Theme Park Discussion / Nuclear power plant turned into a...

• Austin55%s's Photo
    I cant believe I'd never heard of this? A starflyer inside of a cooling tower?
    http://photoblog.msn...to-leisure-park
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    I've been there with school when it was still named 'kalkar'.
    I've never known it was originally a nuclear power plant.
    It's a very cool park because the entrance price was REALLY cheap (the park isn't that great, a junior and log flume are the game-makers..) but you could as much as you wanted of EVERYTHING.
    Fries, Ice cream, the plants, etc.

That starflyer is new though, when we were there it was just used as an echo-crater.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Although I wanted to because of the free food, I never went there sadly. Seen it a few times from the highway though.

The park is owned by the Dutch entertainment related stuff tycoon Hennie van der Most, who is a master at buying crap locations for a bargain and turning it into succesful amusement parks, hotels, event centres and that kind of stuff. I once saw a documentary about him and Wunderland Kalkar on dutch television. His strategies are bizarre.

However I think putting a starflyer in a cooling tower is not a good idea. You can do so many better things with such a construction. I know he's not into theming, but a cooling tower would be an excellent opportunity to create an adventurous themed area set at the bottom of a cenote.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    Well, Kalkar wasn't really succesful it was bankrupt.
    Then it was sold for 1 simple euro. (the customer also got the bills xd)
  • F0ndue%s's Photo
    I can`t really say if it works in english,but I have to say it:
    Freizeitpark Kalkar;ihre Kinder werden strahlen!
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    ^your children will shine ? xD
  • F0ndue%s's Photo
    Yeah,but it does not really work in english.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    ^it worked for me in dutch ;)
    If I got the double meaning of 'strahlen' well, shine / glow(from nuclear shizzle), right ?
  • F0ndue%s's Photo
    Nah in german strahlen means also to send out radiation/certain kind of ray.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    ^that was exactly what I meant ;)
  • prodigy%s's Photo
    But Kalkar never operated as Nuclear power plant, cause the german politicians are absolute idiots... the building licence was canceled when it was nearly finished... reams of millions of euros just wasted...

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading