Theme Park Discussion / Six Flags Interview

• Dark_Horse%s's Photo
    Hey guys,

So I applied online to my local Six Flags as a Ride Op (with Guest Relations as a second choice, can't remember my third choice, probably main gate/tickets) a few nights ago. I got a call today going through the quick pre-requisites (asking about my age, adhering to grooming guidelines, etc.), and am scheduled for a personal interview on Monday, June 18. I know some of you have worked as ride ops, specifically, so I was wondering if you could offer any advice or suggestions as to what types of questions they typically ask or anything in general that might come in handy. Keep in mind that I have worked at WDW, but that was through the College Program, which only required a phone interview. Also, while working at WDW, I worked at one of the resorts, and not in one of the theme parks (really wish I had taken advantage of the EHH).
  • MorganFan%s's Photo
    Present yourself as more of an actor-type and a likable person so that they will put you in ride-ops. I don't really know any other advice.
  • Top Gun%s's Photo
    Be nice(obv), be respectable(obv), and try to be very outgoing as guest interaction is a big part of being a ride op. Tell them you are a huge fan of roller coasters/thrill rides and you already have a good understanding of how they work and operate. Also let them know that keeping the guests safe is very important to you. That's what I did when I got the job at Carowinds. Good luck!
  • nin%s's Photo
    They're going to ask you quite a bit about working in a team setting, possibly even leading a team in some sort of situation. In my case, I told how I led both the media group and trumpet section (section leader) during various competitions throughout my senior year, and how I was a drum major, etc. I'm sure I told them a bit of previous work experience, though I didn't want them to get the idea that I was wanting to get back into food service.

You still may want to mention the WDW experience, especially since Six Flags is big into guest communication/interaction. Just knowing that you're good at that will be beneficial to you.

Really, as long as you show that you're willing to work there, and possibly that theme parks are your thing (which is what I did), then you should be fine.

Six Flags is a pretty cool place to work as long as you have fun with it. I see plenty of people hating simply because they're unwilling to do just that. Good luck dude!
  • Dark_Horse%s's Photo
    Thanks for the tips so far. I've checked online, and the questions seem fairly easy, and many people get hired on the spot. One of the things I definitely have to remember is to smile. Right now, the interview is scheduled for Monday, June 18, so I'll let you guys know how it went.

Also, since my career goal is to become a theme park manager, would a good answer to "Why do you want to work for Six Flags?" be:

My career goal is to become a theme park manager, so working for Six Flags is a great opportunity to network with others and gain more insight into the field.

• Top Gun%s's Photo
    Sounds good to me.
  • ScOtLaNdS_FiNeSt%s's Photo
    Sounds good, But say a six flags themepark manager. Last thing they want to do is give you the job and all the training for you to fuck off to another park :p Shows you are commited to six flags.

Good luck :)
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    My cousin had one of those interviews once and when the manager asked him;
    ''Where do you see yourself in 5 years?''
    My cousin just pointed at his chair and said;
    ''In that chair.''

He got the job.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    Tell them you play a lot of RCT.
  • verti%s's Photo

Also, since my career goal is to become a theme park manager, would a good answer to "Why do you want to work for Six Flags?" be:

Not necessarily. You're better off explaining that you're a theme park enthusiast and have always enjoyed going to Six Flags because of that. Most employers frown upon people who assume they're capable of high level management at an entry level position. They mostly just need you to be enthusiastic about their brand.
  • Brent%s's Photo
    When I went in for my second or third interview for Disneyland I was also with this girl who just kissed ass way too hard, seemed fake as fuck and you could tell the interviewer didn't like her at all. Needless to say, I got hired, she didn't. So yeah, don't over-exaggerate and you should be good.
  • Top Gun%s's Photo
    Also not sure what ride you're going for, but take my advice; do NOT get stuck operating a Stand-Up. People will nag you to death about how their feet can't touch the ground and how painful it is. They are fun to drive though simply because there are more buttons to push. :D
  • Dark_Horse%s's Photo
    Turned in my paperwork today. My Discovery date is set for Saturday, 9-1
  • Dark_Horse%s's Photo
    So I finally got World Class Service training and OTJ training. I'm currently trained as a Shipwreck Falls operator and also a Looney Tunes Movie Town area op. Just want to than everyone again for all the advice and suggestions.
  • Brent%s's Photo
    Nice, congrats man... working at an amusement park/theme park was definitely the most fun at a job I have ever had. Especially at Disneyland, it just felt really rewarding making so many peoples days great coming from all over the world. Hope it's just as fun for you.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading