(Archive) Advertising District / Work-in-Progress: Xenaverse

• Disney Freak%s's Photo
    Hi,

So, not sure I should be calling this a comeback, cause no one probably cares or remembers me so lets just advertise this as a new park being made now that I'm much less pressed for time. The park, heavily themed, is gonna be based on one of my favorite guilty pleasures, the TV show Xena. The park will be themed into 5 different areas:
    1. Potedia Main Street - Small tight walkways will welcome guests in this crowded marketplace that serves as a gateway into the park.
    2. Olympus - Place of the gods, from the magnificent Zeus to the dark Hades.
    3. The Norse Lands - Odin, Valkyries, a beautiful mountaintop and a mysterious creature await in this part of the park.
    4. Kingdom of Chin - A surreal and beautiful place that is home to some iconic Xena characters including Lao Ma and The Green Dragon.
    5. Amazon Woods - A place of gathering for Amazons, welcome to the Amazonian woods.

The idea is to basically make this a heavily themed park. Expect a more Disney-esque feel from it, meaning heavy theming and less emphasis on the rollercoasters (although you can still expect a few of those too!). Any way, screenshots included of the Potedia Main Street:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cricism, both constructive or just plain obnoxious is welcome...
  • Fisch%s's Photo
    Pretty cool! It looks kind of old school and has a special charm. But honestly I don't like the object choice all that much...it seems you built this with a bench from the time when you were active on here. But since you already seem to have progressed quite a bit with the park there's no way to replace so many objects anymore now. What I dislike are the round diagonal window blocks or whatever you would call those and the fact that the waterfall has two different textures in the second screen.
    Good luck with this park.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    nice. i like it.
  • nin%s's Photo
    Has a very nice, retro feel to it. I like it.
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    I like the classic style and atmosphere in those screens. And you're Israeli :D
  • Disney Freak%s's Photo

What I dislike are the round diagonal window blocks or whatever you would call those and the fact that the waterfall has two different textures in the second screen.
    Good luck with this park.

Fixed. And thanks!

nice. i like it.

Thanks!

Has a very nice, retro feel to it. I like it.

Kind of amusing how everyone sees this as retro and I'm just picking up where I left off. I feel kinda like a time traveler.

I like the classic style and atmosphere in those screens. And you're Israeli :D

Thanks man! And yes I am. Yay for me?
  • J K%s's Photo
    Awesome! It really does inspire me when parks like this show up with the older style we used to know and love. It seems to look really good and I like the various colours you have in the first screen, all complimenting each other. I can't wait to see some rides and while I don't know that much about Xena, it seems a good concept. Really good luck with this and I hope you can get some releases under your belt this year and earn some points.

Welcome back!
  • Disney Freak%s's Photo

Awesome! It really does inspire me when parks like this show up with the older style we used to know and love. It seems to look really good and I like the various colours you have in the first screen, all complimenting each other. I can't wait to see some rides and while I don't know that much about Xena, it seems a good concept. Really good luck with this and I hope you can get some releases under your belt this year and earn some points.

Welcome back!

Thanks for the kind words JK! Xena is a personal favorite of mine and kind of a guilty pleasure. While watching it I just figured it was a real springboard to a lot of different, interesting themes so I just kinda went for it. Thinks are moving along slowly but surely.

I'm having a bit of an inspirational problem with all things landscaping and am looking to some recommended work for "guidance". Any work references would be greatly appreciated! Anyway, new screenshot should be up in the coming days...
  • Disney Freak%s's Photo
    Norse Lands Preview
    Okay, so this is initial work on the norse area of the park. The story of this place tells of a hideous creature named Brunhilda. The story goes that Xena, during her evil days, stole gold of extreme power from the Rhein Maidens and transformed it into a powerful ring. Grinhilda, Odin's most beloved Valkyrie (aka protector of the Norse lands), trying to prevent Xena from using the power of the ring, stole it from Xena only to have it transform her into a hideous beast, named Brunhilda. That beast has been trapped living in a mine ever since, looking for revenge on Xena and her allies. Above the mine stands a huge mountain, home to Valhalla and King of the Norse Gods, Odin. Surrounding the mountain below it is the beautiful Norse villiage that since the time of Evil Xena's expeditions has established itself as a quaint villiage, only to be disturbed by the continous roars of the mysterious beast.

The land will be home to:
    The Flying Horses of Valhalla - Carousel
    Flight of Valkyrie - A motion simulator telling the story of the beautiful valkyries during their most dangerous missions.
    The Rhein Maiden's Cove A walkabout attraction where guests can see where Xena stole the Rhein Maidens' gold and transformed it into a ring so powerful, it turned Grinhilda into the beast she is.
    Brunhilda's Liar - Either a mine ride/buggy style ride - similar to Disney's Haunted Mansion that will have you escaping the jaws of the hideous beast of the mines.
    (This area's E-Ticket) Odin's Fury - A mine train rollercoaster that will circle the huge mountain and Valhalla. Come and experience Odin's rage over the transformation of his beloved into a murderous monster.

Here is some initial work on the villiage:
    Posted Image

Thoughts, suggestions, flatout insults? All are welcome...
  • musicman%s's Photo
    Too flat, and I'm not sure about thee color scheme.
  • highroll3r%s's Photo
    I dont like the tan wood building because the face of its to flat and the path interaction doesnt look good. Smaller details are required here. Flower beds, benches and sittin areas. The buildings could use a more unique doorway and path to make them stand out. unless theire all one building. The story is great, sounds like you have a really good plan for this area. looking forward to seing the mine train.
  • Disney Freak%s's Photo

Too flat, and I'm not sure about thee color scheme

I'll try see how I can spruce things up in terms of flatness. The colors stay.

I dont like the tan wood building because the face of its to flat and the path interaction doesnt look good. Smaller details are required here. Flower beds, benches and sittin areas. The buildings could use a more unique doorway and path to make them stand out. unless theire all one building. The story is great, sounds like you have a really good plan for this area. looking forward to seing the mine train

I'll see what I can do about the tan building, though this might sound like an excuse but seeing it in context it looks much better than the screen implies. As for unique entrances, I'll try that. Any reference work for suggestions? A picture of the mine train should be coming up next so stay tuned.

For now a pic of the simulator attraction, Flight of Valkyrie - or more accurately, the pre-show/queue building.
    Posted Image
  • In:Cities%s's Photo
    First two screens really remind me of my own work. Specifically in 'Lotus', which is a good thing lol. I like this a lot!
  • musicman%s's Photo
    What image uploader are you using? All of your screens look rather pixelated, and I think that may be part of the reason it looks somewhat gaudy in my eyes.
  • Disney Freak%s's Photo
    Webshots... I don't know why the images come out looking this way, to be honest.
  • Disney Freak%s's Photo
    New shots of a different variety... Well, sneak peaks really. The first is of Odin's Fury during one of the few outdoor segments:
    Posted Image

As Odin and his travellers make a turn back into the halls of Valhalla, guests enter the mines of the monster's liar at their own peril:
    Posted Image

This place is turning out much bigger in scale than I anticipated so I'm held back with the area a wee bit longer than expected. I should be continuing construction of Mount Olympus shortly.
    Anyway, I'm trying to make the atmosphere both abandoned and semi-creepy while avoiding making it boring and plain, which is proving to be a pain in the ass. Any suggestions?
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    I love your style, it has something unique.
  • Disney Freak%s's Photo
    OK, so not much of an update but not much has been done. Between work and everything in between it's been a bit of a nightmare to work on it but I'm getting there. I'm probably 85% complete with this part of the park, shortly after I'll move on to the main hub and Olympus. For now, a few pics with story explanations:
    Posted Image
    Aight, so to start things off:
    The major part of the screen shows off the almost done picture of the village center. Rock work will welcome guests into this land (as partialy seen at the bottom left corner). The building right near the entrance is Odin's temple, which will welcome guests to the rollercoaster, Odin's Fury. The POV in the pic is obviously the less visable part to guests, hence it being slightly poor in terms of theming. The building to the temple's right will house the simulator ride, Flight of Valkyrie, while the massive pink building will house most of it's queue area + preshow room, and also functions as the attraction entrance (as previously seen in screens).

Moving forward, next is a table-service restaurant that offers guests a unique upper-deck viewing to the huge mountain - the upper deck can be seen from the screenshot. Moving to the hub's mini "weener" is the two-deck carousel. To it's left are some more restaurants and gift shops which are without names as of now.

Last but not least is the bridge, that invites guests to Grinhilda's Lair dark ride or the lavishly themed Rheinmaiden's Cove walkthrough.

Posted Image
    A close up at the architecture for the double-deck carousel, which will serve as both a mini "weener" for guests and the ending of the village + start of the forest and transition area to the next land.
  • highroll3r%s's Photo
    Disney Freak this is quite good! As i really like the shape of the carousel building, ill try to give you some tips on how to make it even better but first i have to say that i dont like the path transition. IMO grey doesnt blend with the crazy paving well, especially that concrete tile footpath. Ive been warned numerous times not to use that type of path. Anyway ive analysed the carousel building and heres what im suggesting:

The green indicates those wooden roofed spikes being moved to the front of the building. The front of it how it is, is very flat faced. This recommendation would change that.

The red lines are demonstrating a balcony. I see that youve used balcony fence on the flat faced wall. With the two towers brought forward, they would create a half tile balcony between them.

I think if you use my advice it could look awsome. :)

Attached Image: untitled.JPG
  • Luigi%s's Photo
    I like it. It has something unique.

The carrousel looks really nice. I agree with highroller that the front is too flat though.

Oh, and you should bring some variation in your bush-selection.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading