General Chat / The Alcohol Appreciation Thread

• Steve%s's Photo
    Sorry to deter from the current hot button topics of the presidential elections, but something of late has been bothering me.

My house is located very close to Interstate 93, about a two minute drive to the nearest on/off ramp. Upon entering the ramp, there is a privately owned gas station that has been there for, I don't know, years? Anyway, about a few months or so ago, I noticed construction happening on the gas station's property. After a few weeks of building, we finally realized it was a billboard for drivers to see from the highway directly passing over to the side of the station. Residents who lived within close proximity of the billboard were pissed, mostly because there was no warning of it being built until like a day before construction (and they can definitely see it from their window, although I can't). Many residents complained and it was eventually brought to city hall where numerous meetings were held. I personally don't mind the billboard per se, but I do find the fact that it's advertising alcohol to be rather unnerving. Yes, I know you're thinking this can't be the first time I've seen liqueur being put on a billboard, and it's not. I just want to know why we think putting an ad for Bud Light is more important than, say, a charity or foundation ad, or a global warming ad. Are we truly that thick to put up an alcohol ad for people who are driving? Sometimes I wonder why this country is going to shit but it seems more and more evident everyday.
  • marsh%s's Photo
    its because they dont give a fuck, they adverize and spend millions of $ on this crap just to say, BUY BUD LIGHT!!! even though every person in america already knows about what there advertising.

PS: and you dont have it worse, 3 years ago on the highway my dad brout me to school on they had a bilborde that said STOP ABORTION! with an aborted fetus on it (yea fetus, im not kidding) but unsurprisingly it was taken down less than a week later, and replaced with a "EAT MOR CHIKIN" ad.

Edited by marsh, 09 October 2008 - 11:20 PM.

• Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    I work for the school bookstore as one of my many jobs. There are two on my campus, the one operated by the university, and the used book store, who makes their living selling mostly used, and always for less, and paying more when you sell them back. I work at the shady used one. My boss's idea for advertising is to have people stand on 3-4 major corners on campus handing out flyers.

Good idea you say? Yeah, on Monday of the first week of class. By Tuesday, you've probably walked past these guys 4 times. By Wednesday people are getting visably upset. By Friday, people are crossing the street so as not to come in contact with you.

His philosophy: If I reach one person, then that's enough. Which, oddly enough, is the same mentality the group, Repent America used when they showed up with those Stop Abortion posters that Marsh was talking about. You'd think advertising reps would eventually think to ask, "Hey, has anyone ever heard of this 'Law of Diminishing Returns'?"

Edited by Midnight Aurora, 09 October 2008 - 11:36 PM.

• geewhzz%s's Photo
    Man, you work at the Uni Bookstore? That industry is the biggest scam ever. Once I'm done with college I cannot wait to be free of the textbook industry.

Man, you work at the Uni Bookstore? That industry is the biggest scam ever. Once I'm done with college I cannot wait to be free of the textbook industry.

Actually, once everyone's got their royalties, copyrights, and other fees paid for, the cost of the book, the transportation of the book, the payroll required for stocking and selling the book, it's pretty much on the up and up. The higher the price, the more other books they probably referenced.

Used books are a different story. Supply and Demand. If we need your book for the next semester, we'll pay you half of what we'll sell it for. We sell it used at 70%, we pay you 35%. Once the market gets flooded with your book, yours isn't worth anything, and we pay wholesale price, which is at most 20-25%. If your book is old or they came out with a new edition, then yours isn't worth shit, and we pay practically nothing.

New editions are a sham. Sometimes they update the table of contents and slap on a new cover. Edition 2, bitches. Update!

Borrow your books from friends. Buying is a waste, even with my discount.
  • Xcoaster%s's Photo
    dealoz.com (formerly campusi.com). Never visit your bookstore again.
  • geewhzz%s's Photo
    I was mainly referring to the new editions. I understand businesses have to cover costs, but some book's content never changes.
  • RRP%s's Photo
    budweiser tastes like piss
  • marsh%s's Photo
    all beer does, but vodka is a different story
  • minnimee85%s's Photo
    Ah my friends, you are understanding the very nature of capitalism. Putting up a billboard for a charity does not make the owner of said billboard as much money as putting up an ad for alcohol...
    Furthermore, with the country the way it is, you'd think alcohol would sell itself..
  • Kevin Enns%s's Photo
    On alcohol: Get the FLYING FUCK over it. It's a free market, and obviously alcohol is paying the highest $ for billboard space. That billboard is not going to make some imaginary teen who's never heard of alcohol develop into an alcoholic serial killer. It's also not going to cause any responsible driver to get drunk and get into a crash.

On books: I agree the price is high but I bought new from the bookstore for a few reasons: A) I like "official" things; B) My dad happens to be an electrician at the University where I go and therefore I got my tuition waived (best thing ever?) and therefore I had several extra gs to spend, and my books in total were less than 1g.
  • RRP%s's Photo

all beer does, but vodka is a different story

no beer is good,bud is stolen,watered down shit.The original czech bud is bad enough let alone the 'american' version.Vodka is also crap unless its french or polish
  • FullMetal%s's Photo
    ^Samuel Adams FTW! The only beer that actually tastes good.

On advertising, companies pay big money to have ads put on billboards. Beer companies pay millions to have a 30 second spot during the Super Bowl. That's just the way things work. I'm currently taking a marketing class, and we've learned that people aren't going to buy your product if they don't know it exists. Another reason for advertising is to tell people how much better your product is compared to the competitor. The list goes on.

And from Steve's description, there doesn't seem to be any ordinance or law that states that an advertisement for an alcoholic beverage can't be visible from private residences. So it seems to me that Steve's neighbors have sand in their vaginas.
    Really, if you're still in high school, we don't need to know your opinion of beer. It's an aquired taste. I bet you don't like wine yet, either.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    ^ What he said.

Although I generally don't drink beer either. However, most of the American crap is pretty bad. I'm partial to Fat Tire and Blue Moon. But I'm also one of the few people I know who do NOT like Guiness (too heavy; that's very Asian of me to say).

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread into an Alcohol Thread.
  • marsh%s's Photo

Samuel Adams FTW! The only beer that actually tastes good

fullmetel

i agree

I bet you don't like wine yet, either

MA

no, the first time i tried it was when i was in church for first comunion, i drank it then spit it on the floor(by acedent)
  • RRP%s's Photo
    a nice pinot or merlot is always good
  • marsh%s's Photo

and we've learned that people aren't going to buy your product if they don't know it exists

who the fuck dosnt know the kinds of beer that exists
  • minnimee85%s's Photo
    One word. Yeungling.

And MA--red or white?

One word. Yeungling.

And MA--red or white?

Definitely white. I work in a BYOB 4-star restaurant(job 2 of 3), so we get to have whatever's left over from the people's bottles at the end of the night, and it's usually ridiculously good and expensive shit. Some of the more expensive reds, like the $200 bottle I had some of tonight, are just too strong and acidic for my tastes.

Tried some Dom Perignon once. Best alcohol I've ever tasted.

Edit:After re-reading this, it makes me look like a wine snob... I'm a low class drinker like everyone else in my age group. I probably wouldn't drink wine at all if I werent getting ti for free.

Edited by Midnight Aurora, 12 October 2008 - 09:47 PM.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading