General Chat / .DLL error

• MightyMouse%s's Photo
    i get a .DLL error when i open virtually any document. OF course that isn't the exact error i get. its more along the lines of asdf9as4.DLL
    i can't open text documents or any thing relavant to that.

help would be appreciated
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    can you open some programs? I mean, not documents or files, I mean just the program
  • MightyMouse%s's Photo
    i can open AIM but ill get the error BUT AIM will still run.
    i can open internet explorer, itunes, wmp.

but programs like powertabs (guitar program) and txt docs just give me the error.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    well, exactly which .dll is damaged? I think it would help a lot if you posted the whole name. Or is it changing?
  • ekimmel%s's Photo
    Google the .DLL name and see what it is. Could be a virus or spyware.
  • ACEfanatic02%s's Photo
    Back up your data and do a system restore.

Sucks, but it's the only 100% reliable way to fix that.

-ACE
  • MightyMouse%s's Photo
    *This application has failed to start because MFC42.DLL was not found.

yo, my computer won't go through with the system restore but like ill click through all the stuff and when i get to the end part were i click next, itll look like im pressing it down but like nothing will happen

and googling it i get a bunch of bogus stuff or nothing at all
  • ACEfanatic02%s's Photo
    Okay...

If you have a backup disk or partition, try booting from there and seeing if you can restore the system.

Also try running chkdsk.exe from the command line, and de-frag your drive -- it's possible the .dll is on a bad section of your HD.

Alternatively, PM me with your e-mail address and I can send you the file. Just download and place under C:/WINDOWS/system32/

-ACE
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    Yeah, it's a microsoft system dll.
    You can just download it. But do a virus screening!
    Some shareware programs can also overwrite the file with a corrupt version.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    OMG MightyMouse. <3

So good to see you again. Actually I wish you'd never left because you were probably the fastest rising star in LL before you bailed.

Ride6

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading