Music Forum / Harley Benton Hbd120cebk

• Fr3ak%s's Photo
    I'm playing with the idea to buy it and take guitar lessons, but I really don't know, whether this guitar is good or not.
    So, I need your help.
    I think it's very very cheap and the description says, that it's not perfect, but had a very good sound for this price.

http://www.thomann.d...terngitarre.htm

Someone here know about this guitar and knows, whether it sounds good oder is total rubbish?

Thanks for responses, guys and girls :mantis:

Edited by Fr3ak, 25 July 2007 - 03:58 PM.

• Lloyd%s's Photo
    Well, it's not a 'good' guitar, but you don't want to be spending alot of money if it's your first.

Just get that, it looks nice and i'm sure it's playable.

You can always upgrade to a better guitar later on, but don't bother spending alot on your first one, because it might sit in your closet and you'll never play it.
  • Magnus%s's Photo
    It is the person playing the guitar who is making the music, not the guitar itself.
  • Wicksteed%s's Photo
    http://www.musiker-board.de/vb/
  • catachresistant%s's Photo

It is the person playing the guitar who is making the music, not the guitar itself.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
  • Ride6%s's Photo

True but not true. If you're gear is bad you're still going to sound bad. Even exceptional players like Eric Johnson would sound bad through a squire strat pack. Sure 50% of the tone is in the fingers, but the other 50% is in the rig. You've got to make the rig work for you.

But if you're not sure if you're going to stick with guitar, and honestly 95% of the people who pick it up give up on it early on or never really work to progress to the "next level"; then you need to make sure your losses won't be huge either.

It's a fine guitar as far as I can tell. Spruce tops (probably a laminated one though :() generate good tone, the other woods are cheap or lower grade (Rosewood can be amazing, but I'm sure this isn't high-grade stuff either). But it'll sound fine to figure out what you're doing for a year or two. Then you can spend bigger money to get something to match your abilities.

However, if you're 110% sure that you're going to stick with this then you might as well buy something nicer to begin with like this.

Ride6
  • Fr3ak%s's Photo
    Ok, thank you all so far :)

Ride6, I need a guitar to learn how to play. Then I will see, whether I'm going on, or not .. so I don't wanna spend much money for my first one.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    ^I completely understand. Even though now three years in I can't imagine my life without playing guitar, and I have enough money and energy tied up in it to make my head spin.

But I started out with a trash-worthy $15 used Harmony guitar with a twisted neck that was 20 years old and bottom of the line then... I ran that into a Crate XT15R, which I still have, what a piece of shit amp that is.

Now I'm running a roughly $2000 rig between the guitar, amp and petal rig (not to mention things like cables and power supplies). Really the first six months are the hardest, after that if you can stick to it you'll love it.

Ride6
  • Fr3ak%s's Photo
    Thanks for the motivation :)

And nice to hear how you started playing ^^

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading