RCT Discussion / The Direction of RCT

• RRP%s's Photo
    Openrct would be great,id love something like a cross between NL and RCT.Point to point bezier curve construction with a auto smooth function and the same view and build system as rct2 would be great imo.Oh and the ability to paint faces with textures rather than just colour.On ride viewing wouldn't be needed,NL has that area covered.

As for future rct.I see people continuing to create whatever they like. Id like to see more concept ideas,like designs but without the filler. Oh and less stigmata towards unfinished work.If its a ride or great concept building,surround it in black tiles and release it
  • Levis%s's Photo
    guys you know the sourcecode for rct2 is already released right?

at least I got it ....
  • JJ%s's Photo

guys you know the sourcecode for rct2 is already released right?

at least I got it ....

yup :mantis:
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    THEN FUCKING MAKE US OPENRCT BITCHES
  • Levis%s's Photo
    This was the point I was a bit dissapointed over in the podcast also. People think that having the sourcecode opens the way to making a openrct game. but this isn't the case. in the case of openttd for example they had the code also, we've had the code ever since rct2 is released also. The problem is they started from scratch and try to make it again. There has actually been an attempt by DoctorJ in the past to make a openrct game but he was called back by the community and deserted the project. Later he tried it again with TPB3D to make an openrct3, but this failed because of community interest.
    Making a open rct requires a lot of planning and some people who can code very well. The community as it is now can't deliver this anymore so don't expect it.

About the histroy of rct2 in my opinion.
    We actually see with rct2 what we see everywhere. things go to HD to UltraHD etc. the same trent you see in rct2, people try to build more detailed with every park they generate, trying to find the limits of the technology they have. But you see if with for example movies. A new movie can have realitic looking special effects, the framerate can be higher then we have ever seen before and all the details are perfect. Still people who are watching movies for so long prefer something which was made even before they where born just because of the good story telling (refering to Star Wars empire strikes back or gothfather etc). And I think this is what we need to see in rct2 also.
    You can make a very detailed house or a support which is very detailed but in the end it all boils down to what story your park tells you. and how good the coaster are. Ofcourse if you make a park now like it was made 7 years ago a lot of people probally wont like it because it looks outdated, but the real fans will still dig into it if the atmosphere in the park is good and the coasters are well done. So might I ever release a park then don't expect a HD or UltraHD park from me, but expect a park which will make you question what you see, it will make you think how the hell is that possible, but on the other hand it will make you think "I WANT TO RIDE THAT!!!", and thats what it's all about, and thats what we still need to try to archieve!
  • 5dave%s's Photo
    As far as I know, OpenTTD doesn't use the original engine, it has been copied and re-programmed in C code.
    TTD as well as RCT is no abondonware, but Atari and Sawyer don't seem to care about it being 'copied'. I think RCT is too popular and selled too many copies for this (yet)...

Maybe we as a community should contact those guys who did OpenTTD and work with them?

"MFG"
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    I know it takes a lot of work, that's why I tried to make the comparison with OTTD in the podcast, it took them years of hard work to get it to where it is, it's not really feasible for RCT.

And in regards to OpenTTD. To play it you originally needed to have the orignal game to be able to play it (for graphics etc) but then they spent a lot of time making the graphics.

The same with something I play at the minute, OpenThemeHosptital (corsix-th). You can play it if you have the game to load the graphics without any copyright issues because they dont have the graphics themselves yet.

So yeh, we could make OpenRCT with the code, but the graphics would have to come from the game, if you dont have the game you can't play the Open version, which makes it pointless as if you have the game, you can just play the game, as we haven't got to the point where we physically can't play it at all on the current OS.
  • Wicksteed%s's Photo
    It would be lovely to have a multiplayer mode like in OpenTTD, though.
  • Levis%s's Photo
    Well good luck. extracting the images isn't that hard they are in the gui file and you can use the object files etc ofc. but coding it is a hell. you probally want to code it in C, and open TTD and open RCT would be so much different that I dont see it working together. your best chance is to get people like DoctorJ, Humble programmer and Parkitect on the project they have some knowledge of the game and might help you get started, but you need some people who have experience with making isometric games also Good luck on finding those.
  • posix%s's Photo
    I listened to the podcast. Great work guys, I enjoyed it. It's nice to see how you are putting your minds to the game and community like that. And it was great how you had a nice British-style discussion planned out. I wish nin had spoken more often. At the end I felt like I wanted to know more about his thoughts on the issues discussed. Suggestion: Add the full URL of NE under the orbit for the next one so anyone unfamiliar with the site can more easily find it. Oh and I loved the music too.

I'll add my same old opinion on detailism:

Details increase complexity and are thus perceived as skillful, ergo desirable to have and used to set the "standard" in people's heads. People use this site to prove their abilities. Competitive play is what this is mostly about. So unless your park is highly detailed it's not up to par, meaning you have to "push yourself" to achieve this as one of you said very accurately. However, it's also extremly tedious and tiresome to detail though. One of you said he doesn't care for modelling a park down to the blinds, and I whole-heartedly agree, but take a look at CP6's parks and you realise that's what's happening. So unless you have players who are so exceptionally devoted and passionate like him, you will only see projects that grow smaller and smaller, and are less often finished in the first place, usually not making it further than a screen or two. This is why we're seeing the extinction of the community taking place.

RCT art I think is an interesting and refreshing phenomenon individual members like ivo and Leon brought up, but I don't see it develop into a dominating factor in building culture either.

On new members, I disagree quite a bit. I approved countless new accounts over 2012 and I can't name anyone new where I really see an interesting player developing. In fact the majority of new accounts don't ever even post, so they don't add to the forum culture. This is definitely a problem I'm seeing for NE.

On OpenRCT: you need coding development to make using the game or site more convenient. If that happens yes I see a big boost coming. The problem is that coding skills are extremly rare, and people good at it can usually make a living of it.

Kumba... you did nothing but to re-iterate your greatness, how you won H2H4, how you're #1 in RCT and USA, and that you already foresaw the direction RCT was going to years ago thanks to your genius. None of the other guys felt it necessary to boast like that. When will you learn?
  • Louis!%s's Photo

Kumba... you did nothing but to re-iterate your greatness, how you won H2H4, how you're #1 in RCT and USA, and that you already foresaw the direction RCT was going to years ago thanks to your genius. None of the other guys felt it necessary to boast like that. When will you learn?

That's because none of us are on the level that Kumba is on. He was a guest on the show and so I don't think his boastfulness was a problem, I actually felt it added to the podcast, it was fun to shout 'Plug' etc, and if he wasn't like it we wouldn't have gotten to do that :p
  • Whitehawk%s's Photo

The same with something I play at the minute, OpenThemeHosptital (corsix-th). You can play it if you have the game to load the graphics without any copyright issues because they dont have the graphics themselves yet.

Thanks for that!
  • Levis%s's Photo

I think he actually did learn ..... he learned he can get away with having a ego larger then the miami coastline and boasting about everything all the time ;). Never really gave him any problems now did it :p.
  • Wicksteed%s's Photo
    I think the direction RCT is going to take with the podcast and stuff is that we're only talking about the game and not playing it anymore...
    Sorry, just (half) joking. I really enjoyed the podcast. Good work!
  • trav%s's Photo
    Well, what I was hoping for with the podcast was that people would play the game whilst listening to it ;)
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    ^I did this! It makes it a lot more fun. Seriously, everyone try it. I listened to it 3 or 4 times.
  • zburns999%s's Photo
    That was actually really awesome guys. Well done!
  • nin%s's Photo
    Good to see that this is making an impact everyone. It seems to sparked a bit of interest, which was the entire goal. :)
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo
    regarding Trav saying RCT isn't an art form:

as far as i'm concerned, if an artist claims something is art, it's art. and an artist is anybody claiming to make art. if somebody sees their RCT park as an art piece, they can call it an art piece, and if they don't, they don't have to. and before you ask, "so you can just call anything art?!!", the answer is yes
  • Milo%s's Photo
    So art is in the eye of the beholder? I'm inclined to agree. I honestly didn't really hear anything convincing me that rct isn't art other than "because". There's really no case to be made that games can't be art or art can't be interactive.

Also, minecraft is good. It's pretty much a less niche rct.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading