General Chat / Aurora Shooting

• Ling%s's Photo
    For starters? Certification. Classes aren't expensive, and they can be done in any approved center (my closest is just about 30mi away). Less congestion than a DMV, and a hell of a lot more fun. This also gives instructors/trainers a chance to actually deal with the people getting certified more than the 30 minutes you spend at a counter when purchasing a firearm where they just call in to see if you've ever murdered anyone or been kicked out of the military.

Hell, maybe even have different "levels" you can work up to prove you're capable of wielding more intense stuff like semi-auto rifles, sniper rifles, high-caliber handguns, etc. Start with basic certification like hunting weapons, then maybe handguns, then home defense shotguns, with varying degrees of "combat" training and marksmanship instruction. Would work similarly to drivers' licenses.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo

For starters? Certification. Classes aren't expensive, and they can be done in any approved center (my closest is just about 30mi away). Less congestion than a DMV, and a hell of a lot more fun. This also gives instructors/trainers a chance to actually deal with the people getting certified more than the 30 minutes you spend at a counter when purchasing a firearm where they just call in to see if you've ever murdered anyone or been kicked out of the military.

Hell, maybe even have different "levels" you can work up to prove you're capable of wielding more intense stuff like semi-auto rifles, sniper rifles, high-caliber handguns, etc. Start with basic certification like hunting weapons, then maybe handguns, then home defense shotguns, with varying degrees of "combat" training and marksmanship instruction. Would work similarly to drivers' licenses.

Love the idea.
  • MorganFan%s's Photo
    The best thing to do in this situation would be to change the mindset of America. We need to figure out that it's ok to not have hate around every corner. Hell, peace is what the older generation was fighting for, now they're making it worse by going in the wrong direction. To be blunt, I really fucking hate America, and the image that we portray when people all over the world hear about this unnecessary violence. Psychology is the key to winning any war, even when you're the enemy. But when nobody wants to make the change, it's time to reverse the action and figure out a new way to fix the problem.
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

While I agree we have more, what you have to consider is the effect the simple difference in population has on that statistic. The issue here should be identifying the nuts, not trying to pull guns out of the system.

Not speaking strictly about mass murderers, but about policemen who think it's necessary to shoot a guy 84 times.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo
    Attached File  loooool.jpg (8.16KB)
    downloads: 3
  • Ling%s's Photo

Not speaking strictly about mass murderers, but about policemen who think it's necessary to shoot a guy 84 times.

Not an issue of overzealousness, probably an issue of accuracy. I believe the article said he was fleeing. I doubt more than one or two rounds actually hit the guy.

And Morgan, you're seriously suggesting "Oh let's just change the mindset" of an entire country?
  • MorganFan%s's Photo
    It is a lot easier than you think if we have the right leaders and the right approach.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    hahaha you're adorable.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    Yes, there are a lot of both adorable and questionable mindsets in this thread.
  • Camcorder22%s's Photo

The best thing to do in this situation would be to change the mindset of America. We need to figure out that it's ok to not have hate around every corner. Hell, peace is what the older generation was fighting for, now they're making it worse by going in the wrong direction. To be blunt, I really fucking hate America, and the image that we portray when people all over the world hear about this unnecessary violence. Psychology is the key to winning any war, even when you're the enemy. But when nobody wants to make the change, it's time to reverse the action and figure out a new way to fix the problem.

This is what I meant in my earlier posts...a culture based on hate and violence is the real problem. Everyone is a product of our culture, even the "crazy" ones. Also...its kind of "adorable" how people (not just Sammy) use cynicism and pessimism to act like they're mature and more rational/intelligent than others. Although I can't imagine any political leaders bringing significant cultural change to the country, the framework for a major cultural shift is already here with social media. We've seen it already with successful movements like the fight against SOPA/ACTA etc, and less successful ones like the Kony campaign. Events like in Aurora are going to keep happening and getting worse, and eventually people will get fed up and realize the path our society is heading down. I guess the real issue is that its easy for some sort of "anti hate & violence" movement to be purely rhetoric and not actual action.

I was also going to post something long about how legalization and promotion of occasional, highly regulated, and informed use of psychedelics such as cannabis, LSD, and MDMA may have a positive effect on society in terms of reducing widespread violence and hate, but you guys can look into that on your own if you want.
  • Ling%s's Photo

This is what I meant in my earlier posts...a culture based on hate and violence is the real problem. Everyone is a product of our culture, even the "crazy" ones. Also...its kind of "adorable" how people (not just Sammy) use cynicism and pessimism to act like they're mature and more rational/intelligent than others. Although I can't imagine any political leaders bringing significant cultural change to the country, the framework for a major cultural shift is already here with social media. We've seen it already with successful movements like the fight against SOPA/ACTA etc, and less successful ones like the Kony campaign. Events like in Aurora are going to keep happening and getting worse, and eventually people will get fed up and realize the path our society is heading down.

Based on what? The Virginia Tech shooting was much, much worse than this.

I was also going to post something long about how legalization and promotion of occasional, highly regulated, and informed use of psychedelics such as cannabis, LSD, and MDMA may have a positive effect on society in terms of reducing widespread violence and hate, but you guys can look into that on your own if you want.

This should have happened years ago... hopefully with the lack of resources to do the "war on drugs" it will become less of an issue.
  • Gwazi%s's Photo
    The fact that we can even compare shootings is pretty sad though, gotta admit.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    And on top of a guy getting shot 12 (!) times right ON Times Square:

Shooting at A&M University Texas. "dozens injured".
    Wonderful.
    All that gun loving is turning out great, isn't it?
  • Arjan v l%s's Photo
    quote name = Camcorder22

[/quote]

Legalizing Cannabis wouldn't be such a bad idea in the U.S.A. ,since criminals will lose business when it becomes legal. I wouldn't legalize LSD or MDMA, they will do more harm then good. It might make the product 'safer', but it still remains a highly (mind)killing drug.
  • Ling%s's Photo

Shooting at A&M University Texas. "dozens injured".
    Wonderful.
    All that gun loving is turning out great, isn't it?

Law-abiding citizens are not allowed to possess weapons on school campuses.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    What's your point? I didn't say that he was allowed to carry it.
    It was the same point I was making 2 weeks ago. It's the one that can not be disproved.
    If you make gun and excessive ammunition ownership legal, you'll end up with more shootings.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    Oh, god. Just fucking stop. You both know neither of you are going to change your mind.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    This is a discussion board. Get used to it.
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

This. What's the point of a forum if you're not going to discuss things?

So we had Aurora, then the temple shooting in Wisconsin, then this Texas shoot out, all within a month. Sigh.

I thought the A&M thing happened nearby campus, not on campus. Which means he was legally allowed have that gun to polish and look at all day. but I guess he decided to shoot people with it.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

If you think this is discussion, no wonder it's not going anywhere. Have fun with that yelling over each other thing.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading