Music Forum / How has your musical taste 'changed' over time?

• Marshy%s's Photo
    Genre-wise, what were you into at first, and why?
    What songs changed your way about things?

I started out (when I started listening to music properley) listening to the Prodigy, I loved the mental rinse-outness of it all and heaviness. One of their songs called 'Voodoo People' was remixed by Pendulum and included on their greatest hits album, this got me into Drum and Bass. Listened to dnb for quite a good while (and still do) but alot of the releases had 'Dubstep' versions too, which got me listening to that (and still do). I found myself going on nights out with friends to places that played dance and electro, which got me bouncing, nowadays I'm all about House music, deep soulful grooves without being too loud.

Funny how I started out listening to heavy stuff like the prodigy and drum and bass and nowadays I can't listen to that stuff for too long without getting bored, I'm now listening to much more lighter dance and house music and enjoying repetitive beats etc.

Gooo
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    i loved green day and MCR, then i started listening to muse. nowadays im into early green day, muse, rhcp, the killers, block party etc... i dont really think i have a style that i like, i just like music i like.
  • Nokia%s's Photo
    pop - rap - alternative - now everything except country
  • In:Cities%s's Photo
    i just listen to music that sounds beautiful to me.
  • Wicksteed%s's Photo
    Nice topic. I grew up listening to Iron Maiden. Then I discovered the Backstreet Boys at the age of six, while still listening to Iron Maiden. Then like six years later I discovered Rage against the machine and got into that crossover kind of stuff. Then at 14 or so I discoverd prog (Dream Theater haha). And from there I went to see what else there is.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    My taste hasnt changed. I likes what I likes.
  • RRP%s's Photo
    My musical taste has definately grown with age although thats all because of the internet.There's so many artists/bands/producers/djs that id never have heard about without the internet since most of the time i don't hear them anywhere other than personally through headphones
  • turbin3%s's Photo
    First: Rap / Hip-Hop
    Now: Billy Talent, Muse, and so on. ;)
  • gir%s's Photo
    Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day.

Well embarrassingly enough I started out with the likes of Hanson. I owned Middle of Nowhere, Live From Albertane, and This Time Around--in retrospect they are not such a bad band. I also had Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears albums, oh well. Those were poor choices but it's a start. Probably late elementary/middle school I began listening to utter shit like Audioslave and Linkin Park. Sophomore year of high school was a big step for me and it began riding home from school with some of the kids in my neighborhood. Every day they tuned it to 88.1 WKNC (NC State's radio station) and requested Soul Meets Body right when school let out so it would be playing on the ride home. I was hooked, bought Plans, and I think almost everything I listen to now really stems from that experience, though I think I was already acquainted with The White Stripes, Ted Leo/RX, Modest Mouse and so on. My interest in classic rock really developed from car rides as well, specifically this one ride home from summer camp I believe, where The Who was playing all the way.

If I have time I might just have to go look at some of those awful mix CDs I made for car trips in the pre-mp3 player era.
  • inVersed%s's Photo
    Punk & Metal (6th grade)---> Mainstream Hip Hop (7-8th grade)---> Underground Hip-Hop (9-11th grade)---> Indie/Alternative/Electronic (12th grade)

Obviously there is some overlap... like I still like some rappers now that I used to like, but this is how the basics have changed
  • zodiac%s's Photo
    5th grade: really shitty.
    6th grade: still pretty shitty.
    7th grade: starting to evolve a good amount.
    8th grade: already a lot better.
    now: fantastic.
  • ACEfanatic02%s's Photo

utter shit like Audioslave

What.

I started out listening to hip-hop and rap. It was what my brother listened to, and it sounded better than the pop my sister listened to, so yeah. I didn't really care for music at the time, because that's all I'd really heard.

Then in high school I started listening to rock music. My sophomore English teacher brought in Dark Side of the Moon. The solo in Time is still one of my favorites. And from there the only "change" has been broader and broader tastes. I don't like all rock music, but I do like songs in just about any of the sub-genres.

-ACE
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    Audioslave was fine... They just had supergroup syndrome; which is to say that they were less than a sum of their parts. Still nothing I'd call even marginally close to bad... Revelations was lazy I guess... I know nothing about it really, only listened to their first two albums (Audioslave, Out of Exile) but whatever.

I listened to whatever random shit fell in my lap for a long time. Elementary -> Middle School that mostly meant stuff like 3 Doors Down (meh, their first album is meh, everything else is just worse and worse versions of the same), Everclear (not that bad even now imo), and Smash Mouth (lol, "retro") and slowly starting to defuse a taste for classic rock. I started listening to the radio and getting into music heavily around 8th grade or so and hit a real 'classic rock era' think where I listened to a lot of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Who, etc. and a lot of 90s stuff like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, etc.

By the middle of my sophomore year I started looking to the internet for what to listen to and ended up buying OK Computer (Radiohead) on the advice of several people both here and on other forums. My interest in new music was reborn and I've since dug up a lot of stuff in the indie, alternative, folky, electronic, jazzy, whatever, rock fields. The Flaming Lips, Coldplay, Muse, The Arcade Fire, Modest Mouse, Okkervil River, Neutral Milk Hotel, etc followed. Some off-the-wall albums that are a bit rarer (Jupiter by Cave In, Emergency & I by the Dismemberment Plan, Mirrored by Battles) found places in my listening. I also started broadening a bit, picking up some jazz (Bitches Brew), dancy electronic stuff (Daft Punk), Trip Hop (Portishead), etc. So now I kinda a listen to a jumble of stuff that's just in the margins of pop music. I used to think what I was listening to was weird or something, but really I think it's just the kind of stuff that could be exceptionally popular if it was pushed anywhere near as hard as say Nickleback, U2, or Green Day (nothing against U2 really, they're just past their prime and when they were on they were ON and Green Day is fine when they're not trying to think too hard.

Anywho... Basically I went through three stages: Ignorance -> Classic Rock -> simi-enlightenment. I like a lot of music, but love significantly less.

Ride6
  • Splitvision%s's Photo
    I've taken a bit of an odd turn lately, from focusing almost solely on progressive rock such as dream theater and rush, to 80's synth pop... Thomas Dolby <3 But I guess I've "widened" my tastes alot lately.
  • ahank%s's Photo
    ho boy. ive had a lot of musical tastes.

90's punk/rap -> only rap -> alternative -> pop rock -> emo -> 80's

nowadays i listen too any women who can actually sing, screamo, and classic rock.
    ^ what kind of 'screamo' do you listen to?

like, AP magazine type music?
  • Ride6%s's Photo

nowadays i listen too any women who can actually sing

???

Ride6
  • Top Gun%s's Photo
    I started out listening to mostly mainstream poppy stuff. Eventually I started listening to Creed which is where I really got into rock music, after that I started listening to a band named Thousand Foot Krutch which is a Christian rock band. I actually told myself I would never listen to bands that do nothing but scream but it grew on me somehow. I think the first Hardcore song that got me hooked was Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste by Norma Jean.

Don't get me wrong, I still listen to a broad spectrum of music, but hardcore is my favorite.
  • ahank%s's Photo

^ what kind of 'screamo' do you listen to?

like, AP magazine type music?

I listen to most screamo, but I really like The Devil Wears Prada, We Came As Romans, and A Day To Remember.

And, while I don't consider them as screamo, Emerosa is freaking great, if you listen to them.
    ^aha dude, i love emarosa.

i'm good friends with their old vocalist, Chris.
    he was in that band Agraceful, but they broke up, so now he started a new band called Like Moths to Flame.

they dont have any music up yet, but you can check them out on my band's myspace top friends. [link is in my signature]

lately i've been really trying to get away from the whole 'screamo' side of things though.
    while i still kindof like WCAR and TDWP, i dont ever listen to them anymore.
    i typically listen to mainly indie music at this point.
    (Owen, Thrice, City and Colour) as well as some amazing epic-ly beautiful music such as Weaver at the Loom and In Harbour.

but yeah man, my new band has a sound that you would most likely enjoy.
    we dont have any vocals yet, being that we're still in the search for a vocalist.
    but we've narrowed down the search to a few kids, and are in the studio now working on a new demo, so i'll definitely keep you posted.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading