General Chat / NE 2012 U.S. Election discussion.

Democracy

• AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

it's already legal. they can't re-legalize it. the only thing they can do would be to ban it, but it doesn't deepen their pockets. i don't know all the ins and outs but the government runs like a business and making it illegal wouldn't benefit their business, so why bother?

but good question... for them. not me. :)

I think Austin was referring to gay marriage and marijuana, but I don't want to speak for him. But yes that luncheon-slime is disgusting. I'm a little revolted thinking about how much of that I've consumed...
  • RMM%s's Photo

I think Austin was referring to gay marriage and marijuana, but I don't want to speak for him. But yes that luncheon-slime is disgusting. I'm a little revolted thinking about how much of that I've consumed...

that's what i thought at first and i had a paragraph or 6 typed up before i deleted it, thinking, "oh he was probably referring to pink slime".

i don't think i need to explain why government and special interest groups benefit from marijuana being illegal. and gay marriage is illegal because they are dicks and they get off on the power.
  • Jaguar%s's Photo
    I must admit, the merilization of legijuana is like the koolest thing doodz. Ferget public aid and healthcare, its for the public interest.

Now, I have a SPECIAL INTEREST that you can all hear. A small city located a few miles from my town has more boarded up windows and crazy homeless people than you could imagine. Plenty of disabled people and struggling families need financial assistance, but the moron with an i-phone and escalade has already taken the last soviet block. Oil prices are skyrocketing and people still like in disgustingly excessive frankenstien homes and drive two mile per gallon military vehicles with cup-holders. Cuzin Billy-bob is protesting for tea bag party demands and god-awful vigilante immigration laws. Cities that actually matter (Sorry sunbelt cities, but you are but a cultural hole for the rest of this country) like chicago (Greatest city in the US), cleveland, detroit, pittsburgh, and baltimore have crumbled into crime-ridden segregated zones with corrupt politicians, tensions, and a burning smokestack representing the fires of mordor to only remind us of how we used to be. That is, a strong manufacturing society. It is time we crawl out of the "I don't care age."

JAGUARKID 2016
  • Ling%s's Photo
    That sounds like a really bad pitch for a graphic novel a la Watchmen.

But the issue of marijuana isn't so much an ideological one as it is an economic one. The services that fight this "war on drugs" are all federal and state tax-funded ones. If we stop fighting, either taxes can go down or the money can go elsewhere.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    I always feel like drugs should be handled with care. I mean, not everyone is allowed to sell alcohol and I feel the same should go for marihuana/hemp/w.e.
    If they'd just give permission to produce/sell weed to those who produce quality stuff and who are able to tell about the dangers, nothing would go wrong. I think.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    Yes, but think of all the side effects! How will the nation cope with a Taco Bell shortage?!
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    That, I don't get, at all.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    Marijuana makes people hungry. Taco Bell is like... THE stoner food. Living in a college town with a single Taco Bell (cheap Mexican fast food place in America) - trust me, I speak from experience.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    Well that's one very good point you make there sir.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    Taco bell will have to hire mlre employees to cope with increased demand. More jobs yaya.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    Thinking about it, the buildings will have to get bigger so they can turn up their production and to place more guests. So even more jobs for the building section!

Holyshit. This would solve the crisis.
  • Jaguar%s's Photo

Thinking about it, the buildings will have to get bigger so they can turn up their production and to place more guests. So even more jobs for the building section!

Holyshit. This would solve the crisis.

It isn't that simple.

Here are my two-cents:
    I honestly don't understand why people argue about this all the time. Quit wasting your effort, things like renewable energy are 100,000 times more important than helping the stoners. Sorry, but the world isn't perfect, and although it might be better to decrease punishment for drug use, it would be best not to use it at all. Legalizing marijuana will just allow corporations to make profits out of stupid people while supplying jobs that are mostly low wage.

People say there are no negative side effects, but I can only smell the b.s. of that statement. If you wouldn't want a surgeon or pilot to be a stoner, then it's bad, plain and simple. Not to mention, all the kids that are completely fried due to their negligence. Most people that smoke believe non-smokers are all disgruntled tight-assed "sheeple." It all comes down to who has more responsibility? Who is more mature? The US is full of immature, irresponsible people and the number of them is rapidly rising, presenting the pinnacle of the "I Don't Care Age." I have no problem with legalization, but until people can pull up their bootstraps and realize that the world is not a cartoon, but a serious place that we all have to take part in and work hard. Until I see that, I cannot see it ever happening until we refine ourselves

Elect Jaguarkid140 2016. A vote for me is a vote for the free.
  • Ruben%s's Photo
    You know the number of hard drug abusers in the Netherlands is really low? I believe that by creating a grey zone between ''legal drugs'' like alcohol and tobacco, and hard drugs, you can avoid abuse of the later category. In America, once you start doing Marihuana the step to harder stuff is very small. In the Netherlands it's a major gap, so a lot of the youngsters stay at the soft drug side since all the extra risk isn't worth it for a somewhat harder drug, and later on in life a lot of them stop using marihuana again as well. Also, I've never been looked down on by smokers at all, (Never used any illegal stuff, even in the Netherlands those people exist. ;) ) so that's a cultural thing you Americans have and not a drugs-related thing like you make it sound.

So Jag, it's not that scary as you make it believe. I, as a Dutchie that has never used anything illegal, hard or soft, believe that our policy is in fact safer than making it all illegal. It's not ''plain and simple'' like you're saying. I prefer having a dr. smoking someone over one shooting stuff and popping pills every day. Same goes for your zero tolerance policy with youngsters and alcohol. More freedom often leads to less problems and abuse, since you only make things more interesting for teenagers/adolescents if their parents and government say it's bad and they shouldn't do it.

Ontopic: If only Rick Santorum had been the final candidate I would've gone for him. The man opened my eyes. I never knew my grandma was at risk, possibly looking at dying of involuntary euthanasia. If only my government had told me, but no, I needed a rightwinged religious conservative American politician for that. (No seriously, that was one of the biggest epic fails I've ever seen/heard. Blaming an entire country for killing their elderly...)
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    Not everyone is going to turn into lazy ass potheads that isn't already a lazy ass pothead.
  • Jaguar%s's Photo
    Lets be enirely honest though. It only takes 1 person to ruin everything and compared to the Netherlands, the US is much different, and not nearly as homogenous. For example, most of the rural midwest has very little crime. Southern cities can have murder rates almost as high as cities in South America. If it were to be legalized in the US, then it will almost certainly be regulated at a local level just as firearms are.

Also, more freedom doesn't always lead to lower levels of abuse. Teenagers and young adults aren't the brightest people on the planet. If 13 year olds could purchase alcohol (or firearms, but I would really hate to imagine that ), then I could only imagine the chaos and police calls. Another example: 100 years ago (back in the stoopid age), sexual activity was considered heinous and "The Devil's Work." Although now, promiscuity is increasingly common with people that are simply too young, only to leave a rising amount of unwanted children. The fact is, until we can refine ourselves to levels of moderation and compromization that we have never reached, I just cannot see it happening. We are too immature, and just too conceited at the moment.

I am not saying it should remain entirely illegal, I am just stating that we really should give it some time. There are much more imporant issues at the moment
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    Alcohol is much more dangerous to the human body than weed.
    and if I understand your post correct, you wouldn't mind it if your doctor was a drunk but it becomes a problem when he smokes weed?
  • Jaguar%s's Photo
    For Christ sake! You've misunderstood my post completely.
  • ScOtLaNdS_FiNeSt%s's Photo
    Well apparently the US taxpayers spend about 20 billion a year on drug enforcement and investigations, And that doesnt include the money to be payed when the user/dealers go to jail.

So if it was legalized bang you have 20 billion right there
    Then if you taxed it its estimated that would be another 15-20 billion again.
    Obviously its not just as simple as this though lol.

There are probably hundreds of millions of people all over the world that smoke dope and still are valuable members of society who work and pay taxes.
    No doubt smoking to much of it and for long enough does mess your brain up and alot of that is down to what the dealers add to the plants.

Its no doubt alot more money that could be made then i said above. Its a bit of a win/win situation, You could make sure the weed is upto the best possible standard without god knows what the average dealer on the street are putting in there plants and who probably dont even pay taxes,When you could be making billions and billions of dollars making it safer and in the little pot shops that would open up have like an in-shop clinic for people that want help to stop it.(edit) just realised people wanting to quit maybe having it in a pot shop isnt the best idea haha.(bangs head on the wall)

Again its obviously not as simple.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    I still think it's hilarious for a government to ban weed while at the same time making billions on tobacco and alcohol taxes. Bigotry at its finest.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    Just irony. I don't see how thirteen-year-olds come into this though, jaguar. Alcohol is federally limited to 21 and up, why should marijuana be any different?

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading