Theme Park Discussion / An East-Coaster Goes West: Cali'2010

• coasterfreak101%s's Photo
    Between graduation at the end of May and the premiere of Toy Story 3 last Friday, my childhood has come to an end. But, in true T.Hops. style, I closed that chapter of my life with a bang. Long story short, my mother is one of the best people to ever grace this planet (on par with Rod Serling, but a tier below Lady GaGa), and for my graduation she flew the two of us out to California for a week of hardcore coaster-riding. Not necessarily her idea of a vacation, per se, but most definitely mine!

Quick summary: the trip was a total success. I stepped in the Pacific Ocean, saw the Hollywood sign, sat through hours of L.A. traffic, rode almost forty new coasters, and came home with 600 pictures. And my mother lived through it all, which is a pretty big success. But without further adieu, let's begin!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day One: Pacific Park & Santa Monica - 6/5/10
    aka People Who Wear Sweaters in 75* Weather But Jump in the Freezing Pacific Ocean.
    Posted Image
    To start things off, I'm thinking that the plane should have touched down right here. The ocean is a lot more pleasant than the tree-killing, carbon-emitting L.A. traffic and the bitter taste of not meeting Miley Cyrus in LAX.

Posted Image
    But who cares what Tyler wants, right? These people do. It's like those Windows7 commercials with the funny French girls saying how it was totally their idea.

Posted Image
    My name is Tyler Hopkins, I'm an enthusiast, and the roller-coaster-on-the-ocean was my idea. Thanks, Santa Monica, for making my dream come true.

Posted Image
    See? My mom and I are both super happy that we're about to ride a roller coaster over the ocean. Inside, we're really upset that we couldn't find Sam and Addison's (from Private Practice) houses next to the pier. Trip disappointment #1.

Posted Image
    These people are getting a little pop of airtime that you'd never expect to come out of something coasting along at ten miles per hour. Wave!

Posted Image
    Now I say it's time to tame this beast! But before we do, could somebody explain why the wall/roof on the swinging ship is necessary? It's quite ugly, and I've never seen a dragon made like that before.

Posted Image
    Here's an idea: Let's ride a roller coaster. Awesome. I'd say right about now, the three teenagers working their new summer job are chewing their gum real loud while they pretend to care about your safety. Cool!

Posted Image
    And now we're coming out of our seats a bit, then a lot, then making a nice turn back to the station. Lather, rinse, repeat. Ride over, kthxbye.

Posted Image
    Here comes a series of pictures that all look pretty similar, but are each just as necessary as the last. Had each and every one not been taken, I would not be a true tourist.

Posted Image
    Zoooooom.

Posted Image
    Zoooom.

Posted Image
    Zoom. All done. Next stop: Six Flags Magic Mountain, From the Sky!

Edited by coasterfreak101, 21 June 2010 - 08:45 PM.

Day Two: Six Flags Magic Mountain, From the Sky - 6/6/10
    aka Thank God for the Sky Tower's Air Conditioning.
    Posted Image
    Alright, so let's just get it out in the open right now: I love X2. I've never found myself legitimately scared and/or confused on a roller coaster until now. Ever.

Posted Image
    Basically, it's just a lot happening to your body all at once. You hit your head a few times on the pads behind you, which probably just adds to the delirium and wonder which is this fantastic roller coaster.

Posted Image
    Ignoring Viper, because it's really quite ignorable, let's skip to the park's other superstar, Tatsu! My mother hates prolonged positive G's, but hot damn, that pretzel loop is ridiculously fantastic.

Posted Image
    And another shot of it, because it makes me happy. Really happy. It's just a fantastic ride. Floaty first half, whippy second half, plus that pretzel-loop-straight-out-of-heaven. God's favorite element is the pretzel loop, definitely.

Posted Image
    We ended up not getting on the rapids. Shame. But we did get on Tatsu, which makes up for it quite well!

Posted Image
    Oh, one more superstar here: Terminator! Cute lil' Termie, all deceivingly small. Oh, but you have a crazy ride in store, don't you? Yes you do! You're just a little out-of-control monster!

Posted Image
    Deja Vu is fun and all, yeah, but Terminator is fantastic. No time to breathe from half a second off the chain to the brakes at the end. And with how wet I got from the misters, I'd call it an Aquatrax, no doubt.

Posted Image
    Everybody say hey to the sun, I guess. Or bye, I'd really prefer that it wasn't chillin' in my picture here. Rude.

Posted Image
    Riddler's Revenge was fun, minus the part on our first ride where one of my lil' fellas got a little squished. But, secretly, I love B&M stand-ups. And dive loops. And this ride has two of those.

Posted Image
    I'll go ahead and claim that this little colored-lighting thing going on was totally on purpose. I think it symbolizes the light from Batman and the evil from the Riddler ready to scrap. Maybe.

Posted Image
    Quick note: It seems silly to me that you have to circle around and cross a bridge just to get to X2. Is there a particular reason for that layout? Seems to me like some stairs to the left would have done the job.

Posted Image
    I'm rapidly running out of captions, so I'll give a little explanation as to why half of them are probably bad. I write these things when I'm tired. End of story.

Posted Image
    Arrow corner. One ride is photogenic but sucks, and the other is hard to photograph but rocks my socks off. Take a wild guess as to which is which.

Posted Image
    Aaand now let's play that zoom game again to close this thing out. Zoomed all the way in! Colossus doesn't look so colossus now, does it?

Posted Image
    Zoomed a little out, givin' Superman some lovin' like Lois Lane on a hot, humid summer day in Maryland!

Posted Image
    Zoomed all the way out to show an area of the park with lots of coasters that aren't really very special. Minus Tatsu. Next stop: Knott's Berry Farm!

Edited by coasterfreak101, 21 June 2010 - 08:45 PM.

Day Three: Knott's Berry Farm - 6/7/10
    aka Screw Engineering, I'm Going to Be a Cowboy.
    Posted Image
    Good morning, California Sun. (Note: I cheated here. California's a cloudy mess all morning, so I grabbed this one in the afternoon. Shneaky, shneaky.)

Posted Image
    First ride of the day: Xcelerator! Quite a good coaster, even if it is over much too soon. But many claps for Intamin for the hydraulic launch - it's the best one out there!

Posted Image
    Oooh. The artsiest you'll ever see a picture from me might just be right here. Also, I cheated again. Xcelerator is way faded, so these pictures are totally edited to make the ride look plenty better.

Posted Image
    They were repainting the lower supports when I was there, though, so that's a good sign! Also, this picture makes me feel like I'm looking between some lady's legs. Children, shield your eyes. Or grab your cameras.

Posted Image
    Anyways, Xcelerator was a great start to the morning - 70+ miles per hour is a good wake-up call!

Posted Image
    And now, something much less enjoyable. Boomerang!

Posted Image
    This Boomerang had to be the slowest I've ever seen. I can't believe how long it took to get up the lift each time, and how slow the line moved as a result. Ridiculous.

Posted Image
    But it was a credit, nonetheless, and so I suppose it was worth the wait! Psych.

Posted Image
    Supreme Scream. I couldn't get myself to ride this one alone, as my mom hates drop towers with a passion, and it's a shame since I just got myself on Drop Zone at Kings Dominion last week and loved it. So be it.

Posted Image
    Perilous Plunge was down for most of the day. I saw, at most, five boats cycle all day, and probably only three of them had people in them. Shame.

Posted Image
    It's crazy how much water this thing just dumps out down the drop, really. Little children in Africa are crying and drinking their tears, and Perilous Plunge is just dropping water left and right. Niiice.

Posted Image
    Now on to the sleeper hit of the day: Pony Express! This ride was fantastically fun, so much so that it was the ride we rode most all day!

Posted Image
    It's unbelievably sad how short this thing is, though. By the time it's really started up, it's already coming to an end. But for what it is, it's a great, fun, family-friendly thrill!

Posted Image
    My mother spent her rides screaming, "I'm a cowgirl!" There's a picture to prove it sitting next to me, too. I guess I'll have to scan that in. Be excited.

Posted Image
    This is the part where the ride gets fun, twisting left, then right through this nice little tunnel that makes everyone scream. But after this, it's over.

Posted Image
    Lame rapids. Nothing like the Cedar Point ones, or the Paramount Parks', or what I hear of Dorney's. Not sure why, but these ones just don't do anything.

Posted Image
    One last shot of Pony Express. My favorite part is when a train pulls back into the station and the back-pad lifts off each rider. There's this mass simultaneous sigh of relief, and it makes me laugh every time!

Posted Image
    Sidetrack: This log flume (named Log Ride - oh, the creativity) was ridiculous. I cut myself on the boat because of the turn after the indoor drop, and, quite frankly, I'm not sure how the old couple before us didn't have a heart attack!

Posted Image
    Now over to the Mexican area of the park, where I think every single SoCal Hispanic might have spent their entire day. I think this area counted as a culture credit, really.

Posted Image
    Jaguar was an enjoyable ride - and a pretty long one, at that. Plus, I'm a sucker for these rides with the crazy-long trains, they're just so funny to watch! And the back seat's always a fun ride.

Posted Image
    This area of the park was certainly disappointing as far as aesthetics go, however. I'm not sure who decided that four of the park's seven big coasters needed to be crammed into this little spot, but they did.

Posted Image
    Regardless, it at least had plenty to do! Montezooma's Revenge (which, for the record, I don't think that's how you spell Montezuma...) was my first Schwarzkopf shuttle loop, and it was a lot of fun!

Posted Image
    Of course, it would have been more fun had I been able to wear my damn glasses. But so is the life of the blind.

Posted Image
    Launching! The flywheel launch was pretty good - better than I expected, I think! And Schwarzkopf sure did know how to design a loop...

Posted Image
    My favorite part might have been how close the train seemed to get to the top of the forward spike. Obviously, it does the same on the back one, but it was great to see the end of the track getting closer and closer!

Posted Image
    Almost done with our circle of the park, it's time for Sierra Sidewinder!

Posted Image
    I had never been on a spinning coaster, minus the spinning mice (like Primeval Whirl), and this was a nice little introduction to the genre!

Posted Image
    This was another of Knott's unfortunately-short-but-quite-fun rides. But the height, length, and concept was perfect for the family-friendly area that the ride's situated in. Definitely good for all ages!

Posted Image
    It's like the Xcelerator-overbank picture all over again! This park likes overbanks, so it seems.

Posted Image
    Clicked for this one a second too late, but it's not too bad. All in all, Sierra Sidewinder is a great ride. I wish it was longer, but just like Pony Express, it's a lot of fun for what it is. Definitely a theme of Knott's.

Posted Image
    Now for the last ride of the day: Silver Bullet! I don't know why people hate on this ride so much, it was a pretty decent invert!

Posted Image
    Quick note: I hate getting stopped by trains. Buuut now I can finally say that I have a two-trains-in-one picture, so I suppose it was worth it!

Posted Image
    Anyways, Silver Bullet was pretty good! Sure, the first drop was crazy-drawn-out, but I can see why it was necessary with the rides underneath it. And so be it! The layout was fantastic!

Posted Image
    The corkscrew-turn-corkscrew sequence has actually been in my head for a really long time. So I'd like to believe that I'm up there with Walter and Claude and Mr. Stengel. In my head, at least.

Posted Image
    And I digress. Here's a little look back at the mid-section of the park, with Pony Express and the pay-per-ride, super-short Screamin' Swing. Yet another short ride at Knott's!

Posted Image
    Here's a nice shot of the sky, plus some track. I genuinely wish that B&M would do more overbanks like this one. It might have been my favorite part of the ride, it's just a unique, floaty feeling that's pretty cool!

Posted Image
    An open ride and a closed ride. Which sucks, since I've now been on 149 coasters. Thanks, GhostRider, for killing that milestone.

Posted Image
    But anyways, some more Silver Bullet. It's quite the photogenic ride, and I enjoyed it a lot! Go Knott's for having a not-too-short ride in their collection!

Posted Image
    Also, I love the multi-colored trains. Why don't more rides do this? These train colors cancel out the ugly, all-red-for-no-purpose lift hill of the ride they run on. I'd like to see them elsewhere!

Posted Image
    Aaand we'll end this update with a moment of silence for Tyler's Coaster Count. Next stop: Universal Studios Hollywood!
  • nin%s's Photo
    Some pretty shots there man, looks like a great trip.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading