General Chat / The Art Department

• 5dave%s's Photo
    Posted Image
    Posted Image
    Posted Image
    Posted Image

A few sketches I made for a drawing course at uni. Not too happy with most of them, but meh...

and some more...

"MFG"
  • WhosLeon%s's Photo
    That's absolutely wonderful.
  • render8%s's Photo
    Hey 5dave, those actually do like pretty good. Lots of good little details, especially in that last one. Took a look at the link you gave and really liked all those other drawings too. It's like you have your own unique style to your drawings. :)
  • 5dave%s's Photo
    Thanks guys!
    I wished my drawings were more clean instead of adding so many details, haha.

"MFG"
  • render8%s's Photo
    Removed.
  • oli414%s's Photo
    ^ What programs do you use to render and make your cs? And what are your settings for perfect isometric?
  • render8%s's Photo
    ^ There's actually a few programs I use for different things, but I generally use Google Sketchup for drafting quick designs and then 3D Max for detailing and rendering. I also use Photoshop for bitmap editing before finalizing the images.

Honestly, as far as perfect isometric goes, there's really no one click setting for it. It was a boat load of moving the camera a bit at a time, rendering, and then putting into the object editor to make sure all edges lined up with the tiles. Serious trial and error. Then, once I got it lined up where I needed it, I made sure I saved that project multiple times to use as a starting point for future projects.

The lights were basically set at about a 90 degree angle from the main camera. Sometimes, I have to move them to depending how the final rendering looks.
  • render8%s's Photo
    Just some more 3D renderings I found while diggin' through my hard drive today.

This render is actually a combination of real life mixed with 3D. The black sports car is a 3D model I rendered then composited on to a background photo. It was actually a practice thing more than a serious project as I wanted to learn how to incorporate 3D renders into real life, or camera matching.

Posted Image

Then this one was a practice of modeling 3D grass and attempting to make a little bit of a yard.

Posted Image
  • inthemanual%s's Photo
    Are you kidding me? How long does this take you?
  • render8%s's Photo
    ^ LOL, just depends on the project. Some of these can take a few hours, some a few days, depending on the complexity and my motivation. These particular ones were a few hours, but it's been so long since I've done these. Of course, I've been doing 3D work for a few years now so things tend to flow a bit faster now, but in the beginning, I felt like giving up on several occasions. Glad you like them though, forgot I even had them still.

Edit - I actually have boat loads of renders I'd love to share here, but they're honestly not suitable for this environment, if you get my meaning.
  • Coupon%s's Photo
    bonkers!
  • render8%s's Photo
    Thanks coups. I've actually been a big time Poser user for several years too, as well 3D Max which is where I do all my renderings, but Poser has played a valuable tool in my workflow for some time. Not sure if anyone's familiar with Poser or not. Along the lines of Daz3D.
  • inthemanual%s's Photo
    Do you already have a bunch of lights, cameras, models and materials set up, and you just put things together, or can you do this from scratch in a couple hours? I can't imagine making something that looked like this even given a couple weeks.
  • render8%s's Photo
    ^ No, it's all done from a bare bone scene most of the time. The lights are pretty easy for me to setup now, after doing it for so long. The grass strands for example are modeled individually then I use what they call a proxy object to scatter them around. So I make one quick clump of grass, duplicate it as a proxy, which helps conserve on system resource, then scatter them hundreds of times. Then make a quick material, camera, some lighting, then render. Rendering can go about 30 minutes to an hour, sometimes faster, just depending on how many effects I use like depth of field on the camera, quality settings, etc..

The car scene for example though was a car model I already had that was premade, but I just basically retextured it, camera matched the car to the background photo, added in some environmet lights, and away it rendered.
  • sT1LL_WAnTeD%s's Photo
    here some recent tattoos i've done. i didnt create the design, the customer got it off of google and just copied that. tattoo for a living

Attached Files

• render8%s's Photo
    Here's a couple more 'friendly' type of renders I did some time ago. These were actually done using the app called Poser and rendered inside of 3D Studio Max. These are simple portrait type of renders that I did to work on trying to create more realistic human skin for characters and outdoor lighting. Basically, just practice renders. Hope no one minds these types of renders. If it's not safe for these here, I will gladly remove them upon request. :)/>/>/>

This is a wire render just showing the geometry of the model used.

Posted Image

Then the final with the skin and textures applied.

Posted Image

And then a different angle and edits with the same model.

Posted Image

Just another one I found. I'll try and keep it to the same post if I find anymore I would like to share.

This was just a simple portrait type of render I did trying to practice portrait lighting and creating a believable skin on human characters. I used a bit of Poser and Zbrush in this one for morphing the face a bit, if anyone's familiar with zbrush.

Posted Image

And yet another one. I actualy cropped this down as not offend anyone with showing too much body. they are fully clothed though even below lol. This was actually a render of two characters from a few months ago. This was done using poser, Zbrush, and 3D Studio Max.

Posted Image
  • render8%s's Photo

here some recent tattoos i've done. i didnt create the design, the customer got it off of google and just copied that. tattoo for a living

Nice work man :mantis:/> . I always love looking at fresh ink. Edit - Meant to ask how long it took from start to finish?
  • FK+Coastermind%s's Photo
    dude, the last rendering is amazing, only tell that it's not real life is the right eye, otherwise some fantastic work dude. Are you planning on doing this for a living?
  • render8%s's Photo

dude, the last rendering is amazing, only tell that it's not real life is the right eye, otherwise some fantastic work dude. Are you planning on doing this for a living?

Thanks so much. Actually, I have already done quite a bit of commission work for other people who wanted me to bring their characters to 3D. It's been a long time since I've done that, and it really wasn't anything I could have made a living off of, but for the most part, it's more of just a hobby and slight obsession lol.
  • sT1LL_WAnTeD%s's Photo

Nice work man :mantis:/>/>/> . I always love looking at fresh ink. Edit - Meant to ask how long it took from start to finish?

thanks man , greatly appreciate it. and that tattoo took probably around 3 hours. did it all in one session

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading