Music Forum / Instrument.

• Ride6%s's Photo
    Not sure how I feel about the digital modeling but it is, outside of that, a Champ, which is a great little tube amp. The FX are probably mostly bad with the exceptions of reverb and MAYBE delay or tremolo (vibro), voicing is mostly a matter of choosing a your favorite...

But for the money, that thing seems like a really good call, the reviews on it are excellent and underneath it is a tube amp. Those little glowy glass things tend to make for EXPENSIVE amplifiers...

Ride6
  • Marino%s's Photo
    I'm in love with my new peddies!

Posted Image

Next up.. I think I'm going for a Tama kit with some Sabian cymbals.. Or Zildjian..
  • In:Cities%s's Photo
    ^dont do it!

save up for some Meinl cymbals.
    trust me, those things are beastly!

nice pedals though.
    my old drummer used to have those actually lol.

you should look into Axis for any future pedals though.
    amazingly solid, and extremely extremely fluid
  • Marino%s's Photo
    Visited the Frankfurt Musikmesse last week on Wednesday, and tried out nearly all cymbals and pedals (I'm a freak, I know! :D ).

In my opinion there was only one eyecatcher, the Sabian (I think they were Max Stax..). I visited Meinl, Zildjan, Turkish etc. too, only some Zildjian cymbals came close to the sound I want..

About pedals.. The Pearl DemonDrive is a beast, but I felt more comfortable with the Iron Cobra.. My previous pedals were Axis AX-X2 pedals by the way :D And yeah, to be honest, I found them pretty annoying, but they saved the day.

Last but not least, tried some kits too.. Totally in love with a Pearl kit I played on, but the Tama Starclassic.. Oh wow, even better..

Guess I'll have to try more :p
  • twister12%s's Photo
    hey, im resurrecting this thread with some new pics. first my tama...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and now my new gretsch...

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    Posted Image

my baby =)
  • Dotrobot%s's Photo
    That's a real pretty picture.
  • Wicksteed%s's Photo
    I'd say its quite kitschy, honestly.
    twister: I want those cymbals and the gretsch :drool: .
    Its funny to see how your cymbals moved down, when you compare your first pics in this thread and these here.
  • twister12%s's Photo

twister: I want those cymbals and the gretsch :drool: .
    Its funny to see how your cymbals moved down, when you compare your first pics in this thread and these here.

haha, ya. i love looking at my setups progression through the years. basically, my setup, taste, and style have completely changed over the years. when i started playing, i always dreamt of getting a huge double bass setup, with as many cymbals i could think of. i tried playing really complicated fills and odd time signatures, being a huge fan of dream theater and porcupine tree. the kit had to be a tama, the cymbals zildjian, and evans drumheads. i could not imagine ever getting a crash bigger than 18".

but now, i am pretty much open to whatever sounds and feels good. my dream kit is now no bigger than a 5-piece with a smaller bass drum. i love being more simplistic with my setup, especially the 4-piece and 3-piece setup i pictured. if anything i would add a 16" floor tom. cymbal-wise, the bigger the better. :p i feel awkward using a crash that is smaller than 18" now (except for a 16" k thin crash at my old high school). now i listen to a lot of music, and while my favorite band is muse, i dont really aspire to play that kind of music (though i sure would not mind being dom for a day). im more into softer, jazzier music.
  • Splitvision%s's Photo
    Posted Image
    Posted Image

My new gear, got it about two weeks ago. A Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 and the Sanpera II foot controller. Upgraded from a Roland Minicube (3 watts) and a zoom g2.1u pedal (I know the sanpera pedal isn't exactly an effect pedal in the way that the zoom is but still) so a pretty neat step up in quality I think. I love messing around with various sounds so this rig is perfect for me, already found some real sweet cleans aswell as distorted sounds. It's also a really versatile, all-round amp which is good since I like to play a wide variety of genres. All in all I'm very pleased with it, although I don't know yet how it really performs when I crank up the volume. I play in my room which is quite small, so therefore I rarely go above 3-3,5 on the master volume. Tried 4-5, that'd be like the limit before the window shatters. It kinda bothers me since I feel like I somehow "choke" the performance of the amp. Sometimes I turn the master volume up almost all the way and then turn it way down with my foot pedal, gives a slight improvement in the sound but I dare not play like that since I might accidentally touch the pedal and turn the volume all the way up again. But for 1k$ it has to be one of the best and most versatile amps out there.
  • GigaG%s's Photo
    I play a piano. Thats it, really.
  • h3r3stheKrak3n.%s's Photo
    I play Bass! (E- only).
    I still have a Stagg from Ebay. It's actually one of the cheapest instruments you'll find. But I got help from my dad (professional musician) and we made it good enough to on stage with it. Unbelievable, but it really got worth 500€ from a 30€ ebay sale. :D

Still not havig my own amp, but doesn't matter, got one from my father for home.

I'm getting a new bass soon, it'll be a Peavey. Posted Image

Really awesome one, tested it at the famous Thomann store!
    Check it out if you have the chance.

I'm playing at my schools Big-Band since this year. And I'm trying to found a new Hardcore-Band here, which is pretty hard, as there aren't many good musicians over here.
  • ACEfanatic02%s's Photo
    I bought this yesterday:
    Posted Image

So amazing. Pickups never get muddy at all. (They're also bright as fuck.) And it cost about the same as a Squier CV.

Only problem is the volume pot doesn't work. Going in to have it replaced on Monday.

-ACE
  • That Guy%s's Photo
    Beautiful.
  • Steve%s's Photo
    yes, a telecaster (well, mostly)! finish is great on that, ACE. and your picks match, ahah.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    G&Ls are so sweet... I've long thought of getting one of their cheaper tele-style models like that one, but I really have plenty of "good value guitars, with upgrades parts" already, so it's difficult to stomach spending any money... Oh, did you ever upgrade your amp ACE?

hey Twister! Is there a particular kit you'd recommend in the sub $1000 range? I (my band) is probably in the market to toss our current Pearl Forum since it sounds "meh" at best, even after a lot of processing... Though we're also in the market to pickup a good drummer as expanding to a four piece would free us up a lot more and having a solid beat would really help solidify everything...

Interesting group of metalheads we have here too with their Peaveys. ;)

Ride6
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    Posted Image
    waitwut?
  • ACEfanatic02%s's Photo

G&Ls are so sweet... I've long thought of getting one of their cheaper tele-style models like that one, but I really have plenty of "good value guitars, with upgrades parts" already, so it's difficult to stomach spending any money... Oh, did you ever upgrade your amp ACE?

Nah, my "amp" upgrade is the POD HD I just bought. Next step is probably buying some powered monitors for it, 'cause it doesn't play nice with the Champ XD. Short of stumbling on a stupid great deal for a JCM or something, that's probably the setup I'll stick with for a while.

The ASAT is pretty damn awesome, but on the whole I find I prefer my Strat for most things. Neck's only slightly thicker than an Ibanez and the pickups aren't that great for smooth sounds. I suspect I just need to get used to having to use the tone control; without it, the bridge gets waaaaay too bright for any distortion. (Unless you're playing really twangy country.) Toyed with the idea of putting P90s in it, but it'd probably be easier to get a LP Special for that.

Anyway, if you *like* G&Ls, there's not much to upgrade in the Tributes; they've got the American pickups already, and a pot is a pot.

-ACE
  • twister12%s's Photo
    to ride6, what kinda music do you guys play? and also do you need cymbals, or just the shells? and also, i just picked up this baby. SO SMOOTH!!!

http://cdn.mos.music...side-530-85.jpg
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    Rock mostly, ranging from softer stuff (Radiohead balled-ish maybe?) to some hard riff rock (think prime era popular Smashing Pumpkins). I like jazz-tinged kit sounds, but nothing too far out of the pop/rock realm. We have some ok Meinl (MCS - Crash and Ride) and Sabian (B8 pro hi hats) cymbals. They're a little bright, and a little harsh, but they do the job alright and get along with our current overheads. We'd be after shells (mostly), and maybe some hardware (the kick pedal is trash, everything else is middling at best). I don't know that we're actually going to upgrade though... a big part of the problem the only available practice/recording space has sketch acoustics, and ultimately finding a unique sound, rather than a good one, for the debut EP might be the best call.

Still if there's a sick kit out there for $800 I might have to pick one up. ^_^

Ride6

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading