(Archive) Place-To-Release-Your-Parks Land / LL practice

• Ling%s's Photo
    I've been practicing a little bit with LL in the last few days... just wanted to know what you all think
    Here's an overview (this is really basic stuff, here)
    Posted Image
    and the download
    Click here
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    Never build on a flat land base... it's boring.
  • geewhzz%s's Photo
    Because we all know topography is never flat.
  • Carl%s's Photo
    It depends how small a sample of land you are looking at, and how "loose" your definition of "flat" is ;)
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    are we talking ohio flat or kansas flat?
  • posix%s's Photo
    never build on flat is the cheapest and most cliched advice i've ever heard, i think.
    such a trivial thing to begin with ...
    Well, geewhiz, there's a lot of real life topography that really isn't worth looking at.

Sorry, Phil? You know I hate flat ground. I'm not saying he should have a huge mountain, or have it weave in and out of ground, but some hills would be nice. It kind of ends up looking like the No Limits maps with random trees otherwise.
  • lucas92%s's Photo
    ^Man, he said that it was basic stuff, so don't be too picky on it...
  • Brent%s's Photo
    I love it when people say that crap about flat land...

Look at Disneyland, Cedar Point, Knott's, Michigan's Adventure, PKI, PKD, and just about every other major theme park and it's basically flat as **** all around.

And that's a pretty sweet layout... really, really cool stuff.

Edited by The Beta Factor, 14 February 2007 - 11:14 PM.

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    eh, PKI is only mildly flat.
    but point taken.
    Damn, guys. I'm not Hitler. I'm just saying flat land is boring.

And you know, Brent, it's pretty fucking expensive to manufacture landscaping. Fortunatly for us RCT players, landscaping is free. So I'd lean twards looking good rather than realistic.
  • posix%s's Photo
    obviously your idea of realistic style parkmaking is extremly poor.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    PKD has some mind changed in elevation if I remember right. But of course Cedar Point is flat, hell if people weren't controlling the erosion out there it might be halfway underwater by now.

Still I don't see "flat" as "realistic". I though my backyard was "flat" too until we had to level out an area for an above ground pool. As it turns out there's a 4 foot difference across about a 30 foot area (no the pool's not that big. So much for being flat...

Ride6
  • gir%s's Photo
    I agree with Ride6; I really can only think of a few places that are completely flat. As far as amusement parks, Six Flags Magic Mountain and Busch Gardens Williamsburg come to mind as places with a lot of land variation. At the very least, a place like Cedar Point is on an island, so even though it's flat, the landscape isn't dull. I know there are flat forests, and that may very well be where your ride is located. However, I suggest finding a better tree selection. For one, those tall pencil trees look out of place to me.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    the Aspen trees... I think it's mostly because they're more brightly colored than all the other foliage... good landscape discussion though :|

Edited by Ling, 15 February 2007 - 06:04 PM.

obviously your idea of realistic style parkmaking is extremly poor.

Phil, realism should never hurt the asthetical value of the park. We've turned this game into an artistic medium, so it should adress the visual aspect first and foremost. I don't care how realistic something is if it's not worth a second look.
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    midnight aurora your views towards this game are juvenile and immature if you think that the aesthetic value is of most importance.

hersheypark has some real nice elevation changes.
    How is it immature to think that a game that we spend hours on making it LOOK good, should look good? Hell, I'd argue that it's more immature to prove an (as of yet) unjustified point by using name calling.

Simply put, height variation is just as effective as the colour you make the track. Maybe you like limiting yourself to only certain colours (not including gimmicks), but personally, I like having as many tools as possible to work with. Realism just isn't a good reason for me to get rid of all hills and mountains.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    I'm sensing that Tracid was jerking your chain for a reaction, and he got one. :D

Oh and Hersheypark is the shit, I can't wait to get back out there.

Ride6
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    man i was hoping you'd get that, ma.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading