Theme Park Discussion / Model Roller Coaster

• FullMetal%s's Photo
    A friend of mine (non NE member) and I, inspired by the content on NE and by roller coasters in real life, have decided to attempt to make a model. This, like many of the things we've attempted, will probably fail miserably. (Our first math project in Algebra 2 was to build a parabola that would heat a cup of water at the focus. Let's just say it didn't even look like a parabola.) But it's worth a try right?

I told him we wouldn't start till after I finish PT3, so were just starting to do preliminary sketches and stuff.

We're having trouble with the theme though. We know we're going to make a wooden coaster, and we know it will be themed in such a way that it will look like some of the quality stuff at NE, and we also know we would like to include a flat ride, and a water ride (log flume or rapids, probably). The coaster itself will be a general out and back that looks something an 'L', with the short end of the 'L' interacting with the flat ride and water ride. We've narrowed it down to 3 themes:

-Western (classic woody)
    -Natural (simple with plenty of flowers and trees)
    -Ye Olde Europe (13 century-ish)

Which one sounds best?

Any advice that anyone can contribute would be greatly appreciated.
  • Rhynos%s's Photo
    I'd say start simple and go from there. So, classic/simple woodie will be best and easiest to accomplish.

I tried making a Superman: The Escape coaster for my physics class in high school, but I went with a simple out-n-back/twister woodie due to the fact I that couldn't get the electronics to work properly for the magnets. Maybe I'll attempt it in a bigger scale with my K'Nex.
  • FullMetal%s's Photo
    It won't be a working model, that's just too complex at the moment.

Me and my friend have decided to go with a simple theme. We've scapped the water ride, but not the flat ride, and we've decided to call it Star-Rider.
    Will post pics soon.
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo
    I've heard that bass wood works well for wooden coasters. I imagine it probably would, since balsa is a bit too soft, imo.
  • FullMetal%s's Photo
    Finally, some pictures.

A model of the model made in RCT2 (if that makes any sense). I tried to get it as close as possible to what I really wanted.
    Posted Image
    Posted Image
    Comments and critisism on the layout would be much appreciated.

Edited by Xin, 20 September 2007 - 07:06 PM.

• Evil WME%s's Photo
    If you're going to waste your time building something with wood, firstly, why model it after rct which is (in different ways) more limited. Secondly, the layout isn't spectacular by a long shot. I'd say, if you do decide to model it after something in rct take a look around, take some elements off of coasters that you really like or take your time and really get a good design for it.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading