(Archive) Advertising District / Laguna Lagoon

• Disney Imagineer%s's Photo

Posted Image

Hey guys, I wanted to show you a little of what I've been working on for the past week. I've been planning a new side-project for the past couple weeks. My new side-project is an amusement park called Laguna Lagoon, located in beautiful Laguna Beach, California. Rumored manufacturers on board to help deliver thrilling ride experiences to the park include Swiss coaster manufacturer Bolliger & Mabillard, Gerstlauer, The Gravity Group, Mack, and S&S Power.

Posted Image

Posted Image

More to come!
    -DI
  • Fizzix%s's Photo
    Starting a new project every few weeks means nothing ever gets finished, generally. Of course, I just posted a new project so I don't know how seriously you can take this haha. I like what I see, it seems like a big improvement over the last screen you posted. Love the swirling gardens.
  • gir%s's Photo
    You need to breathe some life into this thing! As it is now, it's very sterile. The scale seems to be a bit large too.
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    definitely change the ground to regular green grass, for a start. And yes, it feels very dead. It needs color, diversity, detailing, etc or it will just feel hollow.
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo
    It's in need of texture.
  • Fisch%s's Photo

definitely change the ground to regular green grass, for a start. And yes, it feels very dead. It needs color, diversity, detailing, etc or it will just feel hollow.

^this

and holy fuck the name of the park..."Laguna Lagoon"?? SERIOUSLY :lol:

I like the architecture, put as Cocoa has said, definitely turn the terrain into green grass where the flowers are and try to make everything a little more lively and not as dead. Nothing seems to be going on in the pictures.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    Not sure if any are needed but I think you'd make a good logo artist for the site.
    New update!

Posted Image
  • Ling%s's Photo
    A little too heavily relying on the "Kraken" color scheme, I think. Also the buildings look enormous compared to everything else.
  • nin%s's Photo
    You're missing the little details, I think. The big structures wouldn't look so 'bad' if there was a bit of balance evident. Add in smaller details and this will look more complete, because as it stands now it's just path and structures. Nothing is telling me that this is a theme park, and almost nothing here is really given a purpose.

Signage, food carts, etc, those sorts of things. Something to give this that extra push.

Also peeps. Peeps help a lot.
  • JJ%s's Photo
    I don't know much about RCT2, but I don't think you're supposed to put deco pieces along every single thing.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    I actually really quite like this :)
    Thanks Louis!

Here's another photo I took last night of the Palm Gardens. I changed the land texture to grass. Much better I think!

Posted Image
  • Dark_Horse%s's Photo
    Change the name please. As for the latest screen. I like the pattern of yhe shrubs, but I don't like the palm trees above them.
    No. This might surprise you but your opinion isn't relevant. If you don't like the name, not my problem. Constructive criticism is one thing, but insults are ridiculous. I might not like the name of your parks, but I never said anything about them, did I? This is my work, and I can make this be whatever the hell I want it to be. Got it?

I worked too damn hard on the logo to piss away the name because you or anyone else doesn't like it.
  • 5dave%s's Photo
    ^I make you a new logo if you get rid of the name. ;)
    But please don't take "Mount Mountain" or "Coastal Coast"...

"MFG"
  • Fizzix%s's Photo
    Clam down DI, he never insulted it. His opinion doesn't have to matter to you, sure, but he never insulted you one bit. And to my knowledge, nobody else likes the name either. Just saying. Do what you want, that's the whole point of the game haha.

As for the screen, I like it. Very clean and inviting. I don't think the flowers on the water make much sense, but maybe that's just me. I do agree with nin about the little details not being there.
    How am I supposed to feel? How would you feel? Look above. What did Fisch say? He laughed at it. That's an insult, is it not? How would you guys feel if one of the members here left comments like the ones above on one of your threads? Especially on a project that you've put a lot of time into and feel proud of. You wouldn't feel very good, would you? Now, don't get me wrong - constructive criticism is great, and a completely different story. I love having it, and seek after it; and many of you have provided me some very helpful critique since becoming an active member on New Element.

Like nin's posts for example. His latest post is something I'm taking advantage of, because I think he made a lot of valid points and since he posted his comment I've taken a lot of heed to trying out his suggestions. I encourage you guys to continue giving constructive criticism, as it helps make my parks better.

Also, for the name, there are a lot of my friends on other sites that happen to like it. You're not necessarily the majority.

I'm still going to continue on posting on this site, because its the most popular RCT forum I know of. I like the name. And like I said, I worked too hard on the logo and coming up with a concept for the logo to let it go to waste, especially when I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. Its a shame my thread only gets attention when I have to stick up for myself like this.

Now, going back to nin's constructive critique, I'll tell you guys a little bit about my plans for the shot posted last night.

Posted Image

The big building you see at the top of the screen is the Laguna Lagoon Emporium. Pretty soon it will be filled with shelves with items and merchandise racks so you guys can know and understand the purpose of it because you're right, if I were to look at it I wouldn't know what the hell it was either, and it is hollow. So I'm going to be working on that.

The lowered land you see in the lower left-hand corner will be for a restaurant, one of which I won't reveal the name of just yet, but I have a vision for that area and plan on constructing inside it/detailing it to get it just right, maybe for the next update.

I also am trying to build my own version of a food/drink cart for the paths, and am studying real park photos to understand the true atmosphere of an amusement park.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    You're combining the criticism of the name with the criticism of the park. Did you really put that much thought into the name? Because it is extremely redundant and quite silly. It doesn't really "mean" anything. 5dave has offered to create you a new logo. And why is the logo so important anyway? If you submit it and it wins, sure, it will need a logo, but that's a ways off, is it not?
    The logo is important to me because I love graphic design. And I appreciate his comment, and admire his logos. What is it to you? Does it bother you that much?

I thought the name was a fun play on words.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading