Music Forum / Letting Go

• Ride6%s's Photo
    I figured since there's been a lot of discussion about our own music these days I'd post a song I recently put together... The summer has seen a lot crazy shit and this song more or less chews it up and spits it out.

In terms of guitar and vocal approach it's mainly Red House Painters inspired, with a bit of My Bloody Valentine for good measure.

Enjoy! (and comment?)

Ride6

Attached Files

• SSSammy%s's Photo
    instantly, the vocals need to be slightly quiter, and probably with echo on or reverb.
    the guitar was ever so slightly out of tune (i know you were using a whammy, but even so ;) ).
    towards the end the vocals started getting more interesting, i can instantly tell that (as with alot of people) the vocals (is it you) get stronger the more effort they put in, you arent really a quite singer ;)

the guitar was fun to listen to, but after the long time it starts getting just a little repetative, the part in the middle broke it up nicely, but i still think it needed a little more "spicing up".

hope you find this usefull
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    I don't know much about proper recording or mixing technique, so I'm just going to comment on the songwriting and performance. I'd echo SSSammy's comment about the guitar getting a little repetitive by the end, but from what I've heard of Red House Painters I take it that was a stylistic touch. And it does set a certain mood. I like when the fuzz comes in the first time, without any vocals, and then it gets quiet again. That's like a little foreshadowing moment. Very cool. And I like the singing. There's places where it's a little out of tune with the song, but it feels appropriate and it certainly comes across as genuine. It's kind of cliche to sing a broken-hearted song in perfect tune anyway isn't it?

I've noticed that I tend to alternate between phases with the songs I've recorded. First I really like them and I'm excited. Then I play them back again and they sound terrible. I almost want to delete them and start over. Then a couple days later I listen again and think it's actually not bad. And so it goes back and forth. Especially with a song like this which is pretty quiet and confessional. There's not much to hide behind.

PS - How long have we been able to attach files to posts at NE? I've got a couple of recordings I can post but I didn't want to mess with finding some place to host them.
  • Steve%s's Photo
    I enjoy the way the song is laid out. The distorted heavy guitar coming in really catches me, but I can't say the biggest fan of the tone of that guitar (then again, I'm not a huge Red House Painters fan). Though, I think the vocals are quite well done, possibly a little more up front than I'd like, but they are solid for the most part. Is the song finished up? If not I'd like to see some bass/drums/whatever tossed in the mix. I can see this standing on its own the way it is, though. I agree with Ed that it does have a certain kind of mood about it, which I love.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    There are supposed to be drums starting at the first loud part... If I can find a good way to either simulate or record a hammond like organ sound I'd really like to put one of those in as well. I have a lot of ideas in the department of changing up the loud guitar... The main guitar throughout is going to stay as is, though I'll be sure to re-tune between takes each time when I'm doing the final. This is more of a demo than anything since I can't do drums currently...

Thanks for the feedback Sam, Ed, and Steve. :D

Ride6

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading