(Archive) Advertising District / Avantasia

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Quick random side-project.

Posted Image

Feedback is welcome, even thought this has been submitted already.
  • posix%s's Photo
    It was too funny to see this. Looked liked something I could've made years ago. I couldn't believe you didn't put me in as an entertainer.

One of my favourite peeves from I-thought-I'd-try-LL players: restaurant tables. Two levels, two paths. Give both the yellow supports, not just the top ones.
  • RMM%s's Photo
    ^ i actually though it was you at first.
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo
    Very classic look, but nothing new really. Looks like fun to build though!
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    Hah, no wonder I liked this so much. I needed some "classic" LL in my life.
  • Liampie%s's Photo

It was too funny to see this. Looked liked something I could've made years ago. I couldn't believe you didn't put me in as an entertainer.

That's not entirely coincidental I guess; you were my main inspiration for this. Checked out your parks a lot while building this, though I did not copy anything. You have some skills that I have yet to acquire; for example, the use of paths in architecture. It's very abstract but it can result in whole different looks. Opens more doors for me. Secondly, the architecture in Nagas consists almost entirely out of 1x? sized buildings, as opposed to the usual 2x2/2x3 stuff. Amazing how you did that consistently without it looking weird anywhere. Lastly, I tried to have more subtle variation in my architecture. Less formula-texturing, which is a bad habit (though not by definition).

I'm not quite there yet but this was a useful learning experience. I'm kinda afraid that I submitted this; it might have been better to fill the map with two more of these attempts. Would've made a nice park. Ah well, too late now...

One of my favourite peeves from I-thought-I'd-try-LL players: restaurant tables. Two levels, two paths. Give both the yellow supports, not just the top ones.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly.

Anyway, here are two more screens:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hah, no wonder I liked this so much. I needed some "classic" LL in my life.

Give me a shout when you're in the right mood and you have the right time. Giari Palms has a place for you.
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    Well, if you can wait a month, I should have the time, once I start a new semester here, so basically mid-January.

EDIT: This was seriously the best submission I saw pop up in my jobs for a long time, so thank you for that.
  • Liampie%s's Photo

Well, if you can wait a month, I should have the time, once I start a new semester here, so basically mid-January.

Absolutely perfect. I'll give you access in a few weeks. Or right now, if you're willing to share your thoughts on the current state of the park and maybe discuss some ideas you have. Otherwise I prefer to wait. :)

EDIT: This was seriously the best submission I saw pop up in my jobs for a long time, so thank you for that.

Really? I'm flattered. Not bad for a two-day side project. :)/>
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    Feel free to send it for crit. Again, due to finals, I won't have time to work on it, but I can set aside an hour to check it through.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Yeah, whatever, you're in.

To others: you won't get in as easily. Crowd control and temporary member maximum.
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    A flashback to the days when making a spotlight could take 7 days, rather than 7 years :p
  • Milo%s's Photo
    Classy. I always wished I could build like this. Might give it another shot over break. I'll delete codex off my computer or something.
  • nin%s's Photo
    fuck yeah this is awesome. I love the contained feel of that coaster.
  • pierrot%s's Photo

^ i actually though it was you(posix) at first.

yeah, same here.
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    I've never found the vekoma style track to be aesthetically pleasing in rct (or real life) but the surroundings are quite nice. classy, if a bit boring.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    ^Vekoma track is dead sexy in real life <3

Liam, the last two screens showed the best areas, I just found that some areas were great, like these, but then some parts were totally uninspired and lacked skill.
  • posix%s's Photo

That's not entirely coincidental I guess; you were my main inspiration for this. Checked out your parks a lot while building this, though I did not copy anything. You have some skills that I have yet to acquire; for example, the use of paths in architecture. It's very abstract but it can result in whole different looks. Opens more doors for me. Secondly, the architecture in Nagas consists almost entirely out of 1x? sized buildings, as opposed to the usual 2x2/2x3 stuff. Amazing how you did that consistently without it looking weird anywhere. Lastly, I tried to have more subtle variation in my architecture. Less formula-texturing, which is a bad habit (though not by definition).

Thanks Liam, that was nice to read. I never thought someone would actually look so closely at my works when I built them. Interesting point on the paths on architecture. Now that you mentioned it, I did actually always concentrate quite intensely when using paths on it because it makes a subtle difference in the micro- perspective but has a strong effect on the macro-perspective. And yeah, I was never quite happy myself with my formula-approach designs.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly.

The difference:

Attached Image: SCR1.png

Ah... you make me want to play. Maybe over the christmas break.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Okay, so that's how it's done. Brilliant. :) Nice landscaping by the way.
  • pierrot%s's Photo

Ah... you make me want to play. Maybe over the christmas break.

please!..

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading