News / Happy New Year! Its Rant Time!

• Fatha'%s's Photo
    Happy New Year to all at New Element, and its been a great one. Closing off the old year, and starting of the new, New Element proudly presents the new and improved Fatha's Rant. Click the link on the nav bar to check out whats new, including a new TR, 2 new sections, and 3 new theming guides!

Again, Its been a great year, and.....

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
  • x-sector%s's Photo
    Great New Update. I haven't read everything yet. I checked everything out and It looks great. The new trip report is good. The theming guides look great but I haven't read them. I like the album reviews I was thinking about getting all those albums except 8 mile as I have already got it and your review helped me make my decision If I wanna by them :).
  • Fatha'%s's Photo
    Wht thank you X for spending time to look at it.
  • Roberto Roboparks%s's Photo
    Interesting update. The trip reports were fun, as usual. I was a little dissapointed over the theming, I had expected more from them. I found that I probably could think of most of the stuff my myself after looking at TH and TC for about 5-10 mins. They didn't reveal anything new.

Good job though! :)
  • cg?%s's Photo
    I was dissapointed as well. The theming guides were nothing special, really, and the album reviews, were, um, decent.

But they could never be great. For someone who knows a "good clip about hip-hop and rap", you've decided to review some of the albums responsable for the sheer state of sh*t presently existing in the hip-hop community.

That certainly doesn't make for entertaining reveiws.
  • Fatha'%s's Photo
    If it makes you any happier chauncey, then, im reviewing the Eminem Show soon.

BTW Chauncey, since you seem to know a lot about hip hop, tell some albums to review that aren't "shit." And don't tell me Jurassic 5, they can kiss my ass.
  • cg?%s's Photo
    Hmm, well the problem is that Jurassic 5 is one of the greatest rap groups presently in existence. If you can't appreciate them, you certainly won't be able to appreciate anyone else worth appreciating.

Well, there is one thing you might like, and that's Public Enemy's Revolverlution.

It's hard-hitting, hard-core, and through and through genius. Besides, the leftist, afro-centric lyrics are more intelligent, brutal and wonderful than anything Eminem's ever even dare come up with.

But then again, with no bitch, hoe, bling-bling, twenty-inch rims and other stupidities, it might be too intelligent and wonderful for you.

Edited by Chauncey Gardner, 01 January 2003 - 01:53 PM.

• Fatha'%s's Photo

But then again, with no bitch, ho, bling-blind, twenty-inch rims, and other stupidities, it might be too intelligent and wonderful for you.

I want to ask you a question Chauncey. How do you know the only words in rap songs that I understand are those you mentioned?
    Can you read minds?
  • cg?%s's Photo

How do you know the only words in rap songs that I understand are those you mentioned?

Sorry, I left out fuck, ass, shit, damn, faggot, good person and of course, cracker.

How silly of me.
  • Butterfinger%s's Photo

Great New Update. I haven't read everything yet. I checked everything out and It looks great. The new trip report is good. The theming guides look great but I haven't read them. I like the album reviews I was thinking about getting all those albums except 8 mile as I have already got it and your review helped me make my decision If I wanna by them :).

Same here. Havent read it all yet (takes a while to load) but they look good.

Give him some credit for taking the time to do this.
  • Fatha'%s's Photo
    Chauncey, your intelligence amazes me. Can you show me more words? :lol:
  • cg?%s's Photo

Can you show me more words?

No. I'll leave that up to a professional, Mr. Kool Keith Thompson, aka: Dr. Octagon/ Dr. Dooom. Listen to some real hip-hop for a change, come on, it will be fun!
  • Fatha'%s's Photo

Listen to some real hip-hop for a change, come on, it will be fun!

Do you know for a fact that you are listening to real hip hop?
  • iris%s's Photo
    Hmmmmm

I, like Fatha', are not a fan of Jurassic 5, but I do appreciate Chauncey's taste in hip hop.
    You seem like the kind of person that likes...
    Mos Def
    Talib Kweli
    Common
    Q-Tip

The lyricist, non-gangster sort of rap. And I'm a big fan too. The "Black on Both Sides" album will be the next one I review (after D12's Devil's Night). So, if I'm right and you do enjoy who I think you do, I think you'll be satisfied.
  • Fatha'%s's Photo
    I actually like all of the 4 you mentioned.
  • cg?%s's Photo

Do you know for a fact that you are listening to real hip hop?

Yes, in fact, I do.

I, like Fatha', are not a fan of Jurassic 5, but I do appreciate Chauncey's taste in hip hop.
    You seem like the kind of person that likes...

Mos Def
    Talib Kweli
    Common
    Q-Tip

The lyricist, non-gangster sort of rap. And I'm a big fan too.

Yes, all of those are genius rappers, however I tend to lean more towards turntablism myself. I feel that DJ based hip-hop is the best, as it isn't held back by the rapping.

In order for a rapper to rap, the beat has to be steady, constant, and follow the flow of the MC's ryhmes. This limits the song-structure heavily. DJ's like Shadow, Spooky and Kid Koala, can do what ever they want with their beats.

It can go anywhere, do anything, and be immensley rich, complex, abstract and expirimental. All of which I love in music, regardless of genre.

More importantly, it has to do all these things, or you'll wind up snoring.
  • RRP%s's Photo
    good reviews fatha but i wont read the music ones cos im not interested....one thing the Trip report suddenly stopped, on purpose? or have u deleted some thing by accident?
  • Fatha'%s's Photo
    Ahh shit.
    Ill fix it later, my bad RRP.
  • iris%s's Photo
    Alright, at least I know where Chauncey is coming from now. Still though, it's rather hard to review a mixtape. I mean, the CD's DJ's put out are just the rappers that you said you didn't like. DJ Skribble, Kay Slay, DJ Clue.
    Now these people aren't the traditional turn-table style DJ's like Jam Master Jay (rip), but it's most of what I have to work with. If you'd like to review a mixtape for us, go right ahead.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna start writing up my Mos Def review.
  • Fatha'%s's Photo
    Chauncey, you dont know it is a fact.
    Its your opinion, which is not fact.

And turntabilism is good music, and I agree with everything you said, however just because I review an album that has lots of curse words doesn't mean my vocabulary doesn't extent beyong "fuck." In fact, Public Enemy even said "good person" in their raps, but does it make them idiots? No.

Ohh and Chauncey, if you review a mixtape, can u find the album art?

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading