Music Forum / DEATH MAGNETIC

• Steve%s's Photo
    Guys if you're looking to get a hardcopy of Metallica's new album, hit up your local Hot Topic on Friday and Friday ONLY for a sweet deal. You can pick up the CD for $5, limit 2 copies per customer. Also, score a Metallica tee shirt for $5, limit 2 shirts per customer. So basically, you're picking up like, $60 of merch for like $20. Its only for one day so make a mental note if you're interested.
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    Metallica is a joke.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

Metallica is a joke.

double true.
  • zburns999%s's Photo
    I've been listening to some of the released singles, and the album seems promising. Kind of reminds me of their stuff pre-Black Album.

And tE and MA, why is Metallica a joke? Any band that gains such a large fan base is eventually going to become commercialized and merchandise-based. That's just how life works.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo
    They've never been any different from any of the other joke thrash bands.
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo

I've been listening to some of the released singles, and the album seems promising. Kind of reminds me of their stuff pre-Black Album.

And tE and MA, why is Metallica a joke? Any band that gains such a large fan base is eventually going to become commercialized and merchandise-based. That's just how life works.

They're all enormous twats is how they're a joke.
  • ekimmel%s's Photo
    I like the new album. Not exactly AJFA but not Re/Load either. Not sure I'd be caught dead in a Hot Topic at the age of 40. Although they'd probably just assume I'm buying it for my teenager! LOL
  • chapelz%s's Photo
    This topic is disappointing on so many levels.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    Metallica > all

end of discussion
  • ekimmel%s's Photo
    I'm a longtime Metallica fan. I bought Kill 'Em All on vinyl before they were big. I wore out my Ride the lightning LP and bought the CD as an import because it was released in the UK a few months before it was released here (my CD has the songs numbered 1-4 and 1-4 on the back). Anyways, I've been a fan for a long time. So I'm coming from that perspective.

While Death Magnetic doesn't take me back to the days of Master or Justice it's certainly a much stronger effort than anything since Justice. The first four are definitely the best but this comes in a solid fifth place (I'm not counting any of the three Garage Days releases). Pretty solid record. It has some of the annoying elements from Re/Load -- Lars is still an average drummer, James' growls occasionally, and I wish Kirk would throw that fucking wah pedal out the tour bus window but the thrash is back. About 10 years later than it should have been but better late then never.
  • FullMetal%s's Photo

I like the new album. Not exactly AJFA but not Re/Load either. Not sure I'd be caught dead in a Hot Topic at the age of 40. Although they'd probably just assume I'm buying it for my teenager! LOL

Not to be disrespectful or anything, but I think it's kind of funny that you won't go into Hot Topic, but you're a member of an RCT fansite.

Anyway, still waiting for the opportunity to get Death Magnetic. Black Album would probably be my favorite because it has some meaningful lyrics, but I do hope that it sounds something like MoP. It would be nice to hear some classic Metallica, rather than anything new. (Wasn't a big fan of Garage Days.)
  • zburns999%s's Photo
    I picked up a copy of Death Magnetic on Friday, and I've been letting it play over and over again since to try to get the songs down. As ekimmel said, it's a really solid album. "The Day that Never Comes" is really good. Like, almost "One" good, so that says a lot. A lot of other good tracks too.
  • Camcorder22%s's Photo
    I think they have always been better than most thrash bands in that they were a bit more progressive on albums like AJFA. Its just a shame that they got the most famous on their mediocre albums. This album is sounding great, I almost thought of buying it, but made sure to get it off of limewire after they were being such pussys over Napster. I mean if your a small band trying to survive, I could understand being angry about being ripped off, but that was just a ridiculous attempt for more money.
  • ekimmel%s's Photo

Not to be disrespectful or anything, but I think it's kind of funny that you won't go into Hot Topic, but you're a member of an RCT fansite.

I'm way too old for Hot Topic but not too old to enjoy a game about roller coasters and theme parks. At least I hope I'm not too old. Maybe I should be playing Hoyle Card Games instead? Or maybe the senior circuit for Starcraft?

Anyways, Target has the CD for $10 in my area. If you don't live near a Hot Topic you should try there. The packaging is pretty cool so it's worth getting the CD instead of downloading it off iTunes or wherever.
  • Steve%s's Photo
    Tons of people (male and female) over the age of forty come into my Hot Topic. The store is not as scary as it looks; trust me.
  • ekimmel%s's Photo

Tons of people (male and female) over the age of forty come into my Hot Topic. The store is not as scary as it looks; trust me.

Hmmm...... maybe I'll peek in next time I'm at the mall.
  • Timothy Cross%s's Photo
    sorry for the bump, but...

They sold their souls... now jokes of their former selves... completely the opposite of what they once were. Writing music without honesty or any passion cause they are now assimilated into the main stream mechanism. Something that happened to Kurt Cobain against his very will, then he blew his head off, and everyone still thinks "smells like teen spirit" is the greatest Nirvana song of all time while pronouncing the band's name all gay and lame like. Yeah, I can't stand that horrible song, and I hate the name "Nearvana".

Back to Metallica though, can't stand the new stuff or any of the sold out garbage from the black album and onwards. Much of the guitars are still very good, surprisingly, but the singing is horrible with absolute no true heart and a type of mic presence that is indeed there, but absolutely annoying and makes you want to drive to James Hetfield's house and rip out his larynx because he won't take a hint and hang up the boots. He should go on American Idol, so Simon can vomit all over him.

$$$ takes another soul.

Edited by FantastiCo, 02 August 2009 - 12:35 PM.

• inVersed%s's Photo
    Don't know why hot topic gets such a bad name... they have nice T-shirts from some cool rappers and bands. Though I dont think I have ever seen another black person aside from myself in there lol

Edited by inVersed, 02 August 2009 - 01:17 PM.

• zodiac%s's Photo
    i usually only go in Hot Topic to look at the records, seeing as there's no other mainstream store that has them. i did have an interesting discussion about Radiohead with the guy at the register, though. he was wearing a The Devil Wears Prada shirt.
  • Steve%s's Photo

i usually only go in Hot Topic to look at the records, seeing as there's no other mainstream store that has them. i did have an interesting discussion about Radiohead with the guy at the register, though. he was wearing a The Devil Wears Prada shirt.

That is pretty much me with every customer I have minus the Devil Wears Prada shirt. We have shitty records at my store, though.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading