RCT Discussion / RCT Architecture

• Micool%s's Photo
    I'd like to thank mantis for bringing this back, because I actually have been thinking about what is in this thread lately. I'd also like to thank my publicist, my... :D

Since I discovered 'modern' RCT, I've always told myself that architecture is an enhancement to the game, something built around rides, to make them look better, and to add atmosphere.

Then, as I was working on my NE Invitational park, I suddenly realized that I had been so caught up in the architecture and structures, I had built nearly a quarter of the park without adding a ride! Now I realize that the main reason I love RCT so much is that it is my ideal way to express my creativity, and I like to do it most through my architecture. I now know why I continue to make these parks without letting people into the parks, while all my friends with RCT think I'm a psycho! It's because I love RCT as an art form.

Architecture is, in RCT1, simply land, raised to create the illusion of buildings. And yet, it is art. And I'm becoming further convinced that RCT architecture should be an art form. Though there are, hypothetically, exactly 14,400 ways to make a 2x2 piece in RCT, there are really only around 100 that are pleasing to the eye, and come across as architecture.

So I think if someone is serious about RCT, they should try to make their architecture interesting and fun, and try new things every time. I'm sure going to try harder, because currently, my architecture is, as I've heard, nice looking, but nothing special, mind-blowing...nothing that really 'stands out.'

And that's what I hope to achieve with architecture in the [near] future.
  • mantis%s's Photo
    Micool is my enlightenment genie.
    Read his words and be enlightened.
  • Coasterking2k%s's Photo

Micool is my enlightenment genie.
    Read his words and be enlightened.

Yes.

Posted Image

Actually, this topic has been very helpful, i'm currently working on a new park and a lot of the things here have helped me greatly. Thanks!
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    Thank you Micool, I couldn't have said it better myself.
  • sircursealot%s's Photo
    I agree. All hail Micool!
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    For the sake of further discussion, you've raised an interesting point mantis. There are buildings in Universal's Outrage (and if I remember correctly womb too) which are constructed entirely out of coaster track. This is something I hadn't considered before. Aero21 made some great looking buildings out of glass station buildings in his DCA recreation but the encorporation of other coaster tracks really takes it to another level. It really messes with my whole idea of what RCT architecture is actually. But since I've only seen this done by mantis and X-Sector and you two did such great job of it I'm pretty open-minded at this point. I'll embrace it until somebody does it badly anyway. I appreciate anything that takes the game further though. Just as Nevis did in UIX with his custom supports and ride ideas, this concept really improves the game I think.
  • mantis%s's Photo

For the sake of further discussion, you've raised an interesting point mantis. There are buildings in Universal's Outrage (and if I remember correctly womb too) which are constructed entirely out of coaster track. This is something I hadn't considered before. Aero21 made some great looking buildings out of glass station buildings in his DCA recreation but the encorporation of other coaster tracks really takes it to another level. It really messes with my whole idea of what RCT architecture is actually. But since I've only seen this done by mantis and X-Sector and you two did such great job of it I'm pretty open-minded at this point. I'll embrace it until somebody does it badly anyway. I appreciate anything that takes the game further though. Just as Nevis did in UIX with his custom supports and ride ideas, this concept really improves the game I think.

Yup - there's the one building in there that's totally coaster track (the dome) and most of the other buildings are partly/completely made from path and coaster track. It loses a little when you 'hide rides', but if you don't then they look pretty funky. I think Aero is probably the first guy to do it, or maybe Kumba (in his unreleased Tambora he had a cool.....wait, it's going to be released, isn't it?). I guess the only problem is you have to be patient, very patient, and perservere when things go wrong.

PS I've yet to claim bragging rights for being the inspiration for Outrage ;)
  • posix%s's Photo
    Another very interesting but not easy way of making architecture is "Scenery Stacking". It let's you create incredible looking things but it's definitely not easy to master. I'm experimenting alot with it lately and am more and more impressed how wonderful looking things come out. It's also the key to a detailed looking park. With a good mix of rides and paths it gets even better.
    I think people should use it more frequently, especially the better parkmakers.
  • x-sector%s's Photo

PS I've yet to claim bragging rights for being the inspiration for Outrage ;)

LOL.

Now Finish W.O.M.B fast and show me it so I can be inspired again to make another wacky park ;) :) :D or just show me it as it is now so I can still be amazed hehe
  • Fatha'%s's Photo
    Well Ed since you wanted someone "up there" on Iris's list to reply,I guess I'll give it a go.

My veiw of good architecture is simply. Pleasing to look at.

There you have it.
  • Aviator%s's Photo

Well Ed since you wanted someone "up there" on Iris's list to reply,I  guess I'll give it a go.

My veiw of good architecture is simply.  Pleasing to look at.

There you have it.

Ingenious!!
  • Ozone%s's Photo

Well Ed since you wanted someone "up there" on Iris's list to reply,I  guess I'll give it a go.

There you have it.

Ingenious!!

suck up.
  • Aviator%s's Photo

There you have it.

Ingenious!!

suck up.

:spam:

remember what happend last time you started that, you got our butts banned... dont start it again! Your just mad cause I kicked your butt this afternoon in that little game we played!
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    This ends now. I will not tolerate spam in my topic. How about you two contribute to the discussion instead? I'm sure people are insterested in what you have to say. And Fatha', while I appreciate the Taoist quality of your statement, I do wish you would elaborate. The point is that everyone likes architecture that looks good but what looks good to me may look like shit to you. So when I post saying 'brilliant architecture' and you reply 'it's shit you loon. my dog makes better architecture than that and he doesn't even have an opposable thumb' you can read this topic and see why it looks good to me. See? Now do you have anything to add? :yup: :yup:
  • Nic%s's Photo
    Okay. Lets see if I can do a long post.

To me, architecture has to be new and different for it to be any good. To do something different and varied, compared to all the same crap that seems to surface nowadays, doing something fresh is hard. Look at Generations, the use of rides as scenary was amazing at the time, but now it seems second nature to use rides in the entrance, overhangs, etc. Nowadays people tend to be using Beast to get the effect they want for architecture, using build thru hacks to give the effect they want. These leaves the qustion for RCT1, with the ability for custom scenery in RCT2, where does RCT1 go? We've already seen X-Sector attempting to change the style of buildings in Universals' Outrage, but where can it go from there, whilst remaining fresh and new?

People seem to be mixing path types, fence types and land types to get the effects they want. When RCT1 was released I don't think anyone could imagine where we'd be now, mixing crazy colours and styles together and still making it lok good. (WOMB anyone?)

To be honest, unless someone finds a new style of RCT1 architecture buildings, I think we're destined to keep waslking the same path of building styles.

Anyway, thats my opinion.
  • x-sector%s's Photo
    Well lets see if I can comment on RCT architecture.

Whats good architecture to me hmmmmmmmmm. well I'm a guy thats easily pleased so everything in a way is good to me.

I'm a very big fan of stuff that is different abit more wacky that gives new life to RCT architecture but I also admire people like Joe holland, JS, vTd that can make awesome buildings with out over crowding them with coasters track and everything (which is what I do :))

Big buildings are becoming my fav thing in rct archiecture at the moment aswell. I tried to have a go at them in Outrage and Mantis's Hotel yorba is awesome aswell. I also like when people experiment with different textures and colours as I think this is brave but they have to make sure they don't go overboard and make it look messy.

So as you see everything is good to me its never bad to me it can just be improved. I think every parkmaker makes good architecture some of my favs have to be Harakirii, Mantis, ED, Fatha, vTd, Pyro, JS, SA and joe holland all very different in away but all make brilliant architecture.
  • Coaster Ed%s's Photo
    There is a lot of recycling that goes on with RCT1 architecture definately. I don't think you have to make buildings entirely out of coaster tracks to be creative though. Certainly that concept expands upon what was done before and will take RCT1 parkmaking further but even the Spotlight parks, as good as they are, could have better architecture. Just like no one will ever make 'the perfect coaster' no one will make 'the perfect building' but the more you build the closer you get to that ideal. It isn't just about coming up with new ideas it's about the way you arrange those elements too into something that looks good and interesting.

Creative architecture starts with a creative theme. If parkmakers put effort into thinking of creative themes and architecture to fit that theme than it will continue to expand. It's been said here before that there are only so many combinations possible with any limited game system like RCT where no art can be imported. In fact I think I said that once and Chauncey replied by saying that the variety of styles already produced prove that there is no limit. Well I wasn't sure then but I agree with him now. Or even if there is a limited number of permutations mathematically, it's so high that we'll never reach it. It's easy to rely on proven themes which is why you see a lot of recycling but there are still parkmakers out there who try new things and that will keep the creativity flowing I think.

Oh and let me just add that I appreciate your posts everyone. Hearing other people's opinions and generating a discussion is the only way to really understand your feelings on a subject. It is for me anyway. The purpose of philosophy is not to find answers but to ask questions that make you think right? Not that this is philosophy but perhaps it's something like it.
  • Fatha'%s's Photo
    Oh fine Eddy boy! I'll post my opinion on it later today, with no Taosim ;).
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    I'm more a fan of realism, so I like architecture that looks, well, realistic, without pieces of coaster track sticking out everywhere.

Coaster track is bad.
  • Ozone%s's Photo
    woa, steady aviator. I was never mad, just saying that you were sucking up to Fatha'. Sorry for posting spam in your topic Ed.
    To make up for it, I will illuminate my thoughts on architecture.

In rct1, there was really not supposed to be architecture imo. People were creative and used the ghost train as windows, and wooden coaster pieces as roofs and so on. That is what makes me like rct better than rct2. It is possible to be creative in both, but you must stretch your creativity further for rct1.
    In all my parks so far, My buildings havn't really had a purpose. what i mean by this is that they were simply named "windows" and such. Nothing really inside of them. I plan to change this in my next park, and make my buildings mean somthing. I dont know if this will add much to how the park looks, but if you look closer it will make a difference. at least to me.

If i had more time, I would think of more to say about rct architecture. Maybe later.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading