Theme Park Discussion / Expedition GeForce derailed

• posix%s's Photo
    http://www.bild.de/B...k-hassloch.html

This saddens me very much as it's one of my favourite coasters ever. I've ridden it about 40 times and it always felt so safe ...
  • Six Frags%s's Photo
    So sad...

I also rode it like 40 times the day I was in Holiday Park.
    One of the best coasters I did. I hope they can fix it though.. Could you roughly translate it posix, I don't understand some things in that article..

SF
  • turbin3%s's Photo
    http://www.themepark...t...f=2&t=55050
    Here are some more pictures.
  • Cena%s's Photo
    I don't see why everyone is making such a huge deal out of it? This is only good for the themepark visitors. Because now nobody got killed, but the mechanics are awake again and go check it more often and take the security of the thing more important then they did before (if they weren't doing this already). As a visitor of the park / in the coaster you would be pretty in shock if it happened on your ride :p 
  • posix%s's Photo
    for german speaking members: http://onride.de/viewtopic.php?t=58269

this is so bad ...

someone who was there posted the train more or less came to a stop by itself because of one car being derailed, then didn't quite make it over the hill it was nearing and came to a complete stop.

last sunday, someone was there waiting on the boarding platform to get in when they halted the whole ride to check the wheels. supposedly there was one wheel where they stopped for a significantly longer while.

furthermore, the "tüv", germany's technical inspection association, known to be ridiculously strict, had just checked and approved the ride's safety for the summer season.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    wow, what is it with intamins lately? They are all good safe rides but just seem to have bad things happen to them like Xceleretor's cable incident (and that just reopened to) and I thought Bizarro became Valleyed the other day (but that was likely atleast partially six flags fualt for running it on a cold windy day) Not to big of a deal though.

Anyone around here have any idea what the next step for this is? Lengthy investigation, lawsuits, testing, and maybe reopening probablly about next year or something?
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

I don't see why everyone is making such a huge deal out of it? This is only good for the themepark visitors. Because now nobody got killed, but the mechanics are awake again and go check it more often and take the security of the thing more important then they did before (if they weren't doing this already). As a visitor of the park / in the coaster you would be pretty in shock if it happened on your ride :p 

You don't see what people are making a big deal out of a coaster derailing?

O.O

It's a good thing no one died on the ride, but it IS a big deal when the safety of the riders are compromised. This is even after it passed inspections as posix stated. We can't just think "oh well that's good now they can double check and make it safer!"... Good mentality, but it doesn't change the fact that Expedition GForce, one of the most beloved coasters in the world, just had a major accident where passengers were INJURED while riding.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Nothing is 100% safe. Accidents happen. Sad, but unavoidable...
  • Cena%s's Photo

You don't see what people are making a big deal out of a coaster derailing?

O.O

It's a good thing no one died on the ride, but it IS a big deal when the safety of the riders are compromised. This is even after it passed inspections as posix stated. We can't just think "oh well that's good now they can double check and make it safer!"... Good mentality, but it doesn't change the fact that Expedition GForce, one of the most beloved coasters in the world, just had a major accident where passengers were INJURED while riding.

Apparently you are an hypocrite for thinking that every machine is safe, well, if you believe that you have to be stupid... And so is more then 95% of the world. Machines are built by human and therefore it's not the question 'if it fails' but 'when it fails'. Quite often machines look okay from the outside, but the metal is weakened from the inside, mechanics don't see it / can't repair it. If it finally crashes, then this would be almost the perfect situation for it; only a few people with injuries but no people that got killed, I would say, that is pretty good for an accident. And now I am sure they are going to check the entire ride + renew a lot of parts, which in the end would make the ride more safer then it was before the crash. 

Maybe I think different on this, but that is probably due to my high interest in machines & materials. 

About passengers being injured, to me that isn't a huge deal ... What would they prefer? A broken arm or leg which keeps you away from activity for 6 - 8 weeks, or being killed? Well, you can answer that I think ... 
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    cena, shut up, you're barking at some sort of floodlight as opposed to the tree we're talking about.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

About passengers being injured, to me that isn't a huge deal ... What would they prefer? A broken arm or leg which keeps you away from activity for 6 - 8 weeks, or being killed? Well, you can answer that I think ... 

Personally, I'd rather not be injured on a ride that is supposedly inspected as thoroughly as this one. Which, I'd imagine is the same reason other people are upset about it, since you don't understand.
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo
    Cena

True, machines are human made and therefore not 100% safe. Any rollercoaster can derail at anytime. We take that risk in riding them, but we also risk our lives in driving our car and using an oven and etc. It's not about "when" these machines are going to fail- we have to do our very best to make it safe to use them. THAT is why people are making a big deal: rollercoasters' main purpose is to entertain the riders, and they are considered to be VERY safe vs. many other machines (inspections, quality control, strong materials, etc.). Such a safe machine failing is what gets people up in arms about it.
    MA said it right:
    "Personally, I'd rather not be injured on a ride that is supposedly inspected as thoroughly as this one. Which, I'd imagine is the same reason other people are upset about it, since you don't understand."

Also, Cena, don't call me a hypocrite. I don't like the tone of your posts, and frankly, I don't think anyone else does either. Go ahead and state your opinions, but do so nicely. Being rude and hostile doesn't help you at all.
  • Cena%s's Photo

Cena

True, machines are human made and therefore not 100% safe. Any rollercoaster can derail at anytime. We take that risk in riding them, but we also risk our lives in driving our car and using an oven and etc. It's not about "when" these machines are going to fail- we have to do our very best to make it safe to use them. THAT is why people are making a big deal: rollercoasters' main purpose is to entertain the riders, and they are considered to be VERY safe vs. many other machines (inspections, quality control, strong materials, etc.). Such a safe machine failing is what gets people up in arms about it.
    MA said it right:
    "Personally, I'd rather not be injured on a ride that is supposedly inspected as thoroughly as this one. Which, I'd imagine is the same reason other people are upset about it, since you don't understand."

Also, Cena, don't call me a hypocrite. I don't like the tone of your posts, and frankly, I don't think anyone else does either. Go ahead and state your opinions, but do so nicely. Being rude and hostile doesn't help you at all.

Point taken on the rollercoasters, for your last lines, see my signature. 
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    oh shut up goddamnit.
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    Play Nice SSSammy... :p

This sucks. Am hoping to take a visit later this year. Any news on this? is it down for the forseeable future?
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    it still is down for maintenance...
    there is no up-to-date information, although I doubt it will go up again until later this season. maybe they'll try to get it working again for the german holiday season, which starts in july this year.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading