Theme Park Discussion / NE's Coaster Awards

• tdub96%s's Photo
    Alright so I saw on CF that they have the Airtime Awards, much like the Golden ticket awards, but as voted on by the community. The season is winding down and the Golden Tix were announced recently, so I became inspired. I know some of us here are coaster enthusiasts, so why not give it a try here? If you guys show enough interest here with the preliminary nominations, then I'll post a topic with a poll, then later results, for each category. Categories will be seperated for the US and Europe, and maybe a few for Asia, we'll see.

So for intstance, there will be a secion of US awards, best steel coaster, best woody, best new coaster, best park, etc, and then a section for the Europeans out there. You dont have to have ridden the coaster or been to the park, just have a general knowledge to vote accordingly.

So the givens (coasters/parks that are already shoe-ins to be nominated for these awards):
    USA/North America:
    Best Steel Coaster: Intimidator 305, Millenium Force, Bizzaro (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Intimidator, Nitro, Maverick, Behemoth (CANADA), Steel Eel, S:Krypton, Shockwave, Titan, Alpengeist, Raptor, Magnum XL200, Dominator, Apollos Chariot, Raging Bull
    Best Wooden Coaster: El Toro, Voyage, Boulder Dash, Thunderhead, Viper (SFGA), Beast, Legend, Phoenix, Ghost Rider,Wildcat, Cyclone (Astroland)
    Best New Coaster: I305, Sky Rocket, Intimidator
    Best Park: Cedar Point, SF GADV, SF MM, SF OG, Kennywood, Knoebels, Kings Dominion, BG TB, Holiday World, Universal IOA, Disney (CA and FL), BGW

Europe:
    Best Steel Coaster: Nemisis, Blue Fire, Goliath (WW), Exp. GeForce, Dragon Khan, Piraten, Superman: La A-A,
    Best Wooden Coaster: Balder, Colossos (Heide), Megafobia, Troy, El Toro (plohn), Rutschebanen, Tonnere de Zeus, Stampida
    Best New Coaster: SAW, Th13teen, Monster, Joris en de Draak
    Best Park: Alton Towers, Thorpe, Heide, Europa Park, Disney Paris, Port Aventura, Phantasialand,
    Asia:(this will be limited)
    Best Steel Coaster: Thunder Dolphin, Fujiyama, Kawasemi, Fly over Mediterranean, Steel Dragon 2000, Pyrenees
    Best Wooden Coaster:T Express, White Cyclone, Fireball
    Best Park: Nagashima Spa Land

Asia is obviously limited, but any suggestions/nominations feel free to post them! Whether its a coaster, park, or even new category, let the nominations begin! And when they begin to die down, I'll put it all together into a poll for you guys to vote, and then post the results, and eventually, we'll have the first NE Coaster Awards :)

(the list will be updated as nominations are made)
  • That Guy%s's Photo
    No Disney or IOA?
  • tdub96%s's Photo
    ^thats what I meant, go ahead and nominate as you feel necessary :nod:
  • Jaguar%s's Photo
    I believe the Viper at SFGA should have been nominated.
  • tdub96%s's Photo
    ^alright, keep em coming boys ;)

And its not that i didnt nominate them, the ones listed above are the shoe-ins, the ones guaranteed to be nominated by someone, so I just listed them myself. So, whatever coaster, park, etc, go right ahead :nod:
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    If I had to pick the best from Texas that Ive been on..
    SWSA-Steel Eel (steel)
    SFFT-Superman: Krypton Coaster (steel)
    SFOT-Shockwave (steel) Titan (steel)
  • Maverick%s's Photo
    I agree, Disney should be in there. Also think BGW needs to be on the list. And my wooden coaster list looks totally different from the initial one.
  • tdub96%s's Photo
    Well these would be the givens. Thanks austin, youll see those as choices come voting time.

The coasters above are in no order, Maverick, but feel free to nominate any you feel deserving of "Best Wooden Coaster."
  • MCI%s's Photo
    If you´re talking about the best europe Parks/Coasters you can´t forget the Phantasialand (Germany) with his B&M Inverter BlackMamba!!! Or the GCI Woody "El Toro" en Plohn...
  • tdub96%s's Photo
    Alright, so Phantasialand will be added to the list of European parks to vote on, while the GCI El Toro and Black Mamba will be added to their respective categories. Thanks MCl.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Europe:
    Best Steel Coaster: Nemisis, Blue Fire, Goliath (WW), Exp. GeForce, Dragon Khan, Piraten, Colossos (Thorpe), Black Mamba, Superman - la Atracción de Acero
    Best Wooden Coaster: Balder, Colossos (Heide), Megafobia, Troy, Rutschebanen (Bakken)(?), El Toro
    Best New Coaster: SAW, Th13teen, Monster, Joris en de Draak
    Best Park: Alton Towers, Thorpe, Heide, Europa Park, Oakwood, Holiday Park, Efteling, Tivoli Gardens(?), Phantasialand

Everyone hates Colossos.

Rutschebanen has to be included. It's so fucking awesome.

Oakwood and Holiday Park for best parks? I haven't visited them both but they seem like regional parks to me and I never heared any really positive stories about them. Negative stories about Holiday Park actually.
  • Magnus%s's Photo
    I am with Liampie here. Holiday Park certainly does not belong to the best European parks. To me it is not even above par in Germany.
    Actually I wonder how you could have forgotten about Port Aventura and Disney Paris (considering it to be one park). Looking at these two you can easily skip on Heide Park, Europa Park, Efteling and Phatansialand. (Do not want to judge the other nominees as I have never been there.)

As for European wooden coasters I'd add Tonnere de Zeus and Stampida. They are old and somewhat uncomfortable, but still great rides.
  • tdub96%s's Photo
    ^alright guys, your suggestions will be added to the list. As for the ones I've already nominated, feel free to tell me which should be removed from the list. I chose those roughly because I thought they would be nominated at some point.

Keep em coming :mantis:
  • Magnus%s's Photo
    I rather sure there are quite a few people who would nominate the above mentioned parks, but actually the question is what you want as a result of a poll like this.

There is a prominent example of a German languaged park fansite which is having annual polls on European parks and handing out awards for the winners. I like that idea - however it is no wonder that German parks are winning all the way, when hardly anybody from outside Germany is voting.

I am sensing the same problem here, with the British/German/Dutch members all voting their parks. (I am not sure how that translates to the US parks.) As a result you will mostly find out how many members from each country are active at NE.
    The results should be a lot better with people rating each park/attraction they know, but I am not sure if that is worth the effort.
  • tdub96%s's Photo
    That's why theyre separated into 2 categories, well 3 actually, US, Europe and Asia. The poll will be separated into those categories so that not all the German parks and rides would win if we had a bunch of Dutch members vote. This way, everyone can vote for everything, but the continents will have separated sets of winners in each category.

EDIT: I think i see what youre saying now, with the Dutch and British in the same category. I think it'll be fine, or another way would be to separate it into US, Dutch, British, then Asia. Idk, let me know what you all think.
  • Maverick%s's Photo
    Beast, Legend, Phoenix, Ghostrider, Wildcat are all deserving of being on the wooden list as well.

Alpengiest, Raptor, Apollos Chariot, Magnum, Dominator could all fit on the steel list.

Could you edit the initial post so we can keep track of the parks and rides already nominated?
  • tdub96%s's Photo
    ^thanks mav...ill get on that now ;)

EDIT: Alright, its updated
  • RRP%s's Photo
    Th13teen
  • Jaguar%s's Photo
    I also think the Cyclone at astroland should be nominated, along with maybe the Raging Bull at SFGA
  • tdub96%s's Photo
    @RRP- I'm keeping Th13teen on there due to the fact that it was new this season, and deserves to be part of that category. I agree tho, this isnt one of the top steel coasters in the UK, just one of the better new ones.

@Jag-Thanks, Cyclone is a classic, so I'll throw it on. Raging Bull, sick ride, I'll put it up there too. Thanks.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading