Music Forum / My music

• Lloyd%s's Photo
    Yo.

Myth Of Atlantis (CLICK ME)

Hardcore/Post Hardcore/Screamo

Track is just a demo, drums are temp and will be re-done.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    yep, added you.
    you want to know what i do when i hear screamo tracks?
    no? oh well.
    i block out the screaming, and listen to the music.
    cause 9/10 times the music is good, like a gazzillion times better than the screaming.

thanks god this was part of that 90%
    noyce.
  • Lloyd%s's Photo
    Wicked, thanks.

Just curious, how come you don't like that vocal style?
  • ACEfanatic02%s's Photo

Wicked, thanks.

Just curious, how come you don't like that vocal style?

To me, it's a bit like using an instrument to play only one note.

Screaming can be a good vocal technique, but I feel it only works well when it's mixed in with other dynamics. (Think in terms of drummer going from hi-hat to cymbal, guitar going from riffs to chords, etc.) If it's used for emphasis, it works really well. If the entire song is screamed, it's just plain annoying.

Just my thoughts on it.

-ACE

EDIT - just to be clear, I did listen, and did like. Just not the vocals. (Or drums, for that matter. But the guitar was good.)

Edited by ACEfanatic02, 28 June 2009 - 07:06 PM.

• Top Gun%s's Photo
    That demo has potential. What do you do in the band?
  • Nokia%s's Photo
    hm, you guys are good.
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    this is neither hardcore, post-hardcore, nor screamo. try again.
  • Lloyd%s's Photo

That demo has potential. What do you do in the band?

Thanks, i play guitar. I did vocals on that track but i'm not the vocalist. This is such a rough recording.

hm, you guys are good.

Thanks, man.

this is neither hardcore, post-hardcore, nor screamo. try again.

So we invented our own genre? Awesome, thanks. But on a serious note we're inspired by hardcore/post hardcore bands, so that's the sound we're likely to create. There will be clean vocal parts, and the drums are only temporary, as we don't have a drummer right now, so they will change completely which will alter the feel of the song.
  • zodiac%s's Photo
    it's kind of... bland.

the screamo sound like this has been so strung out. right now, there really isn't much to differenciate it from anything by Sky Eats Airplane, The Devil Wears Prada, A Skylit Drive, etc. i think it needs something to make it different, to make it its own sound. the musicianship is there, and you guys sound really talented, you just need to show it.
  • In:Cities%s's Photo
    hey dude, i would have commented this sooner, but my internets still down at my house:/
    i'm at my friends house now lol.
    but we gave it a listen though:]
    i mean, its not horrible, but it just seemed to lack originality and creativity in my opinion.
    its not bad music, its just kindof bland for my preference.
    but like you said, with a good drummer and clean vocals, this could turn in to some really nice stuff man:]
    keep making musica, i love to hear new stuff:D
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    I don't think you really know what hardcore or post-hardcore is, let alone screamo.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    meet tracid, King of Genre.
  • gir%s's Photo
    I'm sorry I just don't understand why people think screaming is an acceptable form of vocals. It sounds awful to me, but the music is okay I guess. I can't really get past the screaming though.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    ^kinda what i meant but more brutally :lol:
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

meet tracid, King of Genre.

It could also be possible that he listens to hardcore, post-hardcore, and screamo and therefor knows what it is.
  • Lloyd%s's Photo

I don't think you really know what hardcore or post-hardcore is, let alone screamo.

Dude, do you always have that stick up your ass? Come on man, it's been like, what, 3 years now? Time to drop the angry charade.

I listen to bands that class themselves as 'hardcore/post hardcore/screamo' at this moment. Just because the genre has evolved over the years doesn't mean this music isn't that particular genre. The genre is highly irrelevant anyway, it is only to give people a basic idea of what to expect.

But i appreciate you checking out the music anyway, thanks.
  • Lloyd%s's Photo

I'm sorry I just don't understand why people think screaming is an acceptable form of vocals. It sounds awful to me, but the music is okay I guess. I can't really get past the screaming though.

Thanks for commenting.

I would just like to offer my opinion on this subject, which clearly a lot of people seem to agree with.

'Screaming', as it is known (which is strange, because it's the complete opposite of screaming), is a skill. Yes, really, it is a respected vocal technique. Just like singing. Can you 'scream'? Chances are, you can't, a long with a lot of other people. Sure, you could try, and tear your vocal chords to shreds, but that is NOT the correct vocal technique.

As for why it is so commonly used;

Music is a language, a form of communication, a way of saying how you feel, spreading what you believe in. I find personally, the most powerful and moving way of doing that is by using this vocal style. It's all personal preference, and it's really narrow minded to say stuff like "I just don't understand why people think screaming is an acceptable form of vocals".

But whatever, the 'alternate' music scene is growing rapidly anyway.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

'Screaming', as it is known (which is strange, because it's the complete opposite of screaming)

That's Tracid's point. You're not screaming, it's not screamo.
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    Listen. I don't have a stick up my ass. I know what hardcore, post-hardcore, and screamo all are. What your band is is none of those things. Those bands that you listen to that label themselves as hardcore, post-hardcore, and screamo are also wrong. If you'd like to know what that music sounds like, welp

hardcore
    post-hardcore
    screamo

These are just examples but you get the idea. To be honest I'd more classify your band as something like mosh-core or some bastardization of metalcore but whatever. I suggest you look into bands that are actually hardcore or actually screamo, there's a lot of good music there.
  • gir%s's Photo
    I don't really care that I can't scream or even sing for that matter, that's not the point. This screaming style of vocals is both distracting and forced, and that's why I disapprove of it. It seriously disrupts the flow of the song and it's a callous impersonation of human emotion. Whatever, maybe that's why you like it so much. That's art I guess.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading