Micro Madness / Micro Madness - Round 1 Results

• Kumba%s's Photo
    Posted Image

Match-Up #1:

#8 Midnight Aurora with his entry New World Order vs. #9 ivo with his entry AFRICAN

After 4 votes by the judges, the winner, by a score of 3 to 1, is... Midnight Aurora

Midnight Aurora advances to round two, where we will take on the winner of the CederPoint6 vs. CX360 match-up.

Updated brackets coming soon...
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    i'm not entirely sure i agree with this decision. my thoughts-
    NWO- [MA]
    A solid entry, i think. If i ad to say one thing i think it might be that it relies perhaps too much on clever hacks rather than actual substance... once i've seen all the hacks, what's going to keep me looking at this? That said, there's plenty of them. you and i obviously had (have?) the same thoughts for building cities with codex's aid.. (glass fence walling, flying saucer roofing) .. might have to retool/upgrade my round 2 park now. :p The cliff texture is well used here.. not sure the black tile hack is necessary here. You've only got what, 225 tiles to work with? why cut half of them out? Still, the thing looks pretty spiffy. While the layout of the coaster is undeniably good, i can't help but feel you could have done more with the upward launch... perhaps [idea removed so i can use it later] or [idea removed so i can use it later]? .. nevermind, i'm totally patenting those plans.
    *cough* anyway. The hacks are very clever and for the most part well-applied, and apparently cleaner than mine. >_> The coaster is very good but falls short of excellence.. the custom supports look kind of thrown in. Liked the cops in cages and the judge references.
    good luck in your round 2.

AFRICAN- [ivo]
    Not bad at all. lovely landscaping and foliage use, and very well detailed archy overall... the tower in the corner seemed out of place, though. Th layout was nice, but i felt you could have done more with the back half of it.. helix or something, maybe? The station building i liked very much, but you could have used, say, log cabin entrance/exit and cleared away some of the glitches. some wonky supports. African theme is kind of cliched. More than one 'bushmen' might have made them a little more believable, particularly if they were on invisible path out in the jungle, or the same thing with tigers/elephants/whatever. also there was a distinct lack of 'MA' handymen drowning. :p The little buildings in front of the station were nice, but could have been improved with a stall or two in them to give them some character. You seem to have a solid grasp of the game, so take advantage of your time not in the contest to build something for all of us to drool over in the ad district between matchups. :p

Both parks could have used a secondary ride to help round them off... perhaps a motion sim in one of your buildings, MA, or a top spin in that corner with the out-of-place tower, ivo. Shame on both of you for using bad entrance/exits- ivo shouold have picked something that would be less glitchy/fit in better, and MA should have made sure a circus tent wasn't poking out of his skyscraper. :p
    Overall i guess i'd go MA too.. The RCT2 park is decidedly more detailed, but rehashes an african theme we've seen done well enough that it's easy to find fault here.
    I liked MA's coaster better, but his foliage choices were a bit below ivo's.
    landscaping was about equal, i guess, but MA made use of a clever cliff-texture hack, so he wins that one.
    Architecture- Ivo's was very nice minus that tower in the corner. MA's had a good blend of game scenery and codex'd land tiles.. there could be a tiny bit of edge for difficulty on MA's side, i guess, but i'm calling this about even.
    Theme/Bonus- MA wins this category for not rehashing a theme, for using a bunch of subtle hacks, and for naming his supports so awesomely.

Edited by ][ntamin22, 12 November 2007 - 11:09 PM.

• Camcorder22%s's Photo
    Could maybe someone post overviews for people who don't have rct1 installed?
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    NWO by M.A
    Posted Image
    AFRICAN by ivo
    Posted Image

There's quite a bit more glitching in my entry than I would have liked, but with as much hacking as it took to get certain things done, it would have taken forever to fix. The whole map didn't turn out as well as I hoped, to be honest, but my main goals were to use the volcano texture and the purple colour. Everything else was just improvization. Cheers to OLE for the black tiles, and Nevis for the launch.

@ivo- I really like the colour scheme and path interaction. The supports on the cobra roll were creative as well, for the space issues... Shame you didn't drown me, though, ha.
  • Levis%s's Photo
    I like both entries :) .
    personally I think I would had gone for IVO but thats more because its rct2 and my LL knowledge isn't that good :p .
    congrats on the win MA ;) .
  • JJ%s's Photo
    ivo's was better :)
  • Loopy%s's Photo
    I believe that MA did deserve the win here. Ivo's was really good, I just feel like weve seen the same black and brown, african themed invert way too much in the past year or so. It's just been done to death. There was no denying it was of a high quality though so im looking forward to see what you can create in a solo.

Loved all the hacks in MA's such as the textured landscaping using those volcanos. I thought that was a really good idea.

Overall, it was a solid round. Congrats to MA and commiserations to Ivo.
  • Milo%s's Photo
    It was closer than the results show I guess but honestly I feel that it wasn't an upset at all. MA's lacked substance but had some creative hacks (the volcano texture looked great man). And the black tiles looked great :p although maybe a little unnecessary here. I will admit that I was expecting more in the coaster department from you... at least some sort of hacked portion. It was a fairly decent collection of hacks and i liked the humor in it so congrats on the win :).

Ivo's was ok but I agree that it's just one too many black inverts with tan structures and jungle foliage to really grab my attention. The layout was nice but i feel could have been improved if it had been a little longer. It was a nice showing though. Hope to see some more work from you soon :).
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    MA would have been my pick if I had voted. imo ivo only beat him in architecture and just matched him in detail where MA had the better coaster, ideas, hacking and theme.

Great work to you both, it was a close match-up and someone had to win.
  • Emergo%s's Photo
    I had a hard time deciding who I should vote for in this first matchup....

My knowledge about LL is next to nothing, though I still have it installed on one of my oldest computers still kept (with windows '95 as the latest update, Lol!, nearly an antiquity now....). When I got that to work properly again, I surfed as many RCT-sites as possible in a reasonable time, to update my knowledge of LL with today's possibilities/developments to at least an acceptable level (I hope).

MA's park: I liked very much how you executed the idea behind it. Think you found a really good and creative way to express that.!!
    I was even impressed by the great hacks.....which is difficult to impress me with, because even if I can downright admire the skill with which those things are done, (I cannot do it at all....) I only am impressed by them if they do serve a purpose for a park/theme/idea and add a surplus to that, and absolutely not when they are just there for the show/possibilities of hacking as such.
    In this case however I think they added a lot and even were essential. So my kudo´s on that, very cool (and great funny coaster as well as namings that gave me a -positive- laugh!)
    Yes, it could have used a bit more substance to make it really amazing....but still, good job.

I also absolutely loved Ivo's park: nicely balanced, some really beautiful and refined detailed buildings, fitting to the scale of this mini, pleasant coaster (bit slow here and there, but yeah...it's a mini-mini...), and nice little other details, etc.
    Surprisingly nice mini-park in the first round!!!
    Some flaws also (mentioned already in above posts), but then, which park can be completely perfect for everybody's taste.....?
    I am sure this park would have beaten a lot of others in the first round, but chewing a bit on it, I thought MA deserved the win because of originality/execution of ideas, so I finally voted for MA´s park.

As said by others before, the African/Black Mamba theme has been coming along so often past year, that it is hard to still beat that......but for me you nearly did, Ivo.
    So, like others, I am looking very much forward to a solo from you.
    (hartstikke goed mini-parkje!!!)

Emergo
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    Ivo did something we've all seen done before: several times, recently... MA did several thing that while many of us are aware of them and such, that are fresh. At least more so. The coaster was also had a reasonable layout and the overall atmosphere of the park just felt different.

So clearly I'm in support of the results, no offense to Ivo though, he put together a solid entry, even if the thinking was a bit stale. And MA, I know you've got more cards than that in your hand so next round should be interesting as you have to bring more and more to each match if you really expect to win it.

Oh and good call starting off with a seed 8 Vs. a seed 9, even if it wasn't intentional.

Ride6
  • Turtle%s's Photo
    That volcano texture is perfect. I'm impressed.
  • rct2123%s's Photo
    I think you should post an overview of each park in the first post. I really don't feel like having 36 different 15x15 parks in my saved games folder. BTW, isn't everything due in early december?...

-Rct2123
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    noo, that's the deadline. as in, they MUST be in by then, but they can be before.
  • rct2123%s's Photo
    Ahh, so he is just posting them as they get done? There has been no change right?...

-Rct2123
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    Yeah.

As for posting overviews... I guess I could...
  • ivo%s's Photo
    to bad i lose :( I had some really good ideas for the next rounds. I dunno what to do whit my half-competed second round entry.
    @ midnight aura: Looks from the screen as a really nice entry ( i cant take a look inside because ll dont wants to work) I like the hacks you put in but i don't think that black wasn't needed. Looking forward to see you next entry.

Edited by ivo, 14 November 2007 - 09:31 AM.

• Levis%s's Photo

to bad i lose :( I had some really good ideas for the next rounds. I dunno what to do whit my half-competed second round entry.
    @ midnight aura: Looks from the screen as a really nice entry ( i cant take a look inside because ll dont wants to work) I like the hacks you put in but i don't think that black wasn't needed. Looking forward to see you next entry.

complete it and send it in for CC ;) .
  • ivo%s's Photo
    Well maybey i do. But first we gone finish that other one :lol:
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    Posted Image

Match-Up #2: Zodiac vs. Fr3ak

#8 Zodaic with his entry:
    Yin Yang

Posted Image

#9 Fr3ak with his entry:
    Diamond Quest

Posted Image

After 3 votes by the judges, the winner, by a score of 3 to 0, is... Zodiac

Zodaic advances to round two, where we will take on the winner of the RRP vs. Xin match-up.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading