Music Forum / Oppinions please

• SSSammy%s's Photo
    im doing GCSE music atm, and i have a rather large, 12 month assignment right now, im very dissapointed to find people in my muci class doing 12 bar blues for their peice, what a fucking cop-out.

anyway, back to the point, i have several ideas, most of which are already in the piece, which is shaping up rather well.

my problem is now, i have got to the middle section, i have too many ideas for this part, far too many.
    im hoping there are some musicall masterminds in here that can give me some tips with this.

this is the first idea here, there will be many more.

so here it is;

Yeah, site stolen from In:Cities. :lol:

it sounds alot like space dementia, but not enough to be stealing, but inough to be influenced ;)
    i love loopholes.

i am shoyt at piano aswell.
    i dont deny it.

any comments apreiciated.

Edited by SSSammy, 14 June 2009 - 01:19 PM.

• Ride6%s's Photo
    The space dementia thing is very obvious... This is the intro section I assume? So the middle would follow this? Given the obvious Muse-ness of it a loud section that really rocks it out is the 'normal' course of action. I would suggest something different though, maybe a cadence switch to parallel (or relative, whichever you're more comfortable working with) major and use some suspensions and major 7ths (major 7ths are beautifully tragic) as to change the mood.

Also, what instruments are you allowed? Because changing to a more direct rhythm in the middle and adding some nice punchy drumming would really drive it home. For the final section something more like the end of Citizen Erased would probably be right up your ally... Sweeping atmospherics, lots of reverb.

Ride6
  • Nokia%s's Photo
    aside from the tempo, and the couple of mess ups its not that bad.
    and you didn't steal the site from in:cities, everyone [that i know] uses purevolume or myspace.

and opinion*

Edited by Nokia, 14 June 2009 - 01:53 PM.

• SSSammy%s's Photo
    i use both ;P

ride6, thankyou, i was hoping on an answer like that :D
    abit more info,
    at school we have the music composing software sibelius 5
    its good, but it isnt half a pain in the arse.
    the sound cards in the computers are abysmal, the electric guitar sounds like a really high old hammond organ.
    im not joking either.

you are aloud any instruments, and you can do whatever the hell you like, but the theme is special events, but you can write anything and say its for a special event. so thats cool. im doing some sorta dr who realted thing [/ubernerd]

i have already done 5/6 pages in a fortnight.
    i have this much because i started with this piano part, simple, but believe me, its one of the best things ie written. it is so so basic, but so driving. its backed up with a frettles bass guitar, and then drums, cellos, and violins join, and i love the next part. full of triplets on the violins. so this bit is 6 pages long, im still finalising the transition 8 bars, which feature alot of dissonance.
    (it sounds good when you play it on the piano, but through sib. it sounds shit, and it makes exactly the same sound ....) so yeah.
    btw i dont mean to be arrogant in any way, im very passionate about music.

the spacedementia-ish part comes towards the end, in the mean tme, there is what would be a piano concerto-ey part, but i need to sort out my left and right hand playing. before i can do the 2 hand arpeggios i want. cause i cant just put music in, i have to play it first. not a rule, just a preferance.

ill put up some other parts tommorrow.
  • In:Cities%s's Photo
    lol nahh dude, you didnt steal this site from me at all
    haha purevolume is very widely used:]

but as for the song, i like it a lot man.
    piano can be hard if you dont play it constantly, and although i've played since i was 5, i havent played much in the past 3 years or so, so i struggle with a lot of tempo and chord structure problems now lol.
    so i get where you're coming from when you say you're not too great at the keys.
    you're much much better than most, and keep working at them, it'll all get smooother:]]

but yeah, aside from the several tempo mess ups as stated before, as long as its properly orchestrated, its going to sound really really good:]
    i love the idea of adding ambient effects and an atmosphere of pads and stuff underneath something like this as well.
    anyways, good luck dude, i'm looking forward to hearing this whole thing when you finish.

maybe in the future we can work on a bit of music together or something:]
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    you know, that would be awesome. :)

thanks for the complimente s swellllll :)
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    Hello, universe.

Take a listen to improvisation please

its not my music coursework, but hey.
    just me screwing about on a clean guitar.
    i picked the guitar up , hit record, and addaoted to where my fingers ended up.
    brilliant fun.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    As far as coursework23 and coursework12 go, there's no meat to it. There's a pattern that you just run down a scale and back up. Which can be used and is used by a lot of great musicians, but it can only hold your attention for so long. I should hope that in 12 months you can learn some chord leading and some standard chord progressions, so use some of it.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    gawsh MA, im not a noob.:p
    its already 6mins long without this stuff.
    ill be able to work on it at home now so maybe i can record it and upload it.
    thanks for youre input though.:)
    hey man, i just gave the improvisation thing a listen:]

i used to record tons of little improvisations like this all the time also lol.
    its fun:]
    a tip for you would be to play a little bit more confidently you know?
    the bit at the beginning sounded good, but it just seemed like you were sortof scared to play it lol.
    i know its just improvisition, but you have to be confident in your improvising skills and just have at it!
    if you mess up, you mess up, it'll only make you better man.
    another thing you may want to focus on would be your smoothness.
    i noticed some of your bends were a litttle bit off at times.
    thats not necessarily a bad thing, depending on what you're going for though lol.

i like it man, keep it up!

josh
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    hey again,
    heres some badly played and recorded (as usual) coursework ideas, now i kinda like this one.
    hopefully the message has come across through my aweful playing, and my fatigue.
    im making no excuses, im shite.
    anyway, hopefully MA will like this one a little better as theres no descending chromatic scales :p

Attached Files

not bad man:]

it gets a bit repetitive, and sloppy at times, but i like it lol.

it sounds a lot better than your previous recordings, and is very relaxing.
    you didnt mess up in it too much, which is always a good thing.

haha dang dude, after hearing this, it really makes me realize that i need to get back to playing the piano again.
    i havent played in forever lol.

nice job though sam:]
  • Timothy Cross%s's Photo
    Stop trying to "learn". Cause you suck.

Write your own rules.

SLAUGHTER THE SAFETY.

fukn drone.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    gee thanks tim.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    double post eff tee double U.

anyhoo, thanks alot In:cities, i didnt see your comment there, here is a less sloppy version for those who cannot cope with my terrible 2 in the morning recordings.

i might use this part to finish the whole thing on a quite note, after the agressive opening parts im working on at the moment.

thanks all.

Attached Files

• Timothy Cross%s's Photo
    I expected a worse rebuttal this morning, sammy. Though i am sorry for what i posted last night, even though you insulted me like a man with a rotting heart elsewhere. Kinda like that ugly, ugly EQ of a robot, JDP.

Let me say this instead: You seem early in your stages of music, but because of the love and passion you've shown for it; I believe you're going to get very good. You've got great potential.

Now insult me again if you wish because you've chosen me as an enemy. Though you are not mine. Besides, flames are funny, unless they're from JDP, cause he makes me want to vomit for the fact that someone is that ugly inside. Though you are not, sammy. Keep rockn'
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    bump.

i was wondering if i could get a little more feedback please?
    i just find it really useful to find out what more expeirienced people think, and maybe see what its like from another viewpoint.

taa
  • Splitvision%s's Photo
    From a technical point of view, this is very simple, and you do need to work on your overall guitar playing, but still, it's easy to tell that you have better musical talent and more creativity than 99 % of the kids (sorry :p) your age. Also, if you want to record your musical ideas while being technically limited, MIDI is a good solution. I use it all the time, even though I can play the guitar parts, because I don't have any decent recording gear 8@ That way you can add drums/base/whatever instrument you can't play. Of course, MIDI takes away much emotion, but just to get your ideas down, it's great, atleast for me. So download a good MIDI sequencer program, arrange your songs/ideas, and whenever you are not doing this, practice your guitar/piano chops! Of course, when you feel that you can somewhat nail a section of a song actually playing guitar/piano, you go right ahead and record that and remove the MIDI track. Of course, this is only my opinion and way of doing it, but for me, it works great.

SV

Edited by Splitvision, 07 August 2009 - 06:54 PM.

hey man, i completely forgot you had another track lol.

but yeah, i just gave it a listen, and it sounds pretty good!
    i mean, there are some parts in which you messed up on tempo and hit the wrong notes, but overall, i liked it very much.

one suggestion that you should really look into would be to practice playing that with a metronome or a click track.
    judging from your song, i'm guessing it should be in the 175-180 bpm range, so if you dont have a metronome, just google for an online one, and it should work nicely.

i know playing with click tracks can be super boring and tedious, but they really do help a lot dude.
    i mean, thats all i did when i was learning guitar, and now, i very very rarely get off tempo at all.
    its a huge help man.
    so if you choose to take any of my advice, make it be this bit lol.
    use a metronome sammy!:]
    it really helps!
    :D
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    hey incities, i can keep time fine *evils*

haha, its just that i am bad at piano, and i always have to play the whole thing, even with the metronome, id find the next beat.

and Splitvision: the actual music coursework has to be handed in in MIDI form, on sibelius, but i much prefer to actually play what i write, not just hear it. gay that way.

nyhoo, heres some stuff, i dont know why i play so badly when im recording :S its not nerves, casue i play my piano through msn all the time to people who are listening live. (what a shit gig :lol: )
    i think its cause its moire easily forgiven live...

Attached Files

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading