Fiesta! / IlliUM CiTY

• Brent%s's Photo
    Very Mala-esque. Me likey.
  • Micool%s's Photo
    I really enjoyed reading that, thanks Ed. Honestly have no idea what's going on in the story, but somehow it's still fascinating. You (WME?) do the noir/comic book thing skillfully--you don't own any comic books or anything, do you? :)

Thought the screens were brilliant, loved the creature sculpture. Obviously everything needs to be more stacked and more more MORE of a clusterfuck, duh.
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    I haven't read a lot of comics per se, but I've been influenced by a lot of movies, videogames, and anime which do reference comic books so I suppose you could call it an indirect influence. Those are excerpts from a much longer story that was meant to introduce different locations throughout the city and take you on kindof a guided tour (while also being a stand alone story in its own right). Like the park it's still a work in progress. I am a little concerned that I'm basically just aping Blade Runner, but then who hasn't at this point right? :) .WME likes to write as well and he had some ideas for a parallel story to go along with this one, but he's started working full-time now so I don't know that he'll have the time for that anymore.

Mount Doom was definitely a big inspiration for the park RCT wise, as was anything by Mala but particularly his RCT2 parks and how he used Toon's 1/4 tile blocks. WME's unqiue take on coaster design lends itself well to a fantasy setting. All of his coasters on the map (there's 5 of them I think) are totally unlike anything else I've seen. Another big inspiration was Hybris Mega Park, which blew me away the first time I saw it because of how impossibly intricate it was. The idea for the tiered trolley ride -- which creates four levels by intersecting with the b&m and GCI track -- is a direct reference to that park and I've tried to utilize vertical interaction like that as much as possible. I already mentioned Blade Runner, which has been a visual reference point for basically everything I've ever built -- just the methodology of layering details on top of each other to create something visually believable. The White Dragon sushi restaurant even makes a cameo appearance. And the other big influences I suppose are the Moebius comic I posted, Final Fantasy VII's blending of nature and technology and anything by Hiyao Miyazaki.

With the amount of work left to be done, the park ought to be done in a couple of months, but I'm hesitant to put any kind of expected release date because we've been working on this so long by now that there's no point in rushing it out there until we're both satisfied it's as good as we can make it.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading