General Chat / Preventing Right-clicking on a Website

• Jellybones%s's Photo
    So I am designing a website for my school's photography club. We plan to display lots of photos, some of which are from some pro photographers that are part of our faculty. So we want to make sure people can't be reproducing anyone's work. There's a way to prevent people from right-clicking and saving pictures, right? Can anyone tell me how? Many thanks.
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    you can always just print screen anyway. =/
  • gir%s's Photo
    the media tab in firefox's page info is also pretty useful for that...I don't know of any real ways around print-screen either.
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    possibly a flash pop-up viewer instead of an on-page picture?
    i know a few sites have done it, but can't remember where
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    All true!

I don't really care, just the club president. Not like we'll be posting hi-res images, but who knows.
  • Magnus%s's Photo
    No high resolution pictures, strong compression and/or watermarking pictures is the only way to prevent other people from copyinf them.

Good luck with the project. Looking forward to see those pictures.
  • JJ%s's Photo
    There is no way... to stop it.

watermarking pictures people can just edit out the watermark :|
  • Magnus%s's Photo
    Good luck and that one is rather small ...
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    Give me 20 minutes and I'll copy the shit out of that one :D

A simple "no right click allowed" would be something like

<body oncontextmenu="return false">

That just disables the right-click-context menu. Prevents those from copying the image who don't know how to take a look at the source code ^^
  • Magnus%s's Photo
    Sure it is possible, but 20 minutes are way too much time for such a picture ...
    Usually the photographers puts his watermark diagonal over the full image. This really is the best way to protect your work ... apart from not showing it.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    I found a website once when I print-screened it came up as only the watermark. So obviously something like that is possible. But for the most part, anyone trying to steal a picture from a school website isn't going to be all that smart to begin with.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    I just checked it, the
    <body oncontextmenu="return false">
    works in html. No context menu when you right-click on the page.
    But as already said, just for those who don't look at the source code.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading