General Chat / Disney acquires Marvel Entertainment for $4 billion

• RCTNW%s's Photo
    Looks like Disney just pulled of a big deal in acquiring Marvel Entertainment. Will be interesting to see what happeds to Universal when the current licensing deal expires.

The only thing I hope is that they DON't include Marvel into either of the MK's. It would be so wrong IMO.

You can read more about it here

James
  • Lowenaldo%s's Photo
    hm....................

marvel is the comic book people correct?
  • RCTNW%s's Photo
    Yes it is - Ironman, Spiderman, The Hulk, etc
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    AND XMEN

im an x men nerd.

i am suprised at the deal.
    wierd combo.
  • Todd Lee%s's Photo
    If Disney morphs any of their parks into comic book parks, it will be the end of them.
  • J K%s's Photo
    Yeah Iys quite confusing to me. This could be make or break for them in my opinion but it definitely seems disney wanna take a brand and murder it by a load of darkrides or cinematic experiences.

The magic thing about the marvel chain in Universal Studios were the actual coasters were thrilling and well branded, well to some extent.
  • Wolfman%s's Photo
    Crap! RCTNW beat me to it by about an hour and scooped the story before me.

DAMM YOU
    BREAKFAST!
    :mad:
    "Most important meal of the day"
    MY AX!

LOL!
    :lol:

Anyway, I was wondering about the exact same thing, (about the link between Marvel and Universal Studios.) Since a contract is leagally binding, Disney will have to repect the contracts created in Marvel's past. Even Disney has to obey the law.

Still...

Let me know if the Amazing Spiderman in 3-D ever hits Ebay.
  • FullMetal%s's Photo
    Wow! Now we can look foreward to some new movies such as:

-Snow White and the Seven X-Men
    ~or~
    -Beauty and the Iron Man

And we'll see the introduction of some great arcade games like Disney vs. DC! (Looks like you're going to have to make a change to one of your parks, Kumba!)

But, lame joking aside, I don't really care. As long as they don't fuck with Kingdom Hearts, I'm fine. I really don't want to see Sora, Kairi, Riku, and Mickey in the the same boat as the Fantastic Four. Or any other super hero(s).
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    ^Or just Beauty and the Beast. You know, the one from the X-Men
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

But, lame joking aside, I don't really care. As long as they don't fuck with Kingdom Hearts, I'm fine. I really don't want to see Sora, Kairi, Riku, and Mickey in the the same boat as the Fantastic Four. Or any other super hero(s).

Actually, they should do just that, if only to piss of KF fans.

I'm not excited about this. No, I don't think it's a bad thing, but I really don't care about Marvel, or Disney (besides the parks, love the parks) to be frank.
  • Jaguar%s's Photo
    I do think magic kingdom needs more coasters and more adventure rides, so I'll be looking forward to hearing more, though I'm more of a geek for DC, as I am a fan of batman.
  • Comet%s's Photo
    I hope this is more for their film industry then their Theme Park industry
  • Jaguar%s's Photo

~or~
    -Beauty and the Iron Man

And we'll see the introduction of some great arcade games like Disney vs. DC! (Looks like you're going to have to make a change to one of your parks, Kumba!)

Yeah, I like the marvel vs dc books and games. Well, I doubt they will mess with kingdom hearts, because it only has classic disney characters, not any shitty new disney things ever since micheal eisner quit.
  • Lowenaldo%s's Photo
    comics= lame
  • J K%s's Photo

~or~
    -Beauty and the Iron Man

Lmfao this made me laugh. i don't see how disney are going to do this.

If they fuck with kingdom hearts I will have that mouses head on a platter.
  • Highball%s's Photo
    I'm not too worried about Disney putting Marvel characters in their parks. If anything, they'll probably pop up at the Studios at some point, but that won't be until Marvel's deal with Universal expires God knows when. I personally don't care for this buyout because 1) Marvel and Disney just don't go together imo and 2) I'm a DC fan. It'll be interesting to see all the Disney and Uni websites explode with Marvel rumors now.

Edit: Nevermind, the rampant speculating has already begun.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo
    I do see some updates to the studios parks, seeing as they don't have very many rides and the best rides at those parks usually aren't from Disney franchises.
  • Wolfman%s's Photo
    Search Results for "Disney Marvel".

Excerpt: StarTribune.com...

General Electric Co.'s Universal Studios has an attraction called Marvel Super Hero Island in Orlando, Fla., that will stay in existence as long as Universal wants to keep it there and follows the contract terms, Universal said.

Disney said it will honor and re-examine Marvel's licensing deals upon expiration and may extend the profitable ones. Iger noted that when it bought Pixar, that company also had third-party licensing agreements that eventually expired, allowing the companies to move forward together.

Edited by Wolfman, 31 August 2009 - 06:18 PM.

• nin%s's Photo

I hope this is more for their film industry then their Theme Park industry

Yeah, that's what I figured.
  • Brent%s's Photo

comics= lame

Word.

I better not fucking see any Marvel shit at Disneyland...

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading