Theme Park Discussion / Job In Roller Coaster Designing

• Phatage%s's Photo
    everybody here is missing the point... coasters in 20 years are not going to be like they are today, hopefully they will transcend the neutered b&m designs and delve into something more clever. the key is to have a background in engin but you need something else, maybe psych or something, hey that sounds like what i'm doing... how bout a major in engin with a possible minor in psych and having taken french in high school trying to study abroad near monthey in three semesters and getting an internship with you know who or something like that, and oh yeah start using nl using formulas and stuff to build up a fantasy resume and oh yeah RIDE COASTERS IN REAL LIFE AND LEARN NOW THAT THE RIDE IS MORE THAN JUST THE SUM OF THE DESIGN PLANS, ponder over that one for a lil
  • Gwazi%s's Photo

getting an internship with you know who

Who, Voldemort?
  • zodiac%s's Photo
    Ugh, wrong topic, Gwazi. No mention of Voldemort in this topic. Take it to the shitpile.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE HAHA FUCKERS
  • Ling%s's Photo
    ^Welcome to one year ago

I suppose psychology (?) could partially be key, but the math, physics, and creativity part has got to be the biggest bit.
  • Levis%s's Photo
    well I know the study I'm going to do enables me to work for a coaster compagny or amusement park :) (don't know how the study is called in english :( (ty? do you know what "werktuigbouwkunde" is in english? )).
  • JJ%s's Photo
    werktuigbouwkunde = mechanical engineering
  • FullMetal%s's Photo
    Yeah, I'd think that physics would be a really big factor in determining whether or not you could be a coaster designer. That, and architecture or engineering, or something. But psychology? WTF? I can understand where that's going, in a sense, but coasters are designed to make people scream, and you don't need a major to do that. Free-falling will make people scream, going 70 mph downhill will make people scream, going upside-down will make people scream, it's not that hard!

And although the initial investment is a bit challenging, actually starting your own theme park/amusement park would be much more enjoyable (and profitable in the long run), IMO.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    I once thought I wanted a career in the amusement park or rides industry. I realized something: it's exclusive.

While I'm all for doing something that you love I'm also interested in getting a job after spending 4-5 years of my life paying an institution huge sums of money.

Luckily for me I got distracted by another hobby: music. Actually I started getting into music because of rct. When I stopped building scenarios and started building parks for the community I stopped opening them (for most if not all of the build time, and sometimes the release). As a result my rides were closed; the parks were silent. Thus I started listening to the radio, then started buying cds like a mad man; soon I branched out into new bands that I discovered via the internet and picked up guitar.

Now as a result of my high math skills (I've taken Calc 1 & 2 already, though I'm retaking them to be absolutely sure that I'm grasping the basics) and recent experience dealing with electronics and music gear; the route seems obvious. Audio Engineering is my biggest interest as it's a hybrid of electronics, fluid physics, material sciences and acoustics. Electrical engineering almost seems like a given since it's a wider field (more jobs = GOOD) and I'm going to only be a few classes away anywho.

Basically all of us here probably had that dream of designing rides, or owning/operating an amusement park. But unless you're thinking on the scale of a put-put golf course with an arcade and a go-kart track; you're probably dreaming. The exception would be if you're willing to dedicate your life to getting to a position where you either built up a park/ride company from scratch or work your way up the ladder in the industry. That problem with both: they require that you work your ass off for years before you really get anywhere. Most people just aren't willing to do that; I know I could be if I didn't have hobby ADD; every 5 years I've shifted gears on that. BIG TIME. I'm hoping that music is the "big one" and that amusement parks will remain a seasonal (or non?) pleasure where ever I end up.

Ride6
  • postit%s's Photo

I would to suggest focusing on one element of coaster building. Sure a coaster starts with one man's vision, but it takes many people to execute the long process of design. Probably physics and engineering are the easiest way to get in. This way you know how to make a coaster work. The arcitecture in coasters are always kept simple and would be a lot easier to pick up on while"on the job".

Also like has been said, you need connection!!!! That is the biggest key. Think about how many different coaster makers there are, not many. It may be easier to become a proffesional sports player. But that doesn't mean it's impossible. I would suggest that you somehow get a job in the field, however low it may be. When I was 17 I got a job at my local theme park as a lowly ride operator. Within a few summers I gained ome seniority and then in my last year I was picked to manage the parks yet to be built B&M. I got to meet Walter Mabillard and talk with him a little about coasters. He is a real down to earth guy. It was a great experiance to see him get all gitty when "his baby" ran for the first time. If I'm not mistaken I think he said he is more of the engeneer while Claude Bolliger is more into the actual design and concept. But anyway, a time like that would be a good opportunity. If I were to give him some kind of resume I'm sure he'd give it a glance. Maybe the coaster genius would laugh at it, but if it was good enough you never know what could happen till you try.

Where do you work?

Ahh, yes. Everyone's dream here. I'll echo everyone else when I say that you are most likely not going to be a coaster designer, but it is not impossible. It requires connections and experience more than anything. Sure, a degree helps, but it is really not what it comes down to, in my opinion and with my experiences.

The connection part: yes, it would have helped to be in the Eisner family, for example, but that's not the only way to make connections. I really don't want to get to into this here, because I don't want to expose exactly what I do, but it is possible to forge connections. That's right.

Initiative, interest, and dedication will genuinely catch someone's attention. I'm saying that if you want to go become an engineer for the Six Flags down the road, there is a way to get your foot in the door. You call up Six Flags, schmooze, and organize a meeting with one of the engineers/design people/whatever. Then you talk to them, and with a little luck, they will be impressed with your knowledge and passion.

This is a way to become bedfellows with a department. THey may offer you a job. Take it. THen work there and impress them, and if you go to college, return for summers.

This kind of experience is key, and the contacts you make are also important. It is then your choice whether to stay with your local company and try to work on up or move on to a different company for a higher position.

My boss got to where he is from experience not even in the industry. What it comes down to with these engineering positions (where you don't actually crunch numbers but rather do project management and have some input when you meet with ride manufacturers, for example) is experience and connection.

I know someone with an electrical engineering degree who is a financial broker on wall street. I also know a civil engineer who ended up in construction. In my opinion, the degree doesn't matter so much. It's rather your connections and work experience.

Of course there are other routes. You could do architecture. Just make sure you go work for a firm that has a long history with projects for major theme park companies and you're set. You could end up designing "theming" for the newest ride at Universal. If you ask me, that's pretty damn exciting. The important thing here is to first of all, be good at what you do. I can't be an architect, though it runs in the family, because I am terrible at that kind of art. (all art actually) An example of such an architectural company would be PGAV I believe. They do pretty much all of the major Busch Entertainment rides because V of PGAV knew August Busch growing up...that goes back to the connection thing...

You could also work for an engineering firm. Same deal. Just work for one that you know does a great deal of work for certain parks. From what I've noticed, parks go back to the same companies if all goes well, because they know they can rely on them. This type of engineering is usually varied. Civil, electrical, etc are all needed for a project.

Better yet, work construction. It's the quickest way to $20 an hour and with the smallest amount of academic rigor. Construction can be a fragile job, though, based on weather and awful (in my opinion) hours. Find what's best for your personality, but if you have a passion for the industry, then go for it!

Let me just end by explaining that the engineering positions I was describing working at a park were described well by Tyandor. Everything is contracted out and most engineers simply oversee projects to make sure they are going well and represent the parent company. THere are a lot of different places you could be on this cog wheel of the theme park industry. Find what suits you best. Remember, that wealth does not equate to happiness. As Confucious said, "If you find a job you love, you'll never work a day in your life."

Ride6, I'd be interested in talking to you about Audio engineering. :) I'm going to take a music recording class this year in school. There are jobs for that, what with all the video games and media we have these days.
  • WallyWorld%s's Photo

Where do you work?

I run a small buisness now, but I used to work at SFGAdv years ago. I never had any intentions of trying to make a career out of it, but there were oppertunities to branch off into other fields. The mechanics are always actively recruiting the ride ops to join thier union. When new construction happens, the park needs employee's to act a liasons(go-fors) to the company installing whatever. And if you work your way up the ranks to the top, Six Flags is well respected in the hospitality industry. One of my supervisors went on to manager a whole island at IOA when it opened, another went on to manage the Philadelphia zoo I think, and one guy who worked for grounds(park cleaning) got offered a job to be the head person at cleaning a major league baseball stadium.

So for anyone that wanted to get into the amusement field, a job at a local theme park is a good idea. I would recommend that while you are going to school for your specific field, work the summers at a park. A lot of places, I know Dorney and GAdv, offer housing to people who live far enough away. Then just like any other job, work hard and before you know it, you'll end up in a position to talk with the higher ups at the park that most people never see and people from other companies that do work for the park.
  • FullMetal%s's Photo

Remember, that wealth does not equate to happiness.

But it does equate to a wave runner. Try to frown on a wave runner.
  • disneylhand%s's Photo
    ^Xin, how old are you? I'm just wondering.

-disneylhand
  • FullMetal%s's Photo
    ^16, but yes, most of the time I act like an immature idiot.
  • disneylhand%s's Photo
    Xin, I did not imply in any way whatsoever that you were 'an immature idiot'. I truly was "just wondering". I do not lie.

-disneylhand
  • Video_Kid%s's Photo
    ^lie

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading