably look at colleges then.

Then may the Iraqies have pity on your soul.

As for me I've applied to:

University of Michigan
    Michigan State
    Michigan Tech
    Western Michigan
    Community College

I've been accepted at the latter 3, ignored by U of M, and gotten a few (non-exceptance) papaers from State.

Tech is willing to give me a $8,000 scholarship (2 grand per year) and I participated in a scholarship competition at Western Michigan this last weekend, if I'm lucky I'll have a full ride from it (16 will) but if not I've still got $3,000 off freshman year if I choose to go there.

Financially starting at Kalamazoo Community College is best but I really want to get out and force myself to socialize and stuff.

Ride6
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

community college, woop woop.

Jesus. Don't tell me you plan on living at home any longer than you have to.
  • geewhzz%s's Photo
    Not everyone's parents pay for their education.

Edited by geewhzz, 30 January 2007 - 08:17 PM.

• CoasterForce%s's Photo
    Yeah, I applied to Boston College and Georgetown University, both the undergraduate college, and got in. Definitely going to G-Town though...I was absolutely thrilled to be among the few to get in, and I can't wait to get out of f-ing massachusetts for a while. It's gonna be a good time.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    Getting out of Massachusetts is the best decision you can make for college. Congratulations. And you said you live on the North Shore right? Not sure why I feel like you did. At any rate, my condolences.

As for the parents thing...they should probably consider it. It's a wise investment. Also, with the kid gone, they can have loud sex more. Just tell them that and they'll spring for it.

Seriously though, don't underestimate how generous most colleges are with financial aid, especially on a need basis. I'm going to a $36,000 school for less than $10,000/year (mostly because a family with a single mother isn't going to be able to afford that price), with only a couple thousand in loans. Loans are a bitch, yes, but you can worry about those later. I'm a pretty cheap bastard, but if there's one thing that's worth spending money on, it's education.
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo

Jesus. Don't tell me you plan on living at home any longer than you have to.

well my home isn't all too bad.
    but i am moving out and getting an apartment with two other friends, so yeah. possibly three.
  • eman%s's Photo
    Applied to....
    Stanford (Early admission, already know I didnt get in)
    USC
    Cal
    UCLA
    UCSD
    CalPoly SLO
    SDSU

The only other one Ive heard from is SDSU where I got in, but I doubt Ill go there. (Though if I do go there Ill enjoy it for sure ;))
    Pending admissions decisions it looks like Ill be going to Cal, USC, or CalPoly. (All majoring in Arch) If I dont get accepted to any of those (Though I think I should get into at least 1 or 2 of the 3), Ill likely end up going to UCSD.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

Not everyone's parents pay for their education.

Are you fucking kidding me, dude?

Get over the pity party and take out some loans like the rest of us.
  • geewhzz%s's Photo
    You totally missed it.
  • MachChunk 3%s's Photo

Then may the Iraqis have pity on your soul.

Thanks.
  • CoasterForce%s's Photo

Congratulations. And you said you live on the North Shore right? Not sure why I feel like you did.

Actually I'm South Shore, between the cape and boston. but yeah, glad to see someone agrees...fuck massachusetts
  • Rohn Starr%s's Photo

A jumping trucker eh. Doesn't make any sense to me. Oh well, I wish you good luck in that, but chances are that you'll need a lot more since you're going Airborne. You'll most likely end up with the 82nd Airborne Corps out of Fort Bragg.

If you get the opportunity while in Basic Training (highly unlikely), AIT (Advanced Individual Training)(possibly), or Airborne school (unlikely), let us know how things are going. I don't expect to hear from you much based on what you say you're doing and the type of units you'd most likely end up with. But it's possible that you may get lucky and not end up in a combat unit like the 82nd.

Make sure that you sign up for the Montgomery GI Bill, you'll definitely want the extra funds available for school after you get out. If I remember correctly, there's also a savings plan of some sort available to you. Can't remember the details about that as it wasn't available while I was in the Army. You'll also want to keep track of any kinds of injuries you might incur while in the military. When you leave, complain about ANY little problem you've had while in the military. You might get a 'disabled' veteran status which will help you out in obtaining a job later. Good Luck!

To all the others, here's hoping you get accepted to at least your top three colleges. It will be tougher on you than it was on me back in the 70's & 80's.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

Actually I'm South Shore, between the cape and boston. but yeah, glad to see someone agrees...fuck massachusetts

Oh. Close enough. I'm from the South Coast (that bit between the Cape and Rhode Island), and I couldn't stand the overcrowding of soulless urban sprawl any longer. If I ever move back to Massachusetts full-time it'll be in the Berkshires.
  • Tyler%s's Photo
    i'm planning on getting food stamps. does that apply?
  • Drew%s's Photo
    I'll be going to Winona State University here in Minnesota...
    Yup.
  • Valp%s's Photo
    If anyone's interested in an excellent school, Vanderbilt gives GREAT financial aid despite the $47,000-per-year costs. It's probably too late for this year's seniors, but for juniors or younger, I encourage you look into it.

Edited by Valp, 04 February 2007 - 09:29 PM.

• Steve%s's Photo

Oh. Close enough. I'm from the South Coast (that bit between the Cape and Rhode Island), and I couldn't stand the overcrowding of soulless urban sprawl any longer. If I ever move back to Massachusetts full-time it'll be in the Berkshires.

Quincy pride. :]
    Where do you live, CoasterForce?

I actually might be going to Massasoit, then transfering. Because I actually AM leaving this godforsaken state in 2008 to live in Florida.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading