News / Failed Submission Batch #1

• geewhzz%s's Photo
    We have released the first batch of submissions that didn't quite measure up to accolade standards. They can all be downloaded from this news post. Feel free to comment on them in this thread.
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    on the subject of releasing failed entries-

I'm cool if you tell us what didn't make it and the scores, but some people might not prefer it to be public knowledge. It's probably alright if you do it anyway, just so long as submitters know going into it that if they don't make it everyone will find out regardless. Personally though, I'd keep scores and such between the committee and the submitter- publicly displaying scores is just fuel for debate. ("Hey, park X wasn't really that good, why did it get a full point better than mine?") It isn't that i doubt the ability of the panel and leadership to fully back up their decisions, it is just easier when done individually. Perhaps even a "what you could improve upon" mailing with the score and ratings?
    the larger issue, though, is that if NE releases even failed submissions, they've officially been released publicly- and therefore not acceptable for submission anywhere else. I'm not even going to go into how this encourages an "NE or nothing" mindset in a fading community that doesn't need further division- what I will say is that just because your design fell .25 short of NE standards doesn't mean it isn't really cool and deserving of a little logo and download page at another site, if they'll give you one. We all spend enough of our time behind keyboards zero-clearancing that we're pretty proud of our work (at least I hope we all are) , so why take away a chance to have something a little self-satisfying like a spiffy logo and description to show for it?

p.s.- thanks, whoever moved this.

Edited by ][ntamin22, 01 September 2008 - 07:33 PM.

• JJ%s's Photo
    Hey if I submit something and it fails I'd like it if you don't 'host' the park for me because I'd rather see it as a winner or neutral, not be shamed like this.
  • FK+Coastermind%s's Photo
    A...Yuk, this is like slapping everyone who submits in the face and calling them a bitch. plz, just show us winners! nothing says you suck like having your work posted in a failure group. plus, this makes the honor of having NE host your work because its great, become just something that all submissions get. keep it honorable, host the winners, leave the loosers alone.

FK
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    Have to agree with everything said up there. Especially since RCTAvenged would definitely be my second option but I would like to try at ne as well but I can't try again at avenged if it's released here. I think you should ask the person if they want them released like this.

Also, remember when we had the thing at the beginning of ne3 where the ad showed on the main screen or something like that and it was changed back to normal because we didn't want bad quality stuff on the home page? This is just like that (even if it isn't all bad quality, but you know what I mean)

Edited by RaPiPo, 01 September 2008 - 08:15 PM.

• Kumba%s's Photo
    Take the DL to my park down now please.

You guy should not post them without ASKING the parkmaker! I mean all you did was tell me it failed. I still want to try for a release somewhere else.
  • RCTNW%s's Photo
    Hey guys, I think this is a bad idea if your not asking the Parkmaker if they want it released this way. Many other sites have contests and submissions that you can only submit it if it has not been released. By doing this, it prevents it from going to other sites.

I for one would not want any of my parks to be release in this fashion should it not make the cut.

James
  • Highball%s's Photo

Hey guys, I think this is a bad idea if your not asking the Parkmaker if they want it released this way. Many other sites have contests and submissions that you can only submit it if it has not been released. By doing this, it prevents it from going to other sites.

I for one would not want any of my parks to be release in this fashion should it make the cut.

James

couldnt have said it better myself. i also think that the word fail is a little too harsh.
  • Comet%s's Photo
    No thanks.
    Not only is it insulting because of the way they are being released, it's also annoying to see that my park is the only one that no one has even bothered to download yet.
  • Gwazi%s's Photo
    i downloaded it from there to make you feel better comet. =)

although you guys have been doing a lot of good stuff for the community lately, i think you missed with this one. i agree with the others.
  • Kevin Enns%s's Photo
    I think it's great. Now, when you submit something to New Fucking Element, you mean Serious Fucking Business. Honestly. It's like, if you're afraid of being "shamed" "disgraced" "cast out from society" don't post with the big boys, sonny. Go to some dying, fading, diseased RCT site.

The fear of being ashamed/actually being ashamed creates a hardcore atmosphere here, that further elevates NE to the highest of the highest realms of RCT playing. Words like "failed" and "fucking bullshit bitch" only serve to scare wannabes into making quality material. The public humiliation is a way to shame people into stop making shit.

Furthermore, I think by sending your creation to a website you are giving them the right to post it.

p.s. I could easily send one of my FUCKING SHIT parks to you guys to make it seem serious, and I would get 0.0/10, but that might be considered trolling. If you want to see the WORST RCT2 CREATION EVER on NE, just tell me.

I'm not even going to go into how this encourages an "NE or nothing" mindset in a fading community that doesn't need further division- what I will say is that just because your design fell .25 short of NE standards doesn't mean it isn't really cool and deserving of a little logo and download page at another site, if they'll give you one. We all spend enough of our time behind keyboards zero-clearancing that we're pretty proud of our work (at least I hope we all are) , so why take away a chance to have something a little self-satisfying like a spiffy logo and description to show for it?

A) NE or nothing. I may just sig that. It's true. Find me an RCT site half this good. RCT2.com? Congratulations on a FUCKING YEAR of downtime. Yeah, that's rich. Tycoon Planet? Yeah, great new redesign. Congratulations on three updates to your site since February, and ZERO since April. RCT Station? Talk about the best going sour. The Archive of it Red Phoenix put up is 10/10 sweet however. My POINT is, NE is the ONLY real site for RCT nowadays which is still dynamic.
    B) If you want a little logo, make your own, and put it in the zip file, and those who DL it will see it. Same with a description.
  • Comet%s's Photo
    Here you go Kevin...

http://rctavenged.com/
  • Gwazi%s's Photo
    nooooo comet now he's gonna come over there ='(
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    QUICK HIDE THE LINK HIDE THE LINK

Edited by ][ntamin22, 01 September 2008 - 10:57 PM.

• Kevin Enns%s's Photo
    I win today's Captain Oblivious Award (yesterday's actually).

Is RCTAvenged as good as NE? Do they have a Shitpile and a good community?

I might join there.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    go and find out for yourself

Guys this failed release idea sucks especially when a lot of those that you've hosted already are hosted at avenged as an acolade.
  • posix%s's Photo
    okay wow, looks like this totally went the wrong way.
    i would never have expected people to feel humiliated by this. you know, our intentions with this were to give their submissions more attention than what they would get in "place-to-release-your-parks". we thought if on the frontpage, more people would download it more, considering as we host it for you and you don't have to look for freehosters or some painful websites like rapidshare and such.
    now, we had a hard time last night finding a decent name for submissions who didn't win something. the pity was that obviously we could not call them "runner ups" but couldn't find a proper synonym. anyone have good suggestions?

what interests me the most is this "if i can't get an ne accolade then do not post it for i want some other site's accolade" argument. i can understand that standpoint. but i personally also see what kevin posted

Furthermore, I think by sending your creation to a website you are giving them the right to post it.

by sending us your submission, it's a website decision you make, right? after all we have the richest and most prominent rct history and the best accolade presentation. i honestly don't think there is any other site who is putting even close as much effort into making these release pages as we do.
    nevertheless, i believe the only person who has the right to decide what happens with his release is the creator himself. so from now on, should a submission someone has sent not reach the required score, we will only post it in this fashion if the creator allows us to, in order to respect any future intentions someone might have with his creation.
    and to calm you all down, i guess it looks like this will mean that posting "failed submissions" is not going to happen again.

edit: Kumba, i have removed your park.
  • RCTNW%s's Photo

nevertheless, i believe the only person who has the right to decide what happens with his release is the creator himself. so from now on, should a submission someone has sent not reach the required score, we will only post it in this fashion if the creator allows us to, in order to respect any future intentions someone might have with his creation.
    and to calm you all down, i guess it looks like this will mean that posting "failed submissions" is not going to happen again.

Although it would be nice to call them something different, I can respect the intent of what you guys were trying to accomplish. That said, giving the choice back to the parkmaker on what to do with his creation is perfect and I think you now have the concept you were trying for all along.

Thanks for listening once again and doing (what I feel anyway) the right thing here.

James
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    Thanks for removing my park posix. I am fine with you doing this if you check with the parkmakers first which it sounds like you will do now and to your credit it was a good idea and it would be nice to see happen again because of the front page exposure.
  • Comet%s's Photo
    If this is meant as somewhere to comment on those parks I wouldn't actually mind it, it is better then releasing it in the Place-to-realease-your-parks-land.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading