(Archive) Advertising District / Springwood Park

• Steve K%s's Photo
    Hey everyone, been following NE Designs for years now and know a couple of those that post here as I hope they remember me as well...lol. I never really was that great at building RCT parks, however I just re-downloaded it from gamestop a while back and challenged one of our members on RCPro to a little competition. In order to make it a little more balanced for me (beginner) and Nick (much better than I), we decided to use a stock map with stock scenery. Utilizing the 'Build your Own Six Flags' scenario, we set ourselves up with this challenge. The rules are as follows:

1. Contest will be bi-weekly, ending and beginning on a Sunday.
    2. Each period the Community will decide what type of roller coaster will be built by contestants.
    3. Contestants must abide by only using the coaster type selected by community, however they may include as many flat rides, support stalls/shops, theming, land modification, as well as pathing as deemed necessary in the immediate area surrounding the coaster. Contestant may not branch off to different sections of the park.
    4. Once a period is over and the next coaster has been selected, the contestants may no longer modify the previous section of the park to include paths, transportation rides, or ride/theming.
    5. Land modification is unrestricted within the boundary of the park.
    6. Stalls/architecture are at the discretion of the contestant.
    7. Should a contestant want to do a racing coaster, it is allowed as long as they maintain the type of coaster for the week.
    8. Bench will be based off of the default 'Build your Own Six Flags Park' scenario in RCT2.
    9. Money will be unlimited and playeres may utilize the 8 Cars Per Trainer and all features therein however may not zero clearance and merge track types.
    10. At the end of every bi-weekly period, contestants will upload their park for judging on the latest section and integration.

Anyways, now that you guys have a background, hopefully you understand what we got going on...haha. Today ended our first bi-weekly round and the coaster type chosen was Arrow corkscrew as well as the opening midway. I'm not sure if Nick will be joining and posting his bi-weekly updates as well, however I look forward to hearing your critiques and comments on my progress in hopes of gaining some good pointers. :)
    -----------------

So for round one, I decided to go back to the old Arrow multi-loopers (GASM, Shockwave, etc) and design this ride in a similar style with a more unique layout. With Shockwave being a favorite of mine, I call this ride, 'Big Blue' in it's honor. Also as a tribute to my favorite Arrow coaster of all time, Drachen Fire, I included a cutback element to it's layout as well.

So without further ado, I give you Springwood Park and Big Blue!

Attached Image: 01 - Overview.jpg
    Welcome, to Springwood Park!

Attached Image: 02 - Fountain.jpg
    Here we can see the entrance plaza.

Attached Image: 03 - Guest Services.jpg
    On the left side of the midway we can see the park management offices as well as the guest services building.

Attached Image: 04 - Monorail Station.jpg
    The monorail station in all it's glory. The monorail is currently as useless as the Springfield monorail, monorail...monoraaaiiiillll! (Still under construction...lol)

Attached Image: 05 - Typhoon & Wonder Wheel.jpg
    Continuing down the left side of the midway, we come across two popular flat rides, Typhoon (Huss Top Spin) as well as the Wonder Wheel (Chance Morgan).

Attached Image: 06 - Big Blue Entry.jpg
    On the opposite side of the midway we catch a glimpse of Big Blue's entry building where guests can purchase souvenirs as well as play some games before taking a ride!

Attached Image: 07 - Big Blue Station.jpg
    And now on to the park's main attraction (so far)...Big Blue (Arrow Multi-Looper)! Here we can see the double corkscrews as well as the tribute to Drachen Fire, the cutback.

Attached Image: 08 - Big Blue Station & Magical Carpet.jpg
    Here we get a look at the station for Big Blue as well as the Magical Carpet.

Attached Image: Big Blue Stats.jpg
    Ride Stats for Big Blue.

Attached Image: 09 - Big Blue.jpg
    Overview of Big Blue.

Attached Image: 10 - Big Blue.jpg
    Overview of Big Blue.

Attached Image: 11 - Big Blue.jpg
    Overview of Big Blue.

Attached Image: 12 - Big Blue.jpg
    Overview of Big Blue.

Attached Image: 13 - Big Blue.jpg
    Overview of Big Blue.

Attached Image: 14 - Big Blue.jpg
    And here we see the cutback and the final helix into the brakerun.

Attached Image: 15 - Swashbuckler.jpg
    As we continue down the back of the midway to the right, we come across Swashbuckler (Huss Pirate Boat).

Attached Image: 16 - Swashbuckler.jpg
    Swashbuckler.

Attached Image: 17 - Serpent.jpg
    And should we have chosen to venture along the left side of the midway, we come across another great ride, the Serpent (RCPro Ride Manufacturing)!

Attached Image: 18 - Serpent.jpg
    Although Serpent offers only a short ride experience with two circuits, it is a crowd favorite!
  • In:Cities%s's Photo
    this is beautiful work buddy. nice job on the park, and welcome!
    i love to see this style of parkmaking alive and well.
  • J K%s's Photo
    Qatar? Cool. I like your competition as it highlights the fun you can have from these scenarios. I think the coaster is good and for using all non custom scenery pieces it has a realistic feel to the park layout. I hope to see more from you soon but I think you'll have even more fun when you get some custom scenery in there. Good luck with this buddy! I also hope a few more guys from RCPRO can drop buy and post their stuff.
  • posix%s's Photo
    Are you really from Qatar?
  • Dotrobot%s's Photo
    This is really fantastic. Such a simplistic and relaxing style.
  • Steve K%s's Photo
    I am not from Qatar, just happen to be in Qatar for the time being...haha.

Thanks for the input JK, I ended up losing the first round, but I'm still proud of the work I've done and there's always next round...lol. I ended up winning 'Best Park', but lost 'Best Coaster' and overall...haha. Next round has begun and per our users, GCI woodie is the next coaster type we have to work with.

Also, I think most of our RCT players that once were a part of RCPro are already over here...haha. It'd be cool to see some of you guys over there..haha.
  • Comet%s's Photo
    Yeah I remember being at RCPro during the Summer Showdown days

Anyway I just checked out your opponents park and I think agree with the outcome, although I liked your coaster better, but it doesn't look like he followed the no zero clearance rule...
    With yours I'd just say try not to overdo it with the topiary trees, a little elevation change where the paths are could help, and a different fence around the lake so it doesn't look like it could overflow
  • Steve K%s's Photo
    I have a weird issue where people get stuck within 6 path tiles and keep going back and forth. Even when i remove some pathways, they still just gather in that general area walking back and worth. Screenshot for what I mean...

Posted Image

Any ideas on how to fix this?
  • That Guy%s's Photo
    Peep jam. It's quite common. Before you start doing bigger solutions, try just re-working the path they're on so that it's more straightforward, and see if that works first.

They look like they're trying to get to a ride/stall/or the exit. You could make an extra path for them where they are getting stuck so they can get to the place, or you can create a hidden underground path to help them along. Or you can delete the ride/stall that they're trying to get to if it's easy to get rid of.

Beyond that there isn't much you can do.
  • Steve K%s's Photo
    It seems that the issue was people leaving the maze. Once I closed the maze, pincered everyone over to the park entrance, everyone else near the maze has no problems walking through now.
  • Steve K%s's Photo
    Round 2 -- Backcountry Bandit

Attached Image: 001.jpg
    For round two's coaster, I decided to opt for a nice family coaster that would balance out my park nicely. The result, Backcountry Bandit.

Attached Image: 002.jpg
    Another view of the overall layout.

Attached Image: 003.jpg
    A look at the station/transfer section.

Attached Image: 004.jpg
    A view of the lift and majority of the coaster as well as various other buildings.

Attached Image: 005.jpg
    The 2nd half of the layout.

Attached Image: 006.jpg
    Entranceway to the new themed area, "The Backcountry"

Attached Image: 007.jpg
    Blah.

Attached Image: 008.jpg
    Another section of The Backcountry features the monorail station for this section as well as Old Timers and the Classic Carousel.

Attached Image: 009.jpg
    Monorail station.

Attached Image: 010.jpg
    Old Timers.

Attached Image: 011.jpg
    Here we see the souvenir/game stalls as well as Carl's Cantina restaurant.

Attached Image: 012.jpg
    Here we see another game as well as the Backwoods BBQ. Also enclosed on the bottom floor is the Bumper Bash attraction, classic Dodgems.

Attached Image: 013.jpg
    And here we see an overview of the park's progress!

Thoughts, criticisms, suggestions?
  • Steve K%s's Photo
    Was hoping to get some input on how I can improve. Anyone have any advise?
  • Dotrobot%s's Photo
    No specific advice. It all looks very nice. Make some buildings stick though. Not all buildings are seperate even if it's 1 tile.
  • tdub96%s's Photo
    A lot of brown too. If youre gonna have that much brown, vary the type of brown a bit.
  • Gwazi%s's Photo
    sorry i can't offer specific advice right now, but i wanted to say that at actually looks pretty good. it really makes me want to play that game again.

p.s. how is Qatar?
  • Steve K%s's Photo
    What do you mean make the buildings stick? Like have them closer together or attached?
  • Gwazi%s's Photo
    he means you should work more on your facades. many theme parks have facades in which there are several buildings that are connected (without any gaps between them), whereas you have at least one tile of land in between all of your buildings.
  • Steve K%s's Photo
    Welcome to the newest expansion of Springwood Park with the debut of the park's 3rd roller coaster, a B&M Invert that goes by...
    Attached Image: 001.jpg

Expedition! Explore the caves and chasms of one of Springwood Park's valleys on this B&M thriller!
    Attached Image: 002.jpg

Stats...
    Attached Image: 003.jpg

Here we can see the ride's exit building.
    Attached Image: 004.jpg

And here we see Expedition naked...rated RCPro X...highest coaster nudity rating allowed!
    Attached Image: 005.jpg

Here we see another attraction addition, the Bumper Boats. Guests not wanting to ride but get in on the fun are encouraged to take aim in the Bumper Boat Soakers section on the bridge.
    Attached Image: 006.jpg

Here we can also see the park's IMAX 3-D cinema featuring a film licensed off of the 'Lost in Space' franchise.
    Attached Image: 007.jpg

And as usual we leave you with a park overview to show the progress overall.
    Attached Image: 008.jpg

------------

As always, comments, suggestions, etc are encouraged. I was lucky enough to scrounge something together today last minute after my previous design got lost in a trapper error. I think I did alright with only a few hours work...lol.
  • 7Thumbs%s's Photo
    Cool Park. And I see your using the build your own six flags park.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    that's something I'd have never accomplished in the 'build your own six flags park map' xd

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading