Music Forum / Graduation

• chapelz%s's Photo
    Fucking beautiful is all I have to say. Wonderful album with surprise appearances of Daft Punk and Chris Martin.
  • spiderman%s's Photo
    I like Stronger.

Only heard that other single beside that, didn't like it...
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    I'm actually sortof mixed on this album. On the one hand, Kanye still has a great ear for music which is what makes his production so good. The unfortunate aspect of that though is that his ear for music generally manifests itself in an over-reliance on samples. It's at the point now, album 3, that you can detect the formula and predict what's going to happen next. Kanye finds a sample, works it into a beat, writes a chorus, and then picks the ones he likes and adds verses. It's all getting a little formulaic. There's nothing on this album that's just instantly magical like his first two albums were in parts. It's all catchy of course, but you can see the man behind the curtain now and that takes something out of it.

I said I was mixed though, not that I was disappointed. For the most part, I think his verses are stronger on this album than in the past. I'm glad the skits are gone, they just got in the way of the songs anyway. And while I don't think the best songs on this album compare to the best songs on Late Registration or The College Dropout, the album is more consistently good overall. I can listen to it all the way through without wanting to skip around. Ultimately though, I don't think the replay value will be as good for me. I give him all the credit in the world for his production, the guy could write a hit song in his sleep, but he's mining the same themes he's already mined twice before, and it sounds increasingly less compelling with each go around.
  • FullMetal%s's Photo
    "Can you help me mama? I got the weed!"
  • Marshy%s's Photo
    listened to the album a couple of times and Stronger and Flashing Lights are my faves. But for some reason i'm listening to Kano's album much more.
  • JKay%s's Photo
    Kanye's best album in my opinion---most of his productions are unmatched
  • FullMetal%s's Photo
    Saw the commercial for it. The teddy bear is really weird.
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    Not in the same ballpark as college dropout which was really good. btw which track is Daft Punk on? Never heard them before and I am curious to thx to Mantis and WOMB
  • trav%s's Photo

Not in the same ballpark as college dropout which was really good. btw which track is Daft Punk on? Never heard them before and I am curious to thx to Mantis and WOMB

It's on stronger. The "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" part is from a Daft Punk song named Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading