(Archive) Advertising District / Valiant

• That Guy%s's Photo
    From the dump:

Posted Image

New:

Posted Image
  • Sephiroth%s's Photo
    That new screen... it's so small...

Joking aside, I really like it even though I forgot to say so in the dump. I would love to be flying by the castle down near the water and cliff face.
  • Fizzix%s's Photo
    Intriguing to say the least. Not particularly interesting for me though yet. ;)
  • gir%s's Photo
    I almost wish the pale purple "popped" a little bit more against the rocks, but I still think it's great. Nice interaction with the landscape.
  • posix%s's Photo
    Been waiting for new stuff from you That Guy. I wish I could comment more but the screens are really small. I think you should be careful not to overdo it with the rock texture. I get the impression you use it everywhere, just because. I think you should use it more intentionally, for example on extremly rocky or steep areas of hills to communicate the nature of your terrain more clearly.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    The coaster colours are brilliant, really. The surroundings are fine, but you could make the overall colour scheme even better I think. I see some yellow and dark orange in the second screen, and a more olive-coloured bush. Those are the colours you need to complement the coaster's and the landscaping's colours. It'd make a very strong, colourful, dark and warm atmosphere. Ditch the sun flowers, though. Stick out to much and too light. The first screen is cold. More mud like in the second screen, and a few strategically placed colours in the foliage.

I like the tower in the second screen but I'd stick to one window type. Three options, in that case:
    - no diagonal windows
    - no normal windows
    - replace normal windows with same type as diagonal
    I'm not sure on the red, by the way. Poop-brown for the crown moulding pieces and wooden stuff, dark orange for the windows?

You're onto something... Make it perfect.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    I like the first screen because the drab and limited color scheme of the background make the bold colors of the coaster pop in an amazingly cool way. The blues, reds, greens, peach, yellow of the second make the bold colors look like it's part of a kiddy park.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    Or in other words, the first is how great guys wish those pink polos made them look. The second is how they actually looked.
  • That Guy%s's Photo
    Seph - Interaction is my number one goal with this project. It's probably going to be a hit or miss with people because of how cramped it is (Or at least how cramped I think it is). These screens haven't shown a lot of the key interactions yet, which I hope to display in some larger screens.

Fizzix - I feel like by the next update I will finally be able to flesh it all out. This update was a quest to determine what path I'm going to take on the whole project.

gir - I know exactly what you mean, but the other purple doesn't feel right in a lot of other ways, so for now I'm going to stick with this one unless I change the whole color scheme entirely.

posix - Yes, I'm starting to realize more and more that I'm going to have trouble deciding how much to use the rock texture, as well as 1/4th land blocks. The area is too tight with too much land elevation to not use 1/4th blocks in my opinion, and it always just "feels" right to use the rock texture. I'll probably start reserving it for only where I really want the look. Thanks for the feedback.

Pie - Thanks, you have no idea how many times I stupidly redid that tower. Each different thing I tried kept bothering me in some way, and you mentioned a few of them. Foliage is going to be a big part of this, especially with so much rock. "Dark and warm" is exactly what I'm looking for, it's my interpretation of those pictures I see of Europe, with their beautiful landscapes and dark and rainy feel. Thanks again for the specific critiques.

MA - I created the first screen with that exact drab, colorful look in mind, but I realize it gets old and bland fast, so I'll have to consider changing the coaster's colors because I think the foliage is only going to become more colorful in order to offset the abundance of rock and grey castle. Thanks for the analysis.

To all - The reason these screens are still small is because I'm trying to get some solid planning in place for my landscaping, colors, and buildings, and basically decide the whole direction of the scene, so I really got exactly what I needed from you all to continue some real work on this. Thanks!

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading