Music Forum / Post Your 'Top 25 Most Played'

• Dr_Dude%s's Photo
    It's all subjective. They aren't doing anything a hundred crescendo-core bands haven't done first. They're great composers but their melodys are so boring.
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    Well not that anyones heard of most of these :)

Posted Image

And yes one of those is spelt wrong it would seem
  • misolbaid%s's Photo

I dunno, Lykke Li and Sigur Ros are kind of lame. Props for Modeselektor, and Arcade Fire's great. I don't really care about anything else on there, except that the dude from the Album Leaf was somehow involved with Swing Kids so I should probably check him out.

I check Pitchfork's newsfeed every now and then, when I want to know what's up with the cool hip music I listen to sometimes. Other than that, the only thing they're good for is giving good albums they don't understand low scores and that article David Cross did.

So you don't like my music- doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Pitchfork. They've reviews thousands of bands and I've only listed about 10-15 here, not found on pitchfork in the first place. Does that mean I only listen exclusively to Pitchfork? Connect the dots here.

Sigur Ros is NOT lame. Their melodies are boring to you maybe, but I find them beautiful. Name some crescendo-core bands, since I'm really interested in Sigur Ros (obviously) and I don't know many others that pull off a crescendo as well as they do ;P

And thumbs down to you for dismissing Bjork. Sorry, but you just ignored the Queen.
  • Nokia%s's Photo
    how can you listen to onerepublic that many times roomie!?!
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

So you don't like my music- doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Pitchfork. They've reviews thousands of bands and I've only listed about 10-15 here, not found on pitchfork in the first place. Does that mean I only listen exclusively to Pitchfork? Connect the dots here.

Sigur Ros is NOT lame. Their melodies are boring to you maybe, but I find them beautiful. Name some crescendo-core bands, since I'm really interested in Sigur Ros (obviously) and I don't know many others that pull off a crescendo as well as they do ;P

You could connect the dots too. My point was rock music and RCT have no correlation, except that some people who play it listen to rock music. You know who else listens to rock music? Everyone.

As far as post-rock goes I only listen to a few bands, becuase it's all so derivative, SR included. Basically Mogwai, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, and the three million bands GY!BE broke off into. Do Make Say Think is also pretty great. And then there are metal bands like Isis and Neurosis.
  • misolbaid%s's Photo
    My point was that there could be some correlation between metal/rock music and RCT- as I pointed out, most of the people who posted in this top 25 played list had METAL/ROCK music and very little other types (electronic, pop, classical, R&B, Hip hop, etc).

Look at the evidence.

I just want to point out that it is extremely pretentious of you to dismiss bands because they stem from a common inspiration. Derivative? Doesn't matter if the music is beautifully composed, written, played, and presented. They may come from the same background, but each band presents the ideas in a new original way.

About the bands you mentioned: Mogwai is good, Do Make Say Think is okay (not my favorite), and Sigur Ros came out about the SAME TIME as Mogwai, GY!BE and Do Make Say Think. So you are claiming ALL post rock bands are derivatives of older influences and thus should be ignored, then YOU sir, are the pretentious one here.
  • zodiac%s's Photo
    there are soooo many good post-rock bands that don't fall into the usual category: Toe, Mouse on the Keys, The American Dollar, Polar Bear, and sgt. are a few that are way different, and a lot better at times.
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    post rock is boring, yall
  • Timothy Cross%s's Photo
    DRONE.

The future.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

I just want to point out that it is extremely pretentious of you to dismiss bands because they stem from a common inspiration. Derivative? Doesn't matter if the music is beautifully composed, written, played, and presented. They may come from the same background, but each band presents the ideas in a new original way.

About the bands you mentioned: Mogwai is good, Do Make Say Think is okay (not my favorite), and Sigur Ros came out about the SAME TIME as Mogwai, GY!BE and Do Make Say Think. So you are claiming ALL post rock bands are derivatives of older influences and thus should be ignored, then YOU sir, are the pretentious one here.

You're looking for an argument here. I never said Sigur Ros were objectively bad, I said I thought they were lame. I never said they were derivative ( oh hey wait I did) and if they were (they are) it wouldn't lessen my opinion of them (I listen to punk music damnit), I just don't listen to very much post-rock becuase bands like Mono etc sound just like Mogwai. I usually type my opinions as facts but I do not hold them as gospel.

Edited by Dr_Dude, 10 October 2009 - 11:17 AM.

• misolbaid%s's Photo

You're looking for an argument here. I never said Sigur Ros were objectively bad, I said I thought they were lame. I never said they were derivative ( oh hey wait I did) and if they were (they are) it wouldn't lessen my opinion of them (I listen to punk music damnit), I just don't listen to very much post-rock becuase bands like Mono etc sound just like Mogwai. I usually type my opinions as facts but I do not hold them as gospel.

It's one thing to have an opinion, and I can respect that you don't like post-rock, just like how I don't like metal. But it's another to condemn a good band by calling them derivative (which they are NOT). You could say "all the pop acts sound the same" or "all the classic rock acts sound like __________ so i don't listen to classic rock" and etc. It doesn't matter either way.

What makes it worse is that Sigur Ros' first album came out in 1997- the same year Mogwai's first album came out. And imo, they sound NOTHING alike; they each have their own sound and style. It's not like Mogwai preceeded Sigur Ros by a long time.

So whatever, you like your music and I like mine. Just don't attack my choice of music and call them lame; or insinuating that I am pretentious because a lot of my music just HAPPENS to be on some silly website that I don't even like.

Anyway, back to the point: Apparently RCTers like metalrock. Dunno how this escalated to be such a huge problem zzzz.
  • warauneko%s's Photo
    Well, here's my own:

1. Guilty Pleasure - Cobra Starship
    2. Snakes on a Plane (Bring It) - Cobra Starship
    3. The City is at War - Cobra Starship
    4. Guilty Pleasure (Video) - Cobra Starship
    5. Don't Trust Me - 3OH!3
    6. The Church of Hot Addiction - Cobra Starship
    7. Send My Love to the Dance Floor - Cobra Starship)
    8. Colorado Sunrise - 3OH!3
    9. I Don't Care - Fall Out Boy
    10. Still Around - 3OH!3
    11. I Write Sins Not Tragedies - Panic at the Disco
    12. Our Time Now - Plain White T's
    13. Lying is the Most Fun a Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off - Panic at the Disco
    14. But It's Better If You Do - Panic at the Disco
    15. Viva la Vida - Coldplay
    16. I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas
    17. Life in Technicolor II - Coldplay
    18. When You Were Young - The Killers
    19. Human - The Killers
    20. Gives You Hell - All American Rejects
    21. Where is the Love? - Black Eyed Peas
    22. Amazing - Kanye West
    23. Paper Planes - M.I.A.
    24. The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide is Press Coverage - Panic at the Disco
    25. Dat New New (VIKING Remix) - Kid Cudi

So...yeah. My taste is more diverse than what this would represent. I've been listening to other things lately.
    And my brother listens exclusively to metal/rock. As does my dad. My tastes are about the opposite.
  • zodiac%s's Photo
    they're actually very similar. see if you can figure out how.
  • Marino%s's Photo
    Posted Image

Arctic Monkeys.. Probably because I went to an Arctic Monkeys concert recently..

Dave Matthews Band.. Probably because I am going to a Dave Matthews Band concert next year..

Dream Theater.. It rocks!

I actually listen more Dream Theater, but it seems I accidentily pressed a reset button somewhere, sometime.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

Dave Matthews Band.. Probably because I am going to a Dave Matthews Band concert next year..

What the hell? How do you know that? Is this how shows work outside of Cleveland?
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    typically bands who don't play in basements get their shit together a couple of months before they go on tour.
  • Marino%s's Photo
    Yeah, guess so. Got my ticket already.. Like a month ago.

But still.. Cleveland rocks!
  • RRP%s's Photo
    1. Listening Tree - Tim Exile
    2. Cut Dick - Mr Oizo
    3. Tales from the pigs - Teenage Bad Girl
    4. The Wedding Toccata Theme - Modeselektor
    5. Good Times - The Stone Roses
    6. Summerparty - Breakbot
    7. Alone Again Or - Love
    8. Five Years - David Bowie
    9. Dusted - Leftfield
    10. Talk Like That - The Presets
    11. Unfinished Monkey Business - Ian Brown
    12. The Boy In The Picture - The Sea Horses
    13. D1 - Soundhack
    14. I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris - Morrissey
    15. Victoria - The Kinks
    16. Nice dream - Radiohead
    17. Z (Principles of Geometry Remix) - Mr Oizo
    18. Mein neues Fahrrad (Boys Noize Edit) - Siriusmo
    19. No Lucifer - British Sea Power
    20. They Live! - Evil Nine
    21. Weiss Gaz - Das Glow
    22. Veridis quo - Daft Punk
    23. Do You Remember - The Horrors
    24. Dig Your Own Grave - The Chemical Brothers
    25. Colours Don't Leak - Kelpe
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

typically bands who don't play in basements get their shit together a couple of months before they go on tour.

Yeah, but a whole year? If I felt like it I probably could have gotten Bruce Springsteen tickets a few days he played, and I got my FotC tickets the night before. We're more or less the bottom of the music chain. Even our own bands don't play here much.
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    actually in some other thread dude said he was going in march, using next year in the literal term. but i get yr point.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading