General Chat / Medicinal Marijuana

• minnimee85%s's Photo
    So a simple question with a myriad of potential answers. The reason I ask is my senior thesis is a policy analysis that looks at the grounds for the current ban on marijuana in all forms (hemp, recreational, and medicinal), and rather than actually write the thesis (what fun is that?), I figured I'd do some opinion research..
  • Levis%s's Photo
    well here in holland its legal and I know some people who really have benefit from the medical marijuana (also people have benefit from the normal marijuana but thats another case :p ).
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    Smokers will tell you its completely necessary to lift the ban. As if there's not already enough people that don't do anything but smoke pot all day, and this is when it's relatively hard to obtain.

Non-smokers will generally not give a shit either way, depending on age. The older a person gets, the less likely they are to get shitfaced or stoned all day, and the less likely they are to be accepting of other people that do. Guess who votes more?
  • RRP%s's Photo
    i think the main question is if the ban was lifted would they be able to limit the amount that people can recieve each day in order to keep things controlled.It's never going to be legal again or atleast for a long time so there not really much point worrying about it
  • Levis%s's Photo
    well medical marijuana is often taken by thee .....
  • Steve%s's Photo
    They banned medicinal marijuana? I didn't know that. What's that all about.
  • minnimee85%s's Photo
    Steve--Well its not a ban on medicinal marijuna persay. Marijuana is considered a Schedule 1 drug which makes it illegal for all purposes other than FDA approved research.
    Gonzalez V Raich (I think its gonzalez) 2005 allowed the federal government to continue to arrest and prosecute both providers and users of medicinal marijuana, despite voter authorized use of it.
    Also, most government sources argue that there is scientific evidence that backs up the usual statements. You know that it causes violence, is addictive and cause other drug use (most researchers will tell you this all politically concocted bullshit). The ban was actually based more in racism, and economic concerns of paper mills and cotton growers...

MA--I'm not arguing so much for recreational marijuana, but rather as medicinal for the 30-50% of patients for whom conventional medications do not work. Generally these are terminally ill patients who dont do anything else anyways...
    Granted, I do beleive that recreational use should be at the very least decriminalized, but I am a realist. The government will most likely never allow this to happen again (if they lose marijuana, the DEA really wont have anything else to do, as they've completely failed to control harder drugs like heroin and cocaine).
    Levis- Yeah, and the United States government is pissed off that its working.
    RRP- They've already failed to limit people's intake, but I understand your point.
  • Comet%s's Photo
    Is this for the U.S. or England?
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo
    marijuana for medication would be as abused as oxicodone and other narcotics are now. seems pointless.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

marijuana for medication would be as abused as oxicodone and other narcotics are now. seems pointless.

This is what I assumed when I made my other comment.
  • minnimee85%s's Photo
    Except narcotics like oxi and hydrocodone are ten times worse for you..

And not neccesarilly. Abuse of marijuana is more directly related to the legal environment than the drug itself..

Further, what definition of abuse are you using? Technically the definition includes repeated problems with the law as a result of using...
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo
    if marijuana was legalized for medication, there would be more "drug sniffing" patients than there already are. do you not see that as abuse? abuse of a priveledge? come, fucking, on. jesus. sure you can overdose on morphine and drug derivatives, and sure marijuana isn't harmful at all, in fact it's the fucking source of life, but fuck guy, you can be a more productive person if you don't do that shit. that's exactly what it is. shit. you don't need it. it won't be legalized. quit jumping on the fucking let's legalize medical marijuana because it will get us what every fucking person ever wants--for the US to be fucking amsterdamn--bandwaggon. fuck. it's not going to happen. america is not a party-hardy country. we have to work for shit goddamn it. and besides, there are two houses full of politicians on capitol hill with a gigantic stick up their collective ass that will never consider giving anybody who seeks mind altering drugs a fucking inch unless it's by means of a 300 dollar "boost the economy because it sucks right now" check. jesus christ. what the fuck time do you think it is, the 70's? take a piss and realize that you have responsibilities now, son, and weed's only going to a.) hinder those mentally or b.) hinder those financially. grow up.
  • sixflagsfreak56%s's Photo
    So your for it?
  • JiMeMo%s's Photo
    I don't do drugs. Never have, never will. I think it's stupid.

But I am in favor of legalizing marijuana in the privacy of one's own home. For medical reasons or otherwise.
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo

So your for it?

yes sir! i hate seeing people suffer.

Edited by penguinBOB, 27 March 2008 - 12:40 AM.

• Carl%s's Photo
    Whether you suffer from glaucoma or you just rented The Matrix, medical marijuana makes everything fabulous, medically speaking, of course ;)
  • Blitz%s's Photo
    prescription drug abuse is hawt.
  • tyandor%s's Photo
    Personally I don't really get all the commotion marihuana gets. It's not 100% legal here in holland, but we simply don't prosecute users as it's not really seen as a crime here. I don't see the point either. If you can't smoke it it you should also ban cigarretes and all alcoholics as the difference between them is very slim in terms of health damage or mental effects. It makes no sense.
    I'm not a user btw, but I seriously have no more problems with it than with the above stuff.
    Also we have very few casualties here of overdoses compared to some countries with a very strict drug policy.
  • trav%s's Photo

If you can't smoke it it you should also ban cigarretes and all alcoholics as the difference between them is very slim in terms of health damage or mental effects. It makes no sense.
    I'm not a user btw, but I seriously have no more problems with it than with the above stuff.

The reason Marijuana is banned is because it apparently leads on to the user trying harder drugs such as heroin.

Which is complete, total, and utter bollocks.
  • RMM%s's Photo
    yea, thats 100% bullshit trav.
    only an idiot will blame weed for them trying heroin.

the reason marijuana is banned is simply because the government won't profit from it.
    tobacco and alcohol is ran by the govt. it makes money.
    more people are killed by alcohol and being drunk over weed.
    simple.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading