Music Forum / My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

• robbie92%s's Photo
    So... Kanye's out with new shit, and damn is it good. Not only has he overcome the PR fiasco of last year's VMAs, but cemented his place as a rap legend imo. The new album is ahead of anything he's done yet, and all of his previous albums have been great imo. Any hip-hop fans have an opinion on this album?

Oh, and holy shit at the amount of guests on this album.
  • J K%s's Photo
    He's a cock but he makes good music. I'm not buying it all but buying the tracks that take my fancy.
  • inVersed%s's Photo
    I have had this album for a little over a week now and I am completely obsessed with this album. Every track demonstrates and large amount of time and effort, creating a masterful work of art. Not only is this Kanye's best album, this is easily one of the best mainstream hip hop albums of the 21st century. Every song tells a unique story and both highly addicting to listening to and awe-inspiring. My favorite songs are Blame Game, Hell of A Life, Lost in the World, and So Appalled; although any song could be on this list because they are so good.

This has been a very strong year in hip hop IMO. Although Cudi's Man on the Moon II was slightly disappointing to me this year showed both Kanye and Eminem return triumphantly from their slumps and "Lace Up" a breakout mixtape from upcoming Cleveland rapper Machine Gun Kelly was released and left my jaw dropped.... and Mac Miller's "K.I.D.S" mixtape is pretty damn catchy too
  • Top Gun%s's Photo
    Mr. West's passion for his music always shines through everything he does, and that's why I like it. In an age where auto-tuners and "hit" songs seem to get the spotlight, Kanye West still does it better.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    i think the point about autotune is very important. i'm so bored with fake perfection that i'm gettign more into the "imperfect" side of music.

on topic, is it worth me getting this album?
  • inVersed%s's Photo

on topic, is it worth me getting this album?

Yes. Even if you are not a hip hop fan, this is the one hip hop album I would recommend you still get. It goes beyond the genre beautifully
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    I agree with inVersed. The album's really complex, lyrically, musically, and aurally. It's a fantastic listen from start to finish and features some incredible work from people I hadn't regarded as highly before.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    I ordered the Special Edition the other day and it just arrived. Man... It's been a long time since an album managed to draw me in THIS much.
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    Reviving an old thread... because this was a pretty significant record and I haven't had a chance to talk about it with anyone yet. Perhaps people have changed their opinion some since it first came out? As a fan of Kanye's other albums, and the first two in particular, I had mixed feelings about this album. Musically it's by far the most complex and interesting production work he's done to date. It sounds absolutely gorgeous. But lyrically, I can't rep this as his best album.

Obviously I don't expect any artist to just pretend the cynicism and fatalism that seem to accompany great success and fame don't exist. I appreciate that Kanye continues to write about what's relevant to him. However, I can't help but miss the wide-eyed optimism which pervades the first two albums. When I put this album on I can commiserate with Kanye about how so much of what starts out promising ends up turning to shit. I've felt that way too. But when I put on The College Dropout or listen to some of Late Registration (the first half in particular) I can feel the music lifting me out of self-pity and reminding me that there's hope and joy and exhilaration in the world too and they make the suffering worthwhile.

One of my favorites songs is Talib Kweli's "Get By", which was produced by Kanye before his first album came out. That's one of the most uplifting songs I've ever heard and most of the impact comes from the production work. I'm glad Kanye has since branched out from the soul music samples he built his career on and experimented with new ideas. Musically he's never been better. But I hope he eventually reacquires his optimism that music can have the power to uplift as well. As the number of people listening to his message has increased the message itself has only gotten more bleak and confused, which is a shame.
  • Timothy Cross%s's Photo
    ^ That's all because Kanye West is a garbage human being. His music sucks and he sucks... as would anyone who listens to his own music more than others music.
  • inVersed%s's Photo

^ That's all because Kanye West is a garbage human being. His music sucks and he sucks... as would anyone who listens to his own music more than others music.

This is just ridiculous. You just can't listen to MBDTF and say it straight up sucks. Maybe its lyrically not his strongest outing but its still quite a masterful album.
  • Timothy Cross%s's Photo
    You see, there lies within the center of the Earth a collection of every single album ever made in history. I had once dug myself to within the center of the Earth with a toy shovel. Once reaching the center of the Earth, I spent my time listening to every album ever written in history. Also, the symphonies of Bach and Beethoven. I first listened to every single Kayne West album ever "written". Then I listened to every single other album ever made along with the symphonies. The very last song I listened to was the "Hokey Pokey".

Then I thought to myself, "It's hot in here. I gotta go."

Suddenly, the devil showed up and told me I couldn't leave. This is the center of the Earth.. the location of Hell.

The Devil then played the "Hokey Pokey" and informed me I would have to listen to it for all eternity. When he turned his back, I just kinda laughed in infinite relieve. Hey, Hell's not so bad.

That's my twisted, dark, sick, vomit inducing, twisted, dark, dark fantasy.

Stupid.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    No.
  • JDP%s's Photo
    "im a motha fuckin monsta".. really catchy beat and everyone on the track flowed real nice.

i love the vibe you get in this album and you can really feel how far kayne has come. as an artist myself i know that this album had tons of effort and time put into it, lyrically instrumentally, everything, and its great to hear it come together. i liked how kayne got back into the hiphop flow of things with this album as well as including character from 808's. ill put it this way, kayne is reaching the height of fame that passes greatness and has put himself on a level with greats such as jay and em. the dude can make music whether you love him or hate him, you got to respect him. and if you never heard through the wire and dislike kayne then your an idiot.
    -JDP

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading