Music Forum / Fallout Boy - Infinity on High

• Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    My personal opinion is that this album rocks. Just as good as, if not better than, From Under the Cork Tree. There's a nice mixture of musical styles, and the sound is definitely different, but it works, and it's wildly enjoyable to listen to.

A much better "sophomore album" (yes I know this isn't their second album overall, more like the fourth or something like that) than The Killers' or even Arcade Fire's upcoming album, relative to the first. So I'd say the "new style" is working. It's sort of rare when a band can take a different direction and still make it work.

For the record, I'm not snooty or anything when I judge albums... as long as I like it, that's the most important thing. And with Infinity on High, I really liked just about every track. :)

Thoughts?

EDIT: I thought of one possible complaint people might have, which is that the album may resemble Panic! at the Disco or Cobra Starship (does have those eclectic types of beats, mixing rock with electronica). This isn't a bad thing to me, but music is obviously subjective. ;)
  • artist%s's Photo

EDIT: I thought of one possible complaint people might have, which is that the album may resemble Panic! at the Disco or Cobra Starship

Ha! that is my complaint with the album, well the whole band, but im not too sure if i should say they sound like Panic! or Panic! sounds like them.

Either way they are way to "poppy" for me, i have never really liked them. Although their new single was alright (arms race) but some stupid video on you tube ruined the song for me. I downloaded infinity and i wasnt impressed at all.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    I like FOB, at least their music, but their singing is hard to understand for me. Not too sure why. Although I will check out Infinity On High once I get the chance.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    I heard that Arms Race song on the radio station the other day, it was fucking awful. Nothing that hasn't been done before.

OH BUT SYNTHESIZERS AND DRUM MACHINES ARE SO INNOVATIVE (or at least they were in the 80s).
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    I'd say CS or PatD sound like FOB, since FOB came first. :D
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    QOTSA, you're full of shit. The sign of a good song isn't whether it's been done before--Just how good it's done.

However, I too see the similarities between them and Panic!. Their singers sound exactly alike.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    That's some low standards. But then, that explains why you like OAR--they are damn good at making harmless, bland, inoffensive rock with just the slightest hint of white fratboy friendly reggae.

Edited by Jellybones, 16 February 2007 - 11:29 PM.

• Brent%s's Photo
    I too thought that Brendon from P!ATD sounded like Patrick from FOB when I first heard the demos back in early 2004, but overtime I've noticed that he sounds much different. It just takes time and a lot of listens to realize it.

I'm a fan of the new cd, didn't buy it though... but saw them with NFG the other week and they (FOB, in addition to NFG) put on a great set/show. Also saw them last week for the Carson Daly taping.

Anywho... the Cobra Reference... I really don't think CS and FOB are anything alike at all... I can see the CS/P!ATD one, but not FOB.

That's some low standards. But then, that explains why you like OAR--they are damn good at making harmless, bland, inoffensive rock with just the slightest hint of white fratboy friendly reggae.

Well, sir, I'm not quite as elitest with music as you are (unless we're talking Classical). I don't need every song I'm listening to to change my life, I just want to hear some music that doesn't suck.

And I still stick with my first point. Something doesn't have to be original to be good. Hell, I love covers--usually more than the original recording.
  • artist%s's Photo

Something doesn't have to be original to be good. Hell, I love covers--usually more than the original recording.

This I agree with, I love covers :]

Anyway Fall Out Boy suck, end of.
  • Stargazer%s's Photo
    OMG THEYR'RE TOO POPPY ARTIST. WHAT ARE WE MEANT T ODO?

What the fuck. So you'd prefer if Fall Out Boy didn't write hooks?
  • laz0rz%s's Photo

OMG THEYR'RE TOO POPPY ARTIST. WHAT ARE WE MEANT T ODO?

What the fuck. So you'd prefer if Fall Out Boy didn't write hooks?

If by 'hooks' you mean 'endless shitstreams of bland power chords and unintelligible lyrics', then yes, that'd be a great start, actually.
  • Gwazi%s's Photo
    I have a personal grudge against them cuz every song they have has gotten stuck in my head even though I don't like them.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    yeah, I finally got around to this and it's just as bad as all their other stuff
  • Stargazer%s's Photo

If by 'hooks' you mean 'endless shitstreams of bland power chords and unintelligible lyrics', then yes, that'd be a great start, actually.

Snob.

What's wrong with power chords? But yeah Fall Out Boy are shit but criticising a band for being too 'poppy' is invalid criticism.

Snob.

What's wrong with power chords?

Well, as a classical musician, plenty. It pisses me off that I spend hours in a practice room trying to reach perfection when bands can make millions playing mediocre songs with horrible voice leading and only a simple I - IV- V - I (A, D, E, A, if you want to hear it.) progression.

That being said, power chords were named that for a reason, and to not use them would be poor song writing. And to really, to criticize a band for using them is fucking pointless. Most of the shit out there is the same style, and even I can enjoy it.
  • laz0rz%s's Photo

Snob.

What's wrong with power chords? But yeah Fall Out Boy are shit but criticising a band for being too 'poppy' is invalid criticism.

Notice I said "endless shitstreams of bland power chords". Power chords are fine by themselves. But when it gets to just playing the same chord every eighth note and only changing to follow the progression and doing NOTHING ELSE, well, it gets a little ridiculous.

Notice I said "endless shitstreams of bland power chords". Power chords are fine by themselves. But when it gets to just playing the same chord every eighth note and only changing to follow the progression and doing NOTHING ELSE, well, it gets a little ridiculous.

That's pretty much every popular band, sir.
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    ergo popular music = shit.
  • Lloyd%s's Photo
    Ooo, i missed this debate :)

I'm with you on this one buddy, i'm not saying you should criticise a band for playing power chords over and over, but when there are so many more talented musicians out there, recording 'hooks' it starts to piss you off.

I mean, power chords are useful, practically every song in the world prolly uses them at one stage :p

But yeah, tracidEdge pretty much summed it up.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading