News / NE Survey

1 - Write-ups should be a requirement for important parks before they are released.

2 - Logos should be a requirement for important parks before they are released.

3 - Great screens are more entertaining than viewing the respective park in-game.

4 - The NE accolades are useful indicators for RCT quality.

5 - When there's a great park I want to open it in-game. Looking at screens is not enough.

6 - Improving my current rank motivates me to finish parks.

7 - Winning the NE Design or NE Spotlight accolade motivates me to finish parks.

8 - Improving my hall of fame ranking motivates me to finish parks.

9 - The opinions that others will post on my park motivate me to finish parks.

10 - Placing high in official NE contests motivates me to finish parks.

11 - The above questions do not capture what really motivates me to finish parks.

• Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

BTW...I'll have to pass on your offer but I do appreciate the loving terms of endearment

This has never, ever been a good come back or insult. Ever. You look like a child.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    See K0NG that's a much better explanation and done in a way that is actually constructive and not down right rude. I agree 100% with what you said there. I don't think they are all that mediocre but I do believe that they aren't what I know I can acchieve but with me, especially back then, I didn't want to hold on to anything, I wanted to release, release, release. That's my downfall. I'm working on it though, what with Batman still being built on 2 years down the line. Anywho, back to the main discussion.

I think tiered designs bring too many different categories to the table.

The way I see it though is that we have Design and Spotlight Design. The latter being done in the same voting precedure as spotlights. Once 80% or so is hit, people have the opportunity to be considered for spotlight design where you have to have at least 75% or so saying yes to spotlight.

What are people's thoughts on this concept?
  • gir%s's Photo
    I like the idea, but I'm not so keen on the wording of "Spotlight Design." I feel like "Spotlight" should still be reserved for parks.

Master Design
    Super Design
    Platinum Design
    ???

Regardless, I think that having some sort of distinction is the best way forward for designs in order to recognize true quality.
  • Cena%s's Photo
    Sounds like a basic idea of my version, but I will take it as a good compromise. 80% in scoring, and then 70 or 75% Yes score. If we only take 2 catagories, normal and the 80% thing, I would call it a Platinum Design, as Gir suggested. If we take 4 catagories, then what I suggested please.
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    Personally I'm perfectly happy with the points system as it is. But I do like the idea of a slightly tiered design system. perhaps "Master Design" as gir suggested.
  • RRP%s's Photo
    Instead of adding more complication to the system with more points,awards,tiers and coding.What about a much simpler system where the community votes if they like something or if they don't (thumbs up,thumbs down) and let the whole comunnity vote.

why?
    While the current system allows people to compare releases based on how many points something recieved. Release A gets 90% release B gets 85% suggests that A is better than B according to the panel.This is rarely the case though. How often do the community really think something is 5% better than something else?
    It's impossible for the panelists to vote a percentage on a release fairly with the ever increasing release standard.Even with a day or two in the viewing time, the votes vary with the small sample that decide the quality.
    Are panelists going to rejudge previous releases in the future when score no way relates to current scoring?

Of course its all subjective viewing and voting. It's also subjective for the non panelists so how can you have a rating system that judges quality when non of the voting is accurate

- Simple good/bad voting means faster input
    - Post release input gives more community interaction meaning more opinions on quality and a bigger opinion pool
    - Quick input means more community input and feedback (not everyone wants to write a review on a release)
    - Quality work still gains recognition (Featured/Most Appreciated)
    - System can be used for all types of release (screens,park releases,object releases)
    - Removes depreciation of votes over time (its good or bad/worth viewing)

samples
    http://www.behance.net
    http://dribbble.com
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    who would thumbs down a piece of work?
  • RRP%s's Photo

who would thumbs down a piece of work?

just a suggestion no thumbs would also work.blank submission would deserve a thumbs down
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    I think when you let everyone vote, what there is now would be gone.
    The panelists are chosen for the reason that they should know what's quality and what not. Also what to judge parks on.
    When you let the community judge you get the improfession of some people that vote a park down because they know someone they don't like made it. (K0NG could be a good example, since a lot of newcomers don't like him.)

The master/platinum design idea is a great idea, imo.
  • RRP%s's Photo

I think when you let everyone vote, what there is now would be gone.
    The panelists are chosen for the reason that they should know what's quality and what not. Also what to judge parks on.
    When you let the community judge you get the improfession of some people that vote a park down because they know someone they don't like made it. (K0NG could be a good example, since a lot of newcomers don't like him.)

The master/platinum design idea is a great idea, imo.

Im not suggesting giving the community a chance to use the current system.The current system doesnt work because its inconsistent over time. The parks that were voted high years ago would no doubt recieve lower scores if revoted on now yet thats what the system is for. To judge compared to a previous release.

Park A that got 90% 2 years ago will not be as good as park B that gets 90% today but that vote will never change. Just look at panelists scores, a submission might get what it deserves but the idividual votes are all over the place.

With a good/not good system the current good submission would still get recognition,the greatest submission would still get recognition over time. A is 5% better than B is what needs removing.Individuals can't be trusted to vote in such detail.

Let the majority decide what they like.If its good, download/flag it.If its not,don't

As an example (sorry to single you out maverix)all 0% votes

http://www.nedesigns.../2001/the-lion/
    http://www.nedesigns...2093/themovies/
    http://www.nedesigns...amusement-park/
    http://www.nedesigns...urbo-rush-park/

I know some of those were removed high/low vote but they are not all of an equal standard of 0%
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    But you have to think about the fact that people weren't as skilled, as they are now, 2 years ago.
    So it kinda works.
    Say Park A was state-of-the-art hacking work and themeing and everything and got 90% back then, he'd have gotten that because his work was above par for that time.
    Park B is state-of-the-art hacking work and themeing and everything and gets 90% today, he'll get it because his work is above par for this time.
    The voting shouldn't be seen as comparing but more as an opinion based on current views.

Just my 2 cents.
  • posix%s's Photo
    RRP, I think the only difference this will do is to make the rct quality measure less accurate. You will probably disagree, but I consider all these score differences you cited perfectly reasonable and correct, and in fact I often agree with a +/- 5% difference when comparing parks.

I'm also not clear on why we want to avoid the time factor? Why is a two years old park having the same score as a new one a problem? I actually really like this effect how you can go back and see this was a park that really wowed people. Would you want the community to go and mass-down-vote legendary old parks because they may no longer be up to par, but just so the statistics are accurate to the latest state of art? That doesn't seem feasible or beneficial to me. I'm also not seeing why a like/dislike or, even worse, a like/thanks-for-ignoring-my-park system solves this. Park1 comes out, gets 100 likes, Park2 comes out 2 years later and also gets 100 likes. How's that different from both having 90%?
  • RRP%s's Photo

RRP, I think the only difference this will do is to make the rct quality measure less accurate. You will probably disagree, but I consider all these score differences you cited perfectly reasonable and correct, and in fact I often agree with a +/- 5% difference when comparing parks.

I'm also not clear on why we want to avoid the time factor? Why is a two years old park having the same score as a new one a problem? I actually really like this effect how you can go back and see this was a park that really wowed people. Would you want the community to go and mass-down-vote legendary old parks because they may no longer be up to par, but just so the statistics are accurate to the latest state of art? That doesn't seem feasible or beneficial to me. I'm also not seeing why a like/dislike or, even worse, a like/thanks-for-ignoring-my-park system solves this. Park1 comes out, gets 100 likes, Park2 comes out 2 years later and also gets 100 likes. How's that different from both having 90%?

I just don't think the quality measure works in the long run thats all. It's relevant at the voting time only like you said and doesn't show long term quality or what the community really think.

Isn't it better to have a more dynamic progressive system that involves the community more (more feedback that people want acording to the poll).

Trim the complicated system while you at it.We just want to see whats good,high quality work gets more feedback - see dump screens. 80% 2 years ago doesn't mean 80% now and revoting everything is out of the question.

Feature (motivation to build) whatevers good at the minute regardless of timestamp or content. If people think its great/relevant again 2 years later, feature it again (Some of the old spotlights are terrible yet still featured, some are not yet lost in the void) so the new users will find them.

Also im not suggesting that good/null vote sytem would be better than park A 80% vs park B 81% system. Im saying that park A 80% vs B 81% doesn't work, and that good/null=feature and a vs b wouldnt exist.
  • K0NG%s's Photo

(K0NG could be a good example, since a lot of newcomers don't like him.)

Says who? I mean, what's not to like?

And MA...since I now look like a child, does it make me more attractive to you? (call me) :bandit:
  • posix%s's Photo
    RRP, sorry I never replied to this.

As I understand your post, you advocate for a filtering system that will, regardless of release date, always show the highest voted releases the site has to offer, and further, never terminate the voting process on a release, right? This would then mean to let the whole community vote at all times?

Two concerns:
    - I would expect this to make the site more static, as changes of what's featured become rarer, and the dynamics you're arguing for are lost. It's very similar to just filtering the DB to a high score of say >80%. The release frequency then, if you neglect NEDC, is between 2-3 months. This is what you would be looking at when visiting the site. Not terribly dynamic?

- Are you okay with armies of new members devaluating old legendary parks? I feel you still haven't answered my question why a picture of a park's perceived quality, taken at the time when it was released, is a bad thing?
  • posix%s's Photo

[ Results ]

style='border-collapse:collapse;mso-yfti-tbllook:1184;mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt'>

mso-border-bottom-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;padding:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
    height:1.0pt'>

6.0pt;margin-left:0in;line-height:normal'> Calibri;mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>#

solid windowtext .5pt;padding:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;height:1.0pt'>

6.0pt;margin-left:0in;line-height:normal'> mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;
    color:black'>Question

margin-bottom:6.0pt;margin-left:0in;text-align:right;line-height:normal'> style='font-family:"Trebuchet MS","sans-serif";mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>Mean

margin-bottom:6.0pt;margin-left:0in;text-align:right;line-height:normal'> style='font-family:"Trebuchet MS","sans-serif";mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>Std. Deviation

mso-border-bottom-themecolor:background1;mso-border-bottom-themeshade:217;
    mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;
    mso-border-bottom-alt:solid #D9D9D9 .5pt;mso-border-bottom-themecolor:background1;
    mso-border-bottom-themeshade:217;padding:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;height:1.0pt'>

6.0pt;margin-left:0in;line-height:normal'> Calibri;mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>2

mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;
    mso-border-bottom-alt:solid #D9D9D9 .5pt;mso-border-bottom-themecolor:background1;

6.0pt;margin-left:0in;line-height:normal'> mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;
    color:black'>Logos should be a requirement for important parks before they
    are released.

background1;mso-border-bottom-themeshade:217;mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;
    mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;mso-border-bottom-alt:solid #D9D9D9 .5pt;
    padding:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;height:1.0pt'>

margin-bottom:6.0pt;margin-left:0in;text-align:right;line-height:normal'> style='mso-bidi-font-weight:normal'> mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;
    color:black'>Agree
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;
    color:black'>4.41

background1;mso-border-bottom-themeshade:217;mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;
    mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;mso-border-bottom-alt:solid #D9D9D9 .5pt;

margin-bottom:6.0pt;margin-left:0in;text-align:right;line-height:normal'> style='mso-bidi-font-weight:normal'> mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;
    color:#5BA622'>0.681

mso-border-top-alt:solid #D9D9D9 .5pt;mso-border-top-themecolor:background1;
    mso-border-top-themeshade:217;mso-border-top-alt:solid #D9D9D9 .5pt;
    mso-border-top-themecolor:background1;mso-border-top-themeshade:217;

mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>4

color:black'>The NE accolades are useful indicators for RCT quality.

background1;mso-border-bottom-themeshade:217;mso-border-top-alt:solid #D9D9D9 .5pt;
    mso-border-top-themeshade:217;mso-border-bottom-alt:solid #D9D9D9 .5pt;

color:black'> 4.05

background1;mso-border-bottom-themeshade:217;mso-border-top-alt:solid #D9D9D9 .5pt;

color:#5BA622'>0.936
    style='font-family:"Trebuchet MS","sans-serif";mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>

mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>10

color:black'>Placing high in official NE contests motivates me to finish
    parks.

color:black'>3.72

mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>1.016

mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>9

color:black'>The opinions that others will post on my park motivate me to finish
    parks.

color:black'>4.04

mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>1.017

mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>1

color:black'>Write-ups should be a requirement for important parks before
    they are released.

color:black'> 4.04

mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>1.029

mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>5

color:black'>When there's a great park I want to open it in-game. Looking at
    screens is not enough.

color:black'>4.13

mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>1.033

mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>11

color:black'>The above questions do not capture what really motivates me to
    finish parks.

color:black'>Undecided
    color:black'> 2.84

mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>1.121

mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>7

color:black'>Winning the NE Design or NE Spotlight accolade motivates me to
    finish parks.

color:black'>3.67

mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>1.190

mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>3

color:black'>Great screens are more entertaining than viewing the respective
    park in-game.

color:black'>Disagree
    color:black'> 2.48

mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>1.223

mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>6

color:black'>Improving my current rank motivates me to finish parks.

color:black'>2.81

mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:red'>1.273 "Trebuchet MS","sans-serif";mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";

mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:black'>8

color:black'>Improving my hall of fame ranking motivates me to finish parks.

solid #D9D9D9 .5pt;mso-border-top-themecolor:background1;mso-border-top-themeshade:
    217;mso-border-top-alt:solid #D9D9D9 .5pt;mso-border-top-themecolor:background1;
    mso-border-top-themeshade:217;mso-border-bottom-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;

color:black'>3.07

solid #D9D9D9 .5pt;mso-border-top-themecolor:background1;mso-border-top-themeshade:
    217;mso-border-top-alt:solid #D9D9D9 .5pt;mso-border-top-themecolor:background1;
    mso-border-top-themeshade:217;mso-border-bottom-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;

mso-bidi-font-family:Calibri;color:red'>1.305 "Trebuchet MS","sans-serif";mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";

I have done some analysis with the data at hand so far, which is N = 83.

1) I used the standard deviation as an indicator of mutual consent among replies. Q2 and Q4 have the lowest values

here, suggesting that people are quite clear they agree that

(a) logos should be a requirement for important releases. This question also has the highest mean answer of 4.41, further

strengthening the conclusion that people agree quite strongly here.

(b) NE accolades are useful indicators for RCT quality.

2) Interestingly, Q6 and Q8, the ones about motivation from current or HOF points, have the highest standard

deviations relative to the other questions, suggesting that there exist relatively diverse opinions in the community on this.

Some seem to be motivated by them, others do not. The means, consequently, orientate towards a value of 3.00. This finding

questions the effectiveness of the points.

3) Q5 has the second highest mean, suggesting that the majority of people agree that looking at screens is not enough

and a good looking park is better opened to see in-game. This matches the mean of Q3, which is the lowest of all questions,

suggesting that on average, people disagree that great screens are more entertaining than looking at a park in-game, the

opposite sense of Q5. I asked for the same info from both perspectives to test people's clarity on the issue, and indeed you

guys passed.

Interesting stuff. Might have a few more of these soon.
  • RRP%s's Photo

RRP, sorry I never replied to this.

As I understand your post, you advocate for a filtering system that will, regardless of release date, always show the highest voted releases the site has to offer, and further, never terminate the voting process on a release, right? This would then mean to let the whole community vote at all times?

Two concerns:
    - I would expect this to make the site more static, as changes of what's featured become rarer, and the dynamics you're arguing for are lost. It's very similar to just filtering the DB to a high score of say >80%. The release frequency then, if you neglect NEDC, is between 2-3 months. This is what you would be looking at when visiting the site. Not terribly dynamic?

- Are you okay with armies of new members devaluating old legendary parks? I feel you still haven't answered my question why a picture of a park's perceived quality, taken at the time when it was released, is a bad thing?

I'm suggesting that the filtering system have multiple time scales. daily/weekly/monthly/all time? of all releases not just finished work.Basically exactly how behance,dribbble etc work with the focus on recent. What the forums are used for now but as the main part of the site. I agree the all time voting would remain fairly static but there would at least be a possibility for opinions to be shown over time.

As for new members devaluing old work.Why not? I don't think ive ever come across a lot of new members thinking an old park isn't up to today's standards. If they did, then the old community will probably agree with them. Old crap usually just gets impartially labelled as nostalgic.
  • gir%s's Photo
    Just a few thoughts...

behance and dribble work because it's simple to look at something straightaway and make a judgement, and there's also a sizable community to do so. I'm not trying to take a dig at the way people view art, as obviously it's more complicated that that, but my point is that RCT parks require you to download a file, possibly unzip something, optionally read a readme, open up RCT, and pour over every square of the park. Only then can you form an opinion that has any value (and one that is worthy of being considered by a review panel). Not to mention the fact that not everyone owns both LL and RCT2, so you automatically have a bias towards RCT2 because more people own it. And to be honest, I don't think the total active community is large enough to handle such a system anyway.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    This is the main problem. The LL & RCT2 problem.
  • tyandor%s's Photo
    The only small problem I have with the current system is the link between the quality vs quantity. Let me explain.
    When you get to judge park I want to judge it on the quality of the park and the achievement it represents. The problem is however if a park has superb quality but 'lacks' the unwritten size rules. To me gold/silver/bronze is about the quality, but you simply can't give gold to a gold quality park if it is a smaller entry for the simple fairness towards the other gold winners who did make a full blown park.

A little tiering in the designs wouldn't hurt either (like gold/silver/bronze design)

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading