Related Games / Fred's Funfair

• TwistedHelix%s's Photo
    Fred's Funfair
    Rules and notes

Right now I know I said I wouldn't start hp another thread but just keep everything in my 'Slow descent to madness' one but I was looking through some of the downloads on ShyGuysWorld and came across my old Oakridge family park and really wanted to try another park in that style.

Now if you don't remember the park and what style it was in, basically I built while playing the game. This meant that I had to earn the money to build new stuff and any mistakes (several of which I did make) were permanent until I could fix them. Now to try and keep it realistic I've come up with these set of guidelines.

*One year in updates terms is 3 in game years (this is due to how fast the game goes meaning that I would never make enough to change things and keep it fresh each year until the park had grown quite a bit)
    *Charge per ride but under these guidelines:
    Gentle Rides/Transport Rides: £0.50 - £1
    Small Thrill Rides: £1.00 - £1.50
    Large Thrill Rides/Small Rollercoaster's: £1.50 - £2.50
    Large Rollercoaster's: £2.50 - £4.00
    Food and Drink/Gifts: Varies
    (these may seem a bit cheap but I want to steadily advance not zoom ahead by charging the maximum price)
    *No building above 80ft (THIS PARK ONLY NOT GENERAL RULE)
    *Can't alter local woodland (THIS PARK ONLY NOT GERNERAL RULE)

Now hopefully that made sense. Not related to the game mechanics I will introduce my own story problems from time to time to hopefully keep it a bit fresher but nothing to major (like rides being closed for story based reasons rather than in game breakdowns).

As for the park itself basically it's built on the premise of a combination of my favourite and most popular realistic parks that I've worked on in the past (as always it'll be NCS). In it you'll hopefully see Uncle Fred's Fun Park, Oakridge Family Park and the fairground park I was doing a few months ago. The park itself in located in Devon, UK in amongst some fields (as you'll see) on a small 100x100 map not all of which will be open for me to build upon. Also to made it more difficult I started with £0 cash and a £10,000 loan already taken out so will have to be £20,000 in debt from the start. Should make things more interesting hopefully. The timeline, although not dated is meant to start some where around the 60's.

Anyway enough blathering here's the actual park update.

Hope you enjoy.

--------------------------------------

Fred's Funfair

Well this is Frederick Hanton here setting up this blog for a new park I've had the pleasure of being able to start up. Well I say park its pretty much a fairground at the moment but we'll see more of that soon anyway.

Anyway first some background and such so you can actually see what's going on. Well you see I've always been interested in the amusement industry since I was a kid, never really feeling that I'd like to follow my father with his farming career. Luckily this didn't bother my dad and he has supported me with whatever I wanted to do. Unfortunately lately my father has been finding the farm harder and harder to run what with having opened a farm shop several years earlier, and his work force slowly dwindling as factory jobs seem to be more favourable these days. This meant that he was left with too much land to work with his farm hands he had left.

Posted Image
    (father's farmshop)

Now this is where his support was shown the most. A local fairground was selling up. The owner, too old to carry on with the business and a good friend of my father agreed to sell several of the rides to me so with first pick of the rather large selection of rides he had available me and my father headed down to the bank to see what kind of financial help I could get. Several thousand owed to the bank later (£20,000 in total) and we have a few of the rides my fathers friend was selling (the rest went to local travelling fairs) and thanks to my father generosity a small strip of land next to his farm shop to build on.

Posted Image
    (this photo shows the land I have to use (the strip in the same field as the farm shop) initially, as well as the field behind it which is owned by my father and up for negotiation if things go well)

Clearing the field and enlarging the carpark left us with £10,000 left which we piled into as many of the rides as we could afford and some stalls to get us up and running.
    So with no money left (barely enough to hire the ride operators, mechanics and cleaners.) we opened up and hoped for the best. Also of note while I remember. We have a building height limit of 80ft and the trees you see on the overview are protected woodland and aren't to be touched. Both of these are a bit restricting but not the end of the world. Anyway here's how the first day went.

First Day Report:

Posted Image
    Arriving early in the morning you can already see several guests inside the small fair and the rides starting their testing for their debut.

Posted Image
    Hey look its just like Disney's Mainstreet. No seriously this little lined avenue leading up one of the fair's thrill ride's, The Cage, is our small little mainstreet where you can find several small stalls with various fairground games (darts, coconuts shy's and the such). Interestingly the first bit of bad news is the basketball game you can see to the side isn't open as we couldn't find the staff to man it which was a shame but oh well. Still you can buy a cookie to cheer you up.

Posted Image
    This side of the fair houses both of our rides for our smaller guests as well as well as a burger bar. Both the slide and the Carousel did rather well on the opening day which was nice. The Carousel especially was getting good reviews, which was a bonus considering we'd spent some extra money replacing some of the horses and painting the rest.

Posted Image
    Now for something that's not such good news. This is our ticket hut and Fireball our Roll-O-Plane, both of which failed to make their debut on the first day. Fireball was a real shame as were waiting on its engine which had been accidently loaded onto the wrong trailer, ending up at some other park. It should hopefully be here soon but we were told that several weeks ago so were not holding our breaths. The ticket hut however is waiting for a new ticket machine and although a pain it just meant that tickets had to be bought at the rides so queues were a little longer.

Posted Image
    As it started getting dark another problem was highlighted (no pun intended). A lack of lights meant it was impossible to see as soon as darkness descended so we had to close the fair up early. Will have to get this sorted as you cant have a fair that doesn't open at night. Still I managed to get this photo of Rotor before the light disappeared. (The thing in the background is Rotor's trailer in case your wondering. It seemed as good a place as any to leave it if you ask me.)

Anyway that's all for now. Opening day had mixed successes with the rides that were open doing well but still only having four of them there and longer queues due to the tickets hut being closed meant that the crowd wasn't visiting just for the fair, most were just popping in after doing some shopping to keep their kid's quiet. Still I'll hopefully be able to return with another update soon where hopefully everything is working fine and money and excitement is rolling in.

Till then.

F Hanton.
  • RCTER2%s's Photo
    The concept is good here. :)
  • FredD%s's Photo
    I didn't know I had a funfair.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    ^ :lol:
  • Cena%s's Photo

I didn't know I had a funfair.

When I red the topic title I thought you were the creator. :p
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    I don't get it. Having a funfair is not really an excuse to just use vanilla rides and shops and leave them unthemed. There's a lot of atmosphere and sleezey construction that goes into funfairs that this really isn't capturing.
  • leonidas%s's Photo
    I just don't like the looks of bare NCSO RCT, unless it's done really well. I'd recommend you to either download some custom scenery, or experiment with NCSO to create that typical funfair vibe.
  • TwistedHelix%s's Photo
    Replies:

RCTER2: Cheers

FredD, Loius and Cena: Lol if your nae is Fred Hanton thats an amazing coincedence.

Cocoa and leonidas: Well I wouyl love to have a the whole really themed vibe (or randomly themed rides) like you see at real fairs but its built with the money I make in the game (its done the same way as Fatha's Shitfaced topic) so this was all I could afford while attempting to make it look realistic. The plan is for it to look nicer as I get the money to improve it.

Mid Season 1 Report:

Well I'm back again with a quick update. Firstly the generator for Fireball finally turned up and we got it up and running, which was useful as its turned out to be our most popular ride with queues extending out onto the path.
    Posted Image

We also managed to get the ticket booth up and running which meant that ride waiting times were shortened as they could buy their tickets here rather than having to pay at the ride.
    Posted Image

This pictures shows that the basketball game is still not running yet, mainly due to us forgetting about it but also due to funds not being there to hire anyone still. This also highlights the fairs main problem at the moment in the form of the litter everywhere. The one cleaner we have obviously isn't enough for the hundreds of guests we receive each week. Dad can also be seen in this photo in front of the dart board gamestall in chatting to a guest (bald bloke in brown).
    Posted Image

Finally a attempt at a overview of the fair from the top level of Rotor. Shows how busy we really are and also that we got lights installed so night time operations are very viable.
    Posted Image

All in all the fair is doing pretty well at the moment and we hope to be able to introduce a new ride next season to keep the visitor numbers up. I'll be able to report whether this will be possible later in the season though as at the moment funds are once again a bit tight.

Till next time.

F Hanton
  • Top Gun%s's Photo
    I kind of like this. I really like the "dingy" feeling it has. I think I see where this is going.
  • leonidas%s's Photo
    Oh wauw, you're really playing the game. Haven't seen that in a while.
    In that case; have fun. It looks cute. The sandy ground really fives it a festival feel.
  • ScOtLaNdS_FiNeSt%s's Photo
    I like this man :) its just alot of fun, If your thinking about adding a coaster try and give it the feel of a travelling coaster nothing to substantial.
  • TwistedHelix%s's Photo
    Replies:

Top Gun: Thanks and dingy would probably be a good way to desribe it, after all its some second hand rides in a field lol.

leonidas: Thanks and yer I havent seen one since I did it with Oakridge Family Park so thought I'd give it another go.

ScOtLaNdS_FiNeSt: Thanks and dont worry to much about large coasters don't forget were in the sixties ride wise with the park at the moment so the largest coaster it coudl get would be a big woodie.

Late Season 1 Report:

Well I've just got a few pictures for you all at the moment including these couple of night ones which is when the fair and rides really look nice.
    Posted Image

Posted Image

These two above show both Fireball (the Roll O Plane incase I haven't mentioned its name) and The Cage.

The others are these.
    Posted Image

Posted Image

Now the Burger Bar was moved a few weeks ago to make this walkway (instead of blocking the path like it used to). Then a week later this trailer arrived with Spin Out on the side. Now despite the basketball stall not opening all season we've still made some money and we decided that rather than getting the basketball show up and running for our second season a new ride would be much more crowd pleasing. Now although I obviously know what the new ride is I'm afraid you'll have to wait till next season to find out.

Posted Image
    This one shows my fathers farm shop at night which although not much to do with the fair he wanted me to post it here for advertising sakes. Dam man and his free advertising.

So that's all for now. I may do one more report before the end of the season and will try to get the earnings and ridership stats for the rides in case your interested in that sort of thing.

Till then.

F Hanton
  • Cocoa%s's Photo

Well I wouyl love to have a the whole really themed vibe (or randomly themed rides) like you see at real fairs but its built with the money I make in the game (its done the same way as Fatha's Shitfaced topic) so this was all I could afford while attempting to make it look realistic. The plan is for it to look nicer as I get the money to improve it.

why bother showing us unfinished, inferior work then? this isn't really an rct3 forum and if you want us to respect your stuff, you got to give us the goods. not trying to be harsh, just realistic.
  • TwistedHelix%s's Photo
    Well I was just building on a different perspective. I mean I can stop if its really not liked or if people would prefer me not to post all the updates and just use the thread for what I would say were good shots of the park. I mean that might work as it's being shown on several forums not just this one.

Would that work better?

Honestly not trying to be combative just asking if that would be prefferred?

Cheers

TwistedHelix
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    Yeah, post just the best screens and that might be better :p I don't really want to scroll through pages to find the good stuff.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading