Custom Scenery Exchange / Just inquiring about scenery needs

• render8%s's Photo
    Hi everyone, just wanted to post a question about some custom scenery stuff. I really wasn't sure if this fit in with the Basic Chat category as i didn't want to litter the custom scenery board with questions. Now, after reading through the replies in my pumpkin thread, I noticed a lot of stuff was brought about the need for roofing objects, but aside from the that, I was curious if there was really much desire for landscaping objects, things like flower beds, trees, hedges, bushes, etc.

One thing I wanted to specifically ask was I am currently working on some ideas for landscaping and was kind of in process of making some box hedges for paths. Now, I noticed that the game originally came with something like this, but it was super thin like a wall. The idea I've been playing with would actually be a 1/2 tile object, so it actually has some dimension to it rather than just a flat look, which honestly, I never really thought looked realistic. Would anyone be interested in hedge stuff like that or do you just prefer the flat thin look? I've got a lot of options on making stuff with dimension I just didn't know if anyone would have use for it.

Here's a quick little concept I was working on to give you an idea of what I'm going for. it's not even properly setup just yet, but I was more testing the idea to see how it would appear. I'll still have to do some editing to make it blend properly, but you get the idea.

Posted Image Posted Image

The roofing projects are going to take me some time, so I thought I would kind of work on some other less aggravating things as side projects and get me in the practice of things while I'm coming up with some architectural things at the same time.

I've been kind of browsing through screenshots of new parks and stuff around here as I find time and seen there always is some form of landscaping stuff being used, so I just kind of thought there would always be a need for things like this. Sorry for my long drawn out question, I just tend to be very specific about things. Just gives me better ideas on how to approach projects.
  • Fizzix%s's Photo
    I like the dimensional hedge idea, although I'd prefer them to be 1/8 tile, but 1/4 tile long. 1/2 tile would be very prone to ghosting.

As far as trees and shrubs go, I think new and nice looking objects will always be used.
  • Xtreme97%s's Photo
    It looks like a nice object but I agree with Fizzix, make it half of a quarter tile. Also be sure to make it re-colourale and if possible, zero-clearanced so it's easy to place.

About other objects, I think some new textured quarter blocks would do nicely. And some new rooves for general purposes as well as specific themes will go down well with alot of members.
  • render8%s's Photo
    Thanks for the feedback and glad the idea works ok. I'll try and do a few different types of bushes and trees, even do recolorable. Now you mentioned new textured quarter blocks, did you have anything specific in mind for that?
  • Arjan v l%s's Photo
    I think you're doing great work here render8.
    Taking the time to create new objects is very apreciated. :)
    If i may add: diagonal quarter blocks in various textures as well as the normal quarter blocks are currently, would be a nice addition as well, and maybe some quarter diagonal trims/fences?
  • Xtreme97%s's Photo
    Nothing specific but there's always need for different brick/stone textures. I guess just some quarter tile versions of some of the wall types. Also, perhaps some quarter tile versions of some of the fences that are commonly used?
  • JJayMForce%s's Photo
    Nice job render, and thanks. I would personally love to see a quarter tree. Nothing specific, just a basic looking tree. Not sure if you could accommodate, but it would help out!
  • Xeccah%s's Photo

Nothing specific but there's always need for different brick/stone textures. I guess just some quarter tile versions of some of the wall types. Also, perhaps some quarter tile versions of some of the fences that are commonly used?

I second this.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading