General Chat / The Olympics

• Kumba%s's Photo
    *attempts to start a USA chant*

Im pulling for the USA in basketball, but otherwise just hoping for a good worldwide showing of globalization, progress and sportsmanship. If it can be done in China it can be done all over the world :)
  • JJ%s's Photo
    Last time I watched the Olympics I was in america and all I saw was Americans there was little on the rest of the world...
  • posix%s's Photo
    the most breathtaking opening ceremony i've ever seen
  • gir%s's Photo

Last time I watched the Olympics I was in america and all I saw was Americans there was little on the rest of the world...

Because Americans want to watch Americans...is this a bad thing?
  • Sey%s's Photo

yeah, I was surprised...
    I liked most the ending and the fireworks^^
    This time, Germany had more athletes than before
  • Lloyd%s's Photo
    I love the Olympics, let's hope it's all as good as the opening ceremony.
  • FullMetal%s's Photo

You have to realize that Americans are very self centered and unintelligent. If the olympics where left in the hands of the Americans, it would contain only baseball, football, and basketball. No soccer, no gymnastics, no 100 meter dash, etc...
  • Comet%s's Photo
    I don't even know what to say Xin sometimes your so stupid.

And I'm never really impressed with the opening ceremonies which is probably why I didn't think this one was too entertaining but I have to admit some of the effects were pretty cool.
    The parade of nations is just too damn long even though I understand it's an Olympic staple.
  • Marshy%s's Photo

but otherwise just hoping for a good worldwide showing of globalization, progress and sportsmanship. If it can be done in China it can be done all over the world :)

Yeh untill terrorists bomb the hell out of it.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    Didn't watch it. I won't watch anything related to chinese olympics.
    As long as the act like complete douchebags in Tibet, I will boycott anything chinese.
  • gir%s's Photo
    No, Xin.

I thought the opening ceremonies were spectacular despite having to go watch them somewhere else because the power in my neighborhood was out until half an hour ago. :|
  • Magnus%s's Photo
    @Mifune:
    I did not know the olympics were a chinese thing. Yes, the olympics take place in china this time, however this is a sports event and sports has nothing to do with politics.
    People have been training for years to be part of the Olympics and cannot change anything about the situation in Tibet.

Apart from the Tibet belongs to china for a very long time already. China did not care a lot about Tibet for almost as long, but Tibet still belongs to china.
    I am against the way China tries to quite the people of Tibet, however I do not think the people of Tibet have the right to found a new country against the will of china.
    (If you really think they have a right to form the country of Tibet, you would have to boycott everything spanish aswell. There are a lot more examples ...)

I did not have the time to watch the opening ceremony, but I am looking forward to seeing at least the highlights (and Dirk with the German flag :D).
  • ACEfanatic02%s's Photo

This.

I came downstairs late and apparently missed some pretty impressive drummers. But what I did see was fucking incredible.

The Chinese sure know how to make a statement.

Also, here's hoping the US grabs gold in basketball this time.

-ACE
  • Kevin Enns%s's Photo
    FUCK THE OLYMPICS!!

BOYCOTT FUCKING TYRANNICAL CHINA!!

BUY AMERICAN OR AT LEAST DANISH!!

FREE TIBET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, don't you all feel guility about watching these "freedom/acting like a responsibly country/you know what I mean" Olympics when they are in oppressive CHINA?? As much as I love the Olympics, I refuse to watch it, or any future Olympics until the Olympic committee publicly, formally and seriously apologizes for this violation of human rights and ethics of holding the Olympics in this tyrannical, wicked and shameful land of China.
    FREE TIBET!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOYCOTT CHINESE PRODUCTS!! BOYCOTT CHINESE OLYPMICS!!

FREE TIBET!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Oh, and, even though I won't be watching, go Canada.

Edited by Kevin_Enns, 09 August 2008 - 12:25 PM.

• Milo%s's Photo

BOYCOTT CHINESE PRODUCTS!! BOYCOTT CHINESE OLYPMICS!!

you have yourself a fun time with that
  • JJ%s's Photo
    While you're just being stupid I'll just enjoy myself some olympics.
  • Lloyd%s's Photo

While you're just being stupid I'll just enjoy myself some olympics.

I believe this sounds like a very good idea, sir.

And Kevin, just go preach your bullshit somewhere else, you're getting on my tits now.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo

You have to realize that Americans are very self centered and unintelligent.

By simply omitting the word "many," you've turned your post into an incredibly stereotypical and unintelligent statement. Nice job. ;)

I will boycott anything chinese.

:'( Awwww... where's the love? (BTW, if you respond to this post, you will have broken your own boycott. ;) )

Tibet belongs to china for a very long time already.

Erm, actually that's a bit clouded. Tibet *traditionally* has been an independent entity. Although it has been been ruled by China over periods of time, it should really be autonomous. The Tibetan people are not the same as the Han people of China, and Tibet has its own culture and leadership. Plus, all Tibet really wants is autonomy within China, similar to what Hong Kong has for the next forty years following their transfer of power back to China from Britain (it was a 50 year thing when it started, and that was like a decade ago). So yeah, what China's doing in Tibet, and heck, how they influence Sudan, is pretty reprimandable.

But it's the Olympics. The venue may not belong to a country you support, but the events themselves should transcend politics. So to boycott the Olympics to protest China is a little extreme IMO. That's like protesting soldier's funerals because you oppose the Iraqi War, or because you're one of the nutjobs who thinks any bad thing that happens to America is because it "supports gays." Just not quite that extreme.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo

FREE TIBET!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll take it!

*runs to a pay phone*

Hello, China? I have something that you might want. But it'll cost you. Yeah... all of them... muahahahahahahaha
  • Kevin Enns%s's Photo

But it's the Olympics. The venue may not belong to a country you support, but the events themselves should transcend politics. So to boycott the Olympics to protest China is a little extreme IMO. That's like protesting soldier's funerals because you oppose the Iraqi War, or because you're one of the nutjobs who thinks any bad thing that happens to America is because it "supports gays." Just not quite that extreme.

That whole post showed EXTREME wisdom. Wow. It's clear you have been around here a loooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg time. Anyways. Are you serious, is "boycotting the Olympics to protest China['s evilness]" the same as "protesting soldier's funerals because you oppose the Iraqi war". If you can prove this, I would be eternally thankful, as I could enjoy some good international athletics while not comprosming my intergrity, my morals, or my desire to

FREE TIBET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading