(Archive) Place-To-Release-Your-Parks Land / Steeplechase Park 1950

• Blackadder%s's Photo
    Steeplechase Park! The first Coney Island amusement park to be built and the last to be demolished. The fun-filled Pavilion, circled by the world famous Steeplechase Ride, entertained guests for more than half a century. Then in 1964 the lights went out for the last time, and the Pavilion and most of the rides were destroyed in an act of wanton cultural vandalism. All that remains is the nonfunctioning Parachute Jump - and memories.

This park recreation is based around the excellent recreation of the Steeplechase Ride and Pavilion of Fun by Steve Franks. It's no exaggeration to say I never would have attempted to make this park without the firm foundation provided by his superlative recreation of the Pavilion. I have made some significant changes in the Pavilion to reflect my interpretation of the sources; any errors should certainly reflect on me and not Mr. Franks. The remainder of the park is original. I used a lot of great scenery by a lot of great designers, but special credit has to go to Fisherman for the iconic "Tillie Faces" he made for me. Good sources for this park are pretty rare, so this recreation is 50% based on good photos, 25% based on poor or incomplete photos, and 25% pure moonshine. Somehow I think that balance captures the spirit of Steeplechase pretty well.

Overview of the park, boardwalk, pier, and crowded beach
    Posted Image

The Pavilion of Fun
    Posted Image

The grand entrance and colonnade on the Bowery
    Posted Image

The Surf Avenue entrance
    Posted Image

The Zips scenic railway
    Posted Image

The Old Mill
    Posted Image

The world class swimming pool
    Posted Image

The Parachute Jump
    Posted Image

The rear of the Pavilion on the boardwalk.jpg
    Posted Image

The beautiful Sunken Gardens
    Posted Image

The whole family can enjoy the Flying Coaster
    Posted Image

All aboard the Steeplechase Express
    Posted Image

The download is available at Steeplechase 1950.

Enjoy!
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    that face is fucking terrifying.
  • Blackadder%s's Photo
    My wife said the same thing when I was testing the park. :lol:

That's what the real Steeplechase logo looked like.

Posted Image

Edited by Blackadder, 08 October 2009 - 09:48 PM.

• Howl%s's Photo
    Reeeeeeeeally cool park, though I'd change the checkboard tiles in the pool to a hacked underwater path, it will look better.
  • posix%s's Photo
    heh, the face freaks me out, too.

screens are nice and actually finished for a change. yet maybe just a little too 'standard' in execution.
  • Blackadder%s's Photo

Reeeeeeeeally cool park, though I'd change the checkboard tiles in the pool to a hacked underwater path, it will look better.

I'll have to keep that in mind for my next pool. Can 8 Cars do that?

heh, the face freaks me out, too.

screens are nice and actually finished for a change. yet maybe just a little too 'standard' in execution.

Yeah, my parks are probably a little cartoonish for New Element. That's just my style, I guess. :(

Certainly I welcome any suggestions for improvement. ;)

Edited by Blackadder, 09 October 2009 - 09:07 AM.

• JDP%s's Photo
    Lmfao. This is the park Renaview Bay Park was based off of.
    Obviously not to a tee since I change the theme but the basic concept.
    -JDP
  • olddtfan51%s's Photo
    This is without doubt one of the nicest park recreation i have seen in awhile you have really captured the feeling of being there it takes alot of skill to recreate a park that no longer around i love this park i always did like older parks and this one is no exception. :mantis:
  • Blackadder%s's Photo

Lmfao. This is the park Renaview Bay Park was based off of.
    Obviously not to a tee since I change the theme but the basic concept.
    -JDP

I'll have to check that one out. :) Originally I was actually doing a Steeplechase knockoff called "Daffy Downs," but then I decided to just go for it and do a full scale recreation. :lol:

This is without doubt one of the nicest park recreation i have seen in awhile you have really captured the feeling of being there it takes alot of skill to recreate a park that no longer around i love this park i always did like older parks and this one is no exception. :mantis:

Thanks! Glad you liked it. :) There isn't a whole lot of great material on this park, so I tried my best to recreate what I could find good pictures of (like the gardens, the colonnade, the pool, the Pavilion, and the Parachute Jump) and the rest is guesswork and BS. But I do think it has the "feel" of Steeplechase.

Edited by Blackadder, 09 October 2009 - 01:27 PM.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading